Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-11-2022, 11:41 AM   #1481
Als48

Default Re: 1932 The Deuce, Dually, Dump Truck

Chris, Looks like a very nice engine show coming up, by looking at the Facebook page. I always enjoy those. Seems like we have fewer and fewer participants as the years go by. No steam tractors, for instance.

Al Hook
Als48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 09:14 PM   #1482
sugarmaker

Al, folks,
You are exactly correct. Hardly any steamers here. All the guys are gone, if they are local no one wants to bring them. Expensive to haul.
So we are shifting gears to try to get tractor pulling as a draw for the younger crowd.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 09:22 PM   #1483
Tinker

Much respect for moving forward. Crank etc.

Probably takes a lot of resources to house and maintain a steam tractor. We have a local farm show coming up. I'll enjoy it and drive my 38 truck with the 1.5hp mccorick-deering in the bed. Not sure I can complain about no steam tractors till I put one in my garage.

Think, the only way you can maintain the culture is with events and a localized place to house equipment and a group of people working in a club and maybe some dues. Like golf. Basically like a lot of flywheeler groups do.

Or complain why there are no steam tractors.

Last edited by Tinker; 07-12-2022 at 11:37 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 09:04 AM   #1484
sugarmaker

Tinker, folks,
Oh we complain a lot! But I try to get new folks involved an try to mentor anyone of any age if they are interested in old iron lots of work and dollars to put a show on. This org has been doing this for 54 years. I have been active here for 8-9 years
I will load up the 32 and take it Thursday morn. Get a 10 x 20 canopy set up for it. Will also have two big Allis WD series tractors, a David Bradley(family) walk behind. A family Massey 8 hp lawn tractor. A Cub cadet 147, and it's implements, ( the train). That will be enough to take care of!
Hope things are good in Ford land!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 07-14-2022, 10:07 PM   #1485
Tinker

Hey good on you Chris. Sounds like a big haul of fun stuff. We all complain. Just human nature.

Just picked up a Troy bilt "horse" tiller from a garage sale. Serial looks somewhere around the 70's. Been looking for a tiller for a bit to have one. My neighbor has a new JD and usually does it.

Amazing how much cast iron is used in a 70s unit. Cast iron, old, cheap, and runs. My wheel house.
Old 07-15-2022, 05:49 AM   #1486
sugarmaker

Ford folks,
The dump truck is at our local show for the weekend. I did put up the 10 x 20 canopy
, And that is perfect for this truck. Plan on taking it in the parade Friday and Saturday. Lots of tractors an lawn and garden equipment here too. Off to get pancakes for breakfast at the show.
Hope things are good in Ford land!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 07-15-2022, 12:42 PM   #1487
Als48

Attaboy Chris,

Have a great weekend!

Al Hook
Old 07-17-2022, 05:22 AM   #1488
sugarmaker

Al, Folks,
About wore out from having so much fun at the Steam and Gas show. Ok we only have one operating Steam system. A staionary boiler. Tractor pulling again today, as we have the 7 classes of heavy weights to compete. We pulled 91 light weight tractors yesterday in about 6-1/2 hours. Weather has been dry and mid 80's. We could use a little rain in our area for the crops. Corn looks ok, beans not so good.
The 32 truck was well recieved and folks like it in the parade. From the previous owner I recieved additional memoribilia about the well driller Perl A Litwiller of Linesvile PA.
I now have a business card of his with a 4 digit phone number. Also on loan to me is a ledger book showing all the water wells he drilled each year from 1946 to 1970. I will try to post some pictures. Very interesting to me that this history was still available.
Off to breakfast at the show. Pictures coming maybe tomorrow?
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 07-17-2022, 05:25 AM   #1489
sugarmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Hey good on you Chris. Sounds like a big haul of fun stuff. We all complain. Just human nature.

Just picked up a Troy bilt "horse" tiller from a garage sale. Serial looks somewhere around the 70's. Been looking for a tiller for a bit to have one. My neighbor has a new JD and usually does it.

Amazing how much cast iron is used in a 70s unit. Cast iron, old, cheap, and runs. My wheel house.
Tinker,
I have a Troy Built horse tiller also. It works great! Very well made machine! My Garden needs water!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 07-19-2022, 08:15 AM   #1490
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaker View Post
Tinker,
I have a Troy Built horse tiller also. It works great! Very well made machine! My Garden needs water!
Regards,
Chris
Sounds like a great show! Mine comes up in about 2 weeks. I'm still wondering what vehicle to bring/haul with. Puget Sound antique tractor and machinery Association show at Lynden Wa. I once had 8 David Bradley walk behind tractors and I too have owned and liked the Troy Built Horse. Chris, you are getting me all jazzed up to start sorting and loading for the show. Haven't missed the 4 day event in 36 years. Christmas is a good time, but 'Lynden' is "The most wonderful time of the year". Now let's see those show pics up !
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 08:23 PM   #1491
sugarmaker

GB, folks,
Still have to go back and get the camper from the show. How come it takes me 3 days to haul items in and out. I think I take too much stuff. Had a lot of fun with the truck. Lots of folks ask good questions too.
Pictures coming.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 07-20-2022, 06:01 AM   #1492
sugarmaker

Folks,
I did get the 32 truck home yesterday. Cheryl went with me and we stopped in Sagertown and had their good soft serve ice cream for supper! Some random pictures from the show.

Great grandsons Cooper and Rhett with their prizes from the kiddie tractor pulls:

The covered bleechers during the big tractor pulls:

Here is the ledger book from the 32 trucks adventures in water well drilling. The book shows all the wells drilled, the size of pipe, depth of well, ammount of pipe used, type of soil, water condition, and some list the cost of the project. Most being under $200!

Tractor pulls. this is the IH pull back tractor with friend Josh at the wheel. I rode the sled for about 5 hours each day.

Grandson Nic with my old Allis "WZ". He does better than I do in reading the track! Nic finished with a first and two seconds in three pulls:

There was a car show that had about 40 cars there over the 3 days. John Kelley was the cooridinator of that event:

Here the pulling track was being watered to improve.

This is a selfie of me and "Killer" as we took a break in the shop:

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 07-20-2022, 09:54 PM   #1493
Tinker

We got about 3"s in 2 hrs a few days back. I had just pumped 250 gallons of lake water into my garden barrel system. So par for course. Rain did kickstart the watermelon.

Nice event!
Old 07-24-2022, 05:13 AM   #1494
Larry32B

Take that radiator cap off and put it in a safe or a safe place!! So hard to find, people steal them at car shows I've read. Someone stole mine while in storage a friends barn on private property. I was lucky to find one for around $700.00 and was happy to pay it. I'm currently restoring a 32 B pickup, my cap is in my safe.
I noticed your missing the rear motor mount that attaches from back of motor (I see the two holes) to the firewall. It's typical they are missing. I had a hard time finding one then all at once three or four showed up on eBay last year, might want to check there
Like the blinkers on to fenders!
I purchased two book set sold by the Ford V 8 club on restoration of the 32 pickup/ trucks. It covers every nut and bolt. Might be some help.
Would like to follow your restoration, keep us posted? Great article and pics you wrote.
Larry32B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 06:36 AM   #1495
sugarmaker

Tinker, Larry, Folks,
We have gotten a couple showers that have helped our garden and farmers crops a lot.

The radiator cap: Well I guess I am too trusting. Yes it should be set in a safe place. Any one know of a cap that will fit as a required?

Going to look a a much newer old truck today. My grandson Mike is a mechanic and is going to do a review of it with me. Maybe a test drive also. Its a 1979 F350. More on that later. No sure I need another, it is close buy and has a good local story and may be a good near original truck. Not a cheap date. Nothing is nowdays anyway. Wife is so happy!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 07-24-2022, 07:20 AM   #1496
DavidG

Chris,

Don't worry about a vibration damper (snubber) mentioned in #1494. '32 big trucks weren't equipped with them originally, only passenger cars and commercial vehicles. (And you already have the books.)
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 07:47 AM   #1497
sugarmaker

David,
Good morning! Yes I remember the steady rod delete on these commercial trucks. Love the 32 Ford Books you wrote also. I need to get back on the 32 engine #1 rework project. It seems summer takes over my life and the engine may have to wait till fall? I sure have enjoiyed taking the 32 dump truck to shows and events, to get it out in the public eye. it seems to always draw some folks to it! Good stories!
The completeness and originality of the 32 dump is a real plus, and speaks highly about the two previous owners taking good care of this truck for 89 years! Even during its work life it was not seriously abused, just used as intended, a good old work truck!
I need to take it for a ride!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 07-24-2022, 01:50 PM   #1498
Als48

Chris, I'm thinking a Ford Tractor cap would fit your radiator. You may have trouble finding one not made for a pressurized system, tho. My 54 NAA Ford uses a 4# cap available at NAPA. PN#

Al Hook
Old 07-24-2022, 02:07 PM   #1499
sugarmaker

Al,
Thanks I will check that out!
Went to review another old Ford truck. 1979 F350. Seems to be very original survivor.
Always nice to see trucks that have a good local story too. Not many trucks make it this far in the Erie area. The salt gets to them quickly.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 07-24-2022, 08:19 PM   #1500
flatford8

Sooooo........do we get to see the ‘79 F-350????......it’s not like you to hold out on us with pictures Chris !?!?!?......I just sold my ‘81 F-100, I think that 300 cu.in. six would run forever.........Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is online now   Reply With Quote