Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-03-2020, 08:40 AM   #1
dlfrisch

Default Grease Fittings

I have a mixture of grease fittings. I have trouble using the standard Model A fittings even with the proper grease fitting end. I would like to remove the existing factory fittings and install new Zerk type fittings. How do I do it. The factory fittings are not wrenchable and I can’t seem to get snap-on wrench on them.
dlfrisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 08:47 AM   #2
shew01

Default Re: Grease Fittings

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrisch View Post
I have a mixture of grease fittings. I have trouble using the standard Model A fittings even with the proper grease fitting end. I would like to remove the existing factory fittings and install new Zerk type fittings. How do I do it. The factory fittings are not wrenchable and I can’t seem to get snap-on wrench on them.

I bought a replacement zerk kit from one of the vendors, but many of the “hammer in” replacement zerks are too large for the car. The threaded zerks worked fine for the holes that are threaded.

I still have this issue too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 09:01 AM   #3
KGBnut

Just out of curiosity, does your grease gun have a flexible hose. They are just about useless on the original fittings. I put my Model A end on a gun with a short metal shaft so I can push it firmly onto the fitting.

Also, don't be surprise if you have to 'work' components to get grease into them...jiggle the suspension; tie rods with a big screwdriver or a pry bar. Pop has a purpose-built Grease Monkey Bar that works great. It solves the problem of the parts settling into a position that blocks the grease passages. Getting the weight off with a jack helps, too.

I have original fittings everywhere except a few where a flexible line makes a lot more sense... and those were threaded.

Good luck,

Ken
Old 10-03-2020, 09:09 AM   #4
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGBnut View Post
Just out of curiosity, does your grease gun have a flexible hose. They are just about useless on the original fittings. I put my Model A end on a gun with a short metal shaft so I can push it firmly onto the fitting.
That’s a good point. I’m using a flexible hose. A solid “hose” would allow me to put more pressure on a stubborn fitting.

Also, I hadn’t thought about the weight of the car on the suspension contributing to making a fitting hard to grease.

Thanks for posting. Those are good ideas.

shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 09:53 AM   #5
fundytides

Quote:
Originally Posted by shew01 View Post
I bought a replacement zerk kit from one of the vendors, but many of the “hammer in” replacement zerks are too large for the car. The threaded zerks worked fine for the holes that are threaded.

I still have this issue too.

I have this problem as well with the modern drive-in fittings. They just won't drive in to the original holes. Anybody found a solution to this? I have a mix of original and modern fittings and want to go all modern.
fundytides is offline   Reply With Quote