Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-29-2022, 04:34 PM   #521
jack backer
BANNED

Default Re: The Terry Burtz 5 main bearing engine blocks are back on track.

Tod is working on a stock appearing high compression head too..try adding some fuel to that compression.. or go the full deal, fuel/ compression / improved exhaust..go to the dark side..
jack backer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 05:53 PM   #522
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack backer View Post
Tod is working on a stock appearing high compression head too..try adding some fuel to that compression.. or go the full deal, fuel/ compression / improved exhaust..go to the dark side..

I think I have a thread on them somewhere. The first ones have already been put on engines. They are over 7:1. I will post them again in a new thread in order to not hijack this thread.

Tod
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 11:21 PM   #523
johnneilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack backer View Post
Its not quite that easy, but I like your thinking...

John
Old 07-03-2022, 09:25 PM   #524
Terry Burtz, Calif

The ZIM NEWARK container ship is at the dock in Savannah, GA, and the container with 156 "New Engine Kits" is being off-loaded.

The "New Engine Kits" will be transported to the distribution warehouse in Franklin, KY where they will be disbursed to buyers.
Terry Burtz, Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 08:51 PM   #525
TinCup

Terry we are in the process of starting the clean up of the blocks for the 5 motors we purchased for here in OKC. With all this heat a little Christmas in July goes a long way. We so enjoyed meeting you and all your crew in Kerrville and would like to say thanks again for the tenacity to see this through.
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 09:32 PM   #526
Terry Burtz, Calif

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCup View Post
Terry we are in the process of starting the clean up of the blocks for the 5 motors we purchased for here in OKC. With all this heat a little Christmas in July goes a long way. We so enjoyed meeting you and all your crew in Kerrville and would like to say thanks again for the tenacity to see this through.

TinCup

Thanks for your interest in the new engine and your comment. Try to stay cool and enjoy the build.

I'm updating the "Builders Guide" and hope to publish a revised guide in the next 10 days.

If you need an adjustable analog modulating relief valve that can be used on a stock Model A oil pump to provide adequate pressure, please contact me at [email protected] and I will provide details. In the next revision to www.burtzblock.com, the relief valves, front, and rear main seals and the special bolts for the oil filter and oil pressure monitoring will be offered.

In total, 616 "New Engine Kits" have been delivered and another 156 are scheduled to be here in September.

156 is the number of "New Engine Kits" that can be loaded into a container due to weight.

Terry Burtz
Old 07-26-2022, 11:48 AM   #527
Jeff/Illinois

A good friend just dropped close to $6K on a stock rebuild of his Tudor motor, with babbited bearings.

He told me this week 'I may have made a mistake. Wish I had spent the money on a new Terry Burtz block'.

His had a small crack and they stitched it.

I thought to myself, but said nothing to him, YES I would definitely have driven down the Terry Burtz Avenue on that project
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 10:58 PM   #528
kenny1930

A good friend just dropped close to $6K on a stock rebuild of his Tudor motor, with babbited bearings.

Just, curios, who was the mechanic, machinist, Babbiter?

Not many guys are babbiting these days Thanks for the info KL
kenny1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 02:42 PM   #529
4bangerbob

I am planning on running OHV heads on the burtz block kits I have purchased. As the rocker arm ratios are 1.5 to 1 using the standard Burtz camshaft with .340” lift would result in too much lift when using the OHV heads. While I thought of using a standard lift model A camshaft I did not want to loose the support offered by the 5 cam bearings that are in the burtz block.

Thus I decided to purchase a couple of camshafts from the burtz group and upon conferring with Terry and determining that there should be sufficient hardness at the resultant lobe configuration after grinding.

I sent the burtz cams and had Jim Brierly grind the camshafts one to his M-58 grind and the other to his M21 grind (specification shown below).

Once I got the cams back, I went and got the camshafts checked for hardness. I had them checked using Ultrasonic Contact Impedance (UCI) method so as to leave no marking on the surface. We wet sanded the nitrite coating off in an area on the lobe where the camshaft is allowing the valve to lower back onto the seat. The testing was done on four lobes total, two on each camshaft. The hardness found ranged from 55 - 57 Rc mid lobe to 59 - 62 Rc near the top of the lobe. So I think the cams should be good for some time. The Burtz spec for the lobe hardness as supplied is 58-62 Rockwell C ranging from 3mm (at maximum lobe lift) to 1.5mm (at cam base diameter).

No. Duration Lift (gross) Clearance
at cam at valve
in. exh.
M-58 280 .295 .444 .010 .015 fair idle, good street

M-21 286 .298 .448 .018 .020 hot street cam

I have attached a copy of the report as issued by Nortech (the company that performed the testing) and another file showing the cams and the areas where the testing was done. There were approximately 10-15 tests done on each lobe section and then the findings were averaged. I can also note that before the nitride coating was removed the readings were lower, about 10-20 points lower, so if someone else tests they should be aware to be testing on base material.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf camshaft testing photos..pdf (1.60 MB, 24 views)
File Type: pdf nortech uci testing report.pdf (388.3 KB, 16 views)
4bangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 10:57 PM   #530
Terry Burtz, Calif

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bangerbob View Post
I am planning on running OHV heads on the burtz block kits I have purchased. As the rocker arm ratios are 1.5 to 1 using the standard Burtz camshaft with .340” lift would result in too much lift when using the OHV heads. While I thought of using a standard lift model A camshaft I did not want to loose the support offered by the 5 cam bearings that are in the burtz block.

Thus I decided to purchase a couple of camshafts from the burtz group and upon conferring with Terry and determining that there should be sufficient hardness at the resultant lobe configuration after grinding.

I sent the burtz cams and had Jim Brierly grind the camshafts one to his M-58 grind and the other to his M21 grind (specification shown below).

Once I got the cams back, I went and got the camshafts checked for hardness. I had them checked using Ultrasonic Contact Impedance (UCI) method so as to leave no marking on the surface. We wet sanded the nitrite coating off in an area on the lobe where the camshaft is allowing the valve to lower back onto the seat. The testing was done on four lobes total, two on each camshaft. The hardness found ranged from 55 - 57 Rc mid lobe to 59 - 62 Rc near the top of the lobe. So I think the cams should be good for some time. The Burtz spec for the lobe hardness as supplied is 58-62 Rockwell C ranging from 3mm (at maximum lobe lift) to 1.5mm (at cam base diameter).

No. Duration Lift (gross) Clearance
at cam at valve
in. exh.
M-58 280 .295 .444 .010 .015 fair idle, good street

M-21 286 .298 .448 .018 .020 hot street cam

I have attached a copy of the report as issued by Nortech (the company that performed the testing) and another file showing the cams and the areas where the testing was done. There were approximately 10-15 tests done on each lobe section and then the findings were averaged. I can also note that before the nitride coating was removed the readings were lower, about 10-20 points lower, so if someone else tests they should be aware to be testing on base material.

4bangerbob,

Thanks for your post with facts (measured numbers) regarding the depth of camshaft hardening.

Your post is proof that the camshaft factory in China is meeting the drawing requirements and our new camshafts can be reground for OHV (Overhead Valve) applications like Miller, Riley, Roof, and others, and still have the needed hardness.

Last edited by Terry Burtz, Calif; 09-02-2022 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Punctuation
Old 09-02-2022, 11:22 PM   #531
johnneilson

Terry,

Can you confirm the material used for the cams?

John
Old 09-03-2022, 04:55 PM   #532
Dodge

I wouldn't think .510 lift would be too much for an overhead but if they use chevy rocker arms you can get them in a 1.25 ratio which would give you .425 lift.

My 2 cents
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote