Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2022, 11:14 AM   #21
Eccentric Old Guy

Default Re: Off Topic, Grandson In Trouble, Phone Scam!

I almost fell for an email scam just a couple days ago. The thief claimed to be an ex-girlfriend who had a rejected purchase for Amazon gift card for her niece's birthday. I responded that I would help out. Was told to purchase a $200 gift card and send it to a different email address. I called the lady, whom I still had her phone number and left a voice mail after explaining why I'm calling. Shortly there after, I receive a text saying she's aware of the situation, apologies that her yahoo email account had been hacked.

The funny thing, is I was willing to send the money, and told the thief I would. It was a good thing I still had her phone number to confirm it was her asking for it.

The thief used the same header of her yahoo email account, but was an aol email account.

This was a cheap lesson!

eog
Old 06-30-2022, 11:51 AM   #22
Jim Brierley

Default Re: Off Topic, Grandson In Trouble, Phone Scam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
Terry, I don't answer my phone anymore unless their name is in my contacts and their name shows on my screen. With the new iPhones if their name is not in my contacts the iPhone directs it straight to SPAM. I tell friends if I don't answer then to text me or leave a message. It has gotten that bad.
I do the same although I do monitor calls when I'm home, and respond to legitimate callers.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Closed Thread