Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-30-2022, 01:44 AM   #121
Lawrie

Default Re: Trip

Country folk are different.
This morning I went out touring around the area of muttaburra, but stopped for fuel at the local servo, after filling up ,there was a young guy filling his work truck, and we spoke about the 33 and NZ as he was recently from there,after my fill up I find my wallet is back in the caravan,the young guy said no worries,as he would pay for it, I said you can’t do that, but he went back into the servo with me ,where I told the lady at the till that I had left my wallet back in the caravan, no drama she said ,just jot down the cost of the fuel and come back when you get your wallet.
Which I did then bought a toasted sandwich and coffee.amazing
I have been to the tip to see if there is any old cars there but none, went into the local museum and saw a real good model A wheel, plus som sold tools ,some same is in my tool box in the 33.
I will stay here for another day or so, they found a big dinosaur skeleton hear a few years back, so there is a lot of fossils around as it was once part of the great inland sea.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 06:47 AM   #122
mercman from oz

Lawrie and his 1933 Ford with Caravan. The sign says "Rough Service" but looking at that mud, it should have said "Slippery Surface"?
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 04:55 PM   #123
Lawrie

Well, first time on this trip the 33 played up yesterday,it dropped a few cylinders after sitting out in the pouring rain all night, I did some sight seeing,( nearly got bogged again)
So when I got back I looked under the bonnet( hood), the engine and the distributor were soaking wet, the left hand terminal cover was dripping with water, so today’s job will be to dry it out,as it’s looking a fine day after the heavy rain.
I had left the 33 parked facing into the wind and the rain must have got in through the radiator
Lawrie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BCE9C9BE-7C64-4907-934C-1857485D8422.jpg (84.9 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg 4E77C047-29B0-49B4-B39B-1992EB2096B3.jpg (53.3 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg EFB8061E-4909-4A6E-B2F7-0F61CBEE7F00.jpg (72.2 KB, 159 views)
Old 07-02-2022, 05:28 PM   #124
mercman from oz

Wet weather stops the 33 Ford with the Distributor soaking wet. Just as well that Lawrie is a real handyman with these old Fords.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 09:08 PM   #125
Lawrie

Easy fix for the wet ignition this morning,I removed the caps and they were only wet on the outside,so with just a wipe over and dried the spark plugs it as good as ever and firing on all 8
Lawrie
Old 07-02-2022, 10:52 PM   #126
cas3

And what if the computer on a modern rig had gotten wet ?
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 12:16 AM   #127
Lawrie

Well ,I’m heading for home today after three days at the car club rally at Clermont,which was a great time, I even won the best dressed male in the Opp shop dressed event,that’s me with the yellow gloves,
It’s a bit of a shock being back on the main roads and glad I only had a couple hundred Kay’s ,before I get on the back roads again,
Pics are some wildlife on the back road ,the 33 after starting in 0 C the other morning, and one of the nice cars at the rally,
The 33 took a while to start yesterday at the servo, I thought , like a dipstick, that it had run out of fuel and after some winding it finally started, was good for the rest of the day , until this morning at Biloela on my final stint before home, I stopped at the John Deere dealer to get a box of corn head grease and it would not start again, I could see the ampmeter moving so new it was not on the primary side of the ign , so took the coil off and once again a self inflicted problem with oil on the rotor and coil, a spray with brake clean and wipe over with a rag,and it fired up like normal with just a prod on the starter.
I should be home in an hour or two.
Have done about 2200 miles, used next to no oil,probably about 1/8 on the stick, highest price for fuel was 2.36 per litre.
Never used any water,but it sure need a good wash as the mud from the effort the other week is every where and will take some cleaning up.plus more stone chips , but other than that no worries
Pics are the 33 just started in 0C deg the other morning,
Lawrie
Old 07-11-2022, 12:23 AM   #128
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrie View Post
Well ,I’m heading for home today after three days at the car club rally at Clermont,which was a great time, I even won the best dressed male in the Opp shop dressed event,that’s me with the yellow gloves...

Pics are the 33 just started in 0C deg the other morning,
Lawrie

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote