Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-21-2022, 04:34 PM   #1
Tim ford

Default Transmission problem into neutral

Have a Ford Model T with a planetary transmission and cannot get it into neutral. Have set the 3 clutch adjustments with the proper tool. The large spring and yoke in the transmission does operate. I’m hoping it’s something very simple that I’m doing wrong. Would appreciate any help.
Tim ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 01:14 AM   #2
redmodelt

Default Re: Transmission problem into neutral

With the cover off, what happens when you pull the parking brake handle back? Are the fingers loose, can you see the ends of the pins sticking out? Have you adjusted for free neutral? If not, do a search of "mtfca free neutral".
Don't know how much experience you have had with the T, so, you do understand that to be in neutral the low pedal is held about 1/2 down or parking brake handle pull to straight up or all the way back. If you don't have neutral, you will not have low or reverse and problems using the brake. The clutch is in neutral for all 3 plus while is sitting running.
Is this a new problem? The tabs in the clutch drum could be badly worn and the disk are not releasing.
It is hard to say what is going on, we don't have eyes on it.
Old 06-23-2022, 05:28 AM   #3
A bones

I adjusted mine a few decades ago. Had to check the manuals to remember what it takes.

So my question now is what three adjustments did you make?
You sound like you know what you got.
Further discussion would help us answer.
Old 06-23-2022, 07:37 PM   #4
39portlander

Hey John, as the other fellas have stated it is really tough to troubleshoot your particular with out seeing things.

The MTFCA of Long Island in Valley Stream is probably your best start, John Cunnano is the contact for the chapter.

Good luck and let us know how you make out with neutral, hopefully it is an easy fix.
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 08:29 AM   #5
A bones

One thing worth mentioning is that the T trans does not disengage. A 'sliding gear' trans separates the gears for neutral. The T model trans releases the pressure on the multi disc clutch pack. This allows for slippage when coming to rest. However there will always be some creep, or drag.
The adjustments to the park brake handle are this. Disconnect the clevis, adjust the rod to be a sixteenth of an inch short. Tighten lock nut and replace the clevis pin, secured with cotter pin.
Then, setting the handle to vertical, tighten the lever screw down 'til the clutch is disengaged.

Another thing to consider is the oil being used, If the oil being used is thick it may increase the stickiness of the discs. There are three finger adjustments if lighter oil does not improve free neutral.

Should they have loaded it with thicker oil to mask loose babbit that is another chapter.
When I got my sedan it had a slight knock at speed. Equipped with an outside oiler line I thought to check the inside oil passage. It was clogged with band material. My solution was to buy a long enough thin enough thread stock. Cut it with a bolt cutter to give a sharp end to it. Then with the front cam gear cover off, ( and radiator ) and the thread stock mounted in my drill motor I spun it into the oil passage, pushing and pushing and pushing, until it broke through the crud and reached the mag housing. After all that I had good oil flow to the front. Nice 30 wt. oil. AND, and an easy cranking minimal drag creep.

Last edited by A bones; 06-24-2022 at 08:44 AM.
A bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 08:40 AM   #6
A bones

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I know you would enjoy reading and referencing these two books.

"MODEL T Ford SERVICE" A Ford publication. Available in reprint new, and used on ebay.

"The Model T Ford0wner", The best of Murray Fahnestock

Last edited by A bones; 06-24-2022 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-24-2022, 01:23 PM   #7
Tim ford

To all who responded. Thank you so much. As mentioned by another member, I believe the discs are not releasing since the transmission sat out of the car for many years. I will let you know when I solve the problem.
Tim ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 05:47 PM   #8
A bones

Memory tells me of hearing years ago that a good substitute for the steel Ford discs are the clutches for a TH 450. Cant recall how many, or the arrangement, But if you're so inclined the info is around.
Let know if you want I might dig it up. If not my wife has plenty for me to do.

Last edited by A bones; 06-25-2022 at 08:02 AM.
Old 06-24-2022, 11:18 PM   #9
1fastbyrd

1fastbyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 12:30 AM   #10
FiretrucK

Hi Tim,
Is this T new to you or have you had it a while? Was it OK and then this started this. By the three adjustments you mean the finger screws and it sounds like you are not afraid to tear into things. RedModelT is correct check to make sure the release collar is moving and the link is correct. In the US & this time of year I don't think its the dreaded too thick of oil problem. Could be the brake hub is badly worn & the plates are hanging up. Or one or more discs have warped or cracked. I would exhaust all other options before
resorting to the last two. Hope you find a simple & inexpensive solution.
Craig.
FiretrucK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 08:03 AM   #11
A bones

Hiya Firetruck, it looks like Tim been busy. No word for 2 months.
Old 09-04-2022, 09:10 AM   #12
rotorwrench

There is a kit for the installation of the TH400 frictions for the model T. It replaces roughly half of the OEM steels (small disks) with part steels and part TH400 frictions. I haven't tried it but it's supposed to give a very good neutral with less tendency to creep like the old OEM clutch. Lang's has the kit and others likely do as well. They also sell the "Jack Rabbit" clutch which uses a different type of frictions than the TH400 but can use the stock hub. Both give a more positive neutral but I don't know if one is any better than the other.

I'd try the clutch adjustment to see if that will get things working well again. Clutches take a beating and can wear out eventually. Once the plates are damaged, they will have to be replaced. They can also hang up on the drum and the hub spines due to crud and/or a worn clutch spring.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 09-04-2022 at 10:10 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 04:23 PM   #13
redmodelt

Tim ford's last post was 6-30, ghosted.