Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-03-2022, 03:01 PM   #1
GB SISSON

Default Fuel pump options for my H six

I am addressing some issues on my latest jailbar tonner project before I re-install the front clip. It started idling poorly about two weeks ago. Compression is from 118-123 on all. I did an old fashioned tune-up with echlin parts from napa last weekend. Rotor, cap, points and condensor. The parts were all in stock here on the island. The parts looked to be of extremely good quality. Cap made in USA, brass contacts etc. But the tuneup helped only a little. I then put a complete Daytona Parts kit in the carb and dialed it in. Still rough idle. Then I noticed there was fuel dripping from the fuel pump. I did some research on 'search' here and found that if pump is going bad and sucking some air it is felt most at idle speeds. I had already checked for intake leaks with either and also propane. None. Glass bowl has new corprene gasket. Ok, just so happens I'm still running off a polyethelyne 12 gal boat tank in the truck bed. It has a squeeze ball. I adjusted the carb to where it had previously idled well and before it sputtered out and died I ran for the the primer bulb in the bed. A steady, firm pressure resulted in my old six running like a watch. I called napa about a fuel pump but they don't list one for the six. They suggested they have 2 mechanical pumps in stock, 1-3.5 lbs and 3-6 lbs. These are 70 bucks each. Not wanting NOS due to age and ethanol gas issues. Does any US company make a new fuel pump for the H six? Should I go electric and would I need to make a block off plate? Long post and a lot of questions. Thanks in advance, Gary
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 05-03-2022 at 03:07 PM.
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 03:44 PM   #2
Kube

Default Re: Fuel pump options for my H six

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
I am addressing some issues on my latest jailbar tonner project before I re-install the front clip. It started idling poorly about two weeks ago. Compression is from 118-123 on all. I did an old fashioned tune-up with echlin parts from napa last weekend. Rotor, cap, points and condensor. The parts were all in stock here on the island. The parts looked to be of extremely good quality. Cap made in USA, brass contacts etc. But the tuneup helped only a little. I then put a complete Daytona Parts kit in the carb and dialed it in. Still rough idle. Then I noticed there was fuel dripping from the fuel pump. I did some research on 'search' here and found that if pump is going bad and sucking some air it is felt most at idle speeds. I had already checked for intake leaks with either and also propane. None. Glass bowl has new corprene gasket. Ok, just so happens I'm still running off a polyethelyne 12 gal boat tank in the truck bed. It has a squeeze ball. I adjusted the carb to where it had previously idled well and before it sputtered out and died I ran for the the primer bulb in the bed. A steady, firm pressure resulted in my old six running like a watch. I called napa about a fuel pump but they don't list one for the six. They suggested they have 2 mechanical pumps in stock, 1-3.5 lbs and 3-6 lbs. These are 70 bucks each. Not wanting NOS due to age and ethanol gas issues. Does any US company make a new fuel pump for the H six? Should I go electric and would I need to make a block off plate? Long post and a lot of questions. Thanks in advance, Gary
How about having Charlie rebuild yours? He does test them for pressure and uses diaphragms that are ethanol resistant.
Old 05-03-2022, 03:47 PM   #3
cmbrucew

Gary
Charlie NY has ethanol proof diaphragms for the H6.

Charles Schwendler
5845 Cole road
Orchard Park, NY. 14127

Bruce Sorry I type slow
Old 05-03-2022, 04:19 PM   #4
GB SISSON

Well that sounds just right. Thanks, I will contact him. I can recall an 18.00 chinese pump that I used on an old test stand. That could be pressed into service while the real one is out for repairs. I have to be able to move the truck it in and out of it's bay. Guess I'll need a quick cover plate.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 05-03-2022, 04:46 PM   #5
TJ

Quote:
Well that sounds just right. Thanks, I will contact him. I can recall an 18.00 chinese pump that I used on an old test stand. That could be pressed into service while the real one is out for repairs. I have to be able to move the truck it in and out of it's bay. Guess I'll need a quick cover plate.
I think the cover plate for the small block Chevrolet fuel pump may work.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 05:12 PM   #6
Kube

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Charlie is pretty darn quick.
Old 05-03-2022, 06:48 PM   #7
slowforty

Rock Auto has the cheapest electric fuel pumps both 6 and 12 volts. Mostly Airtex Brand
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 07:00 PM   #8
flatford8

Charley is absolutely first rate !!...but I know you like to do things yourself so,....does Daytona Parts have a rebuild kit for yours?........Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 07:51 PM   #9
1952henry

Cowboy John and Then and Now automotive sell kits for diyers
1952henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 08:25 PM   #10
GB SISSON

Never looked inside a fuel pump. Can't be more complicated than a carb. I spose I could give it a try. But if I get it done by CNY it will work correctly. Mine? Also I saw no new pumps on ebay, but a later search shows them at shoebox central for 65 bucks. ????
Old 05-03-2022, 08:47 PM   #11
PeteVS

I ordered parts to rebuild a fuel pump for my C---y several years ago and when they came, the hole in the stem was not correctly clocked to the screw holes around the edge of the diaphragm. If you get parts, that's something to look for. I don't remember what I did about it but those pumps are fairly simple- a diaphragm assembly, two fiber discs for the check valves and springs for the checks.

Last edited by PeteVS; 05-06-2022 at 06:15 AM.
PeteVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 09:41 PM   #12
40cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
Charley is absolutely first rate !!...but I know you like to do things yourself so,....does Daytona Parts have a rebuild kit for yours?........Mark
I called Daytona Parts a few years ago, they didn't sell fuel pump kits.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 12:48 AM   #13
GB SISSON

I talked to Tim at Daytona this afternoon about his kits and parts and float levels and fuel pumps and everything in between. Afterwards I said I now know everything there is to know about float levels etc and he said call him anytime I have any questioin about his kits and any other carb questions. Heck, all I did was buy a 30 ish dollar carb kit from him.