Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-07-2020, 03:18 PM   #1
Ed in Maine

Default Model A Ford Trunk for my Victoria

Ford Barn has asked for pictures of the trunk that I am building. This is first time I have loaded pictures so I hope they get to you. This project is taken from an article entitled "Build Your Own Custom Luggage Trunk" by Marshall Lewis and Lorin Sorenssen. The basis for the article came from the Automobile Trimmer and Painter, July 1929. I am unsure where the "Build Your Own Custom Luggage Trunk" was reprinted.

I wanted the trunk to look like it belonged on my Victoria so I shaped the back of the trunk following the contour of the body, 2 in. back from the body. I made a drawing showing the end of the trunk using my actual dimensions. It is important to be able to see the orientation of the pieces so you cut them correctly.The two end pieces must be cut very accurately to be the same. So I took two pieces of 3/4 in. plywood (nominal, nothing you buy today is exact) and screwed them together and cut them simultaneously. The bottom and front pieces are 1/2 in. The back and the top pieces are 1/4 in. The width of the trunk is 33 in. and the base of the trunk at the trunk rack is 11 1/2 in. I provided for a 1/2 in. clearance around the inside rim of the trunk rack. After thinking about it I may have reduced this to 1/4 in. to provide more room in the trunk. I am using a 3/4 in. SST piano hinge. I used oak wood at the hinge location so the screws would fasten tightly.

I wanted to minimize the use of screws to hold the trunk together so the bottom, ends and front pieces will be glued (Tight Bond III) together using #10 and #20 "biscuits" for a very strong joint. The back is only 1/4 in. plywood, so I will be using #8 screws there. I have not picked a supplier yet for the handles, latches and edge trim.

The dimensions I have given you are not that important. Be creative and make your own design. What is important is to cut the pieces perfectly or you will never be able to put it together. I did check the alignment of my saw to be sure it was cutting accurate 90 deg. cuts. It is a great project for the winter. Good luck with it, Ed

DSC02237.jpg
DSC02236.jpg
DSC02235.jpg
DSC02234.jpg
DSC02233.jpg
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 03:34 PM   #2
wwirz

Default Re: Model A Ford Trunk for my Victoria

Excellent work Ed. You can buy the leather parts and locks from Snyders. However, do not depend on the leather straps to hold the trunk to the trunk rack...be sure to bolt it down too.
wwirz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 04:28 PM   #3
Tacoma Bob

Very nice work!
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 06:50 PM   #4
McMimmcs

It looks like the work of a true craftsman! You are to be commended. Wayne
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 11:23 PM   #5
Brentwood Bob

Looking good. What color leather?
Brentwood Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 12:02 AM   #6
mass A man

Excellent work Ed, Anxious to see further work as you go and the final work of art!
mass A man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 08:53 AM   #7
Ed in Maine

Thank you for your comments, I will have pictures in a few months after it is finished. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 08:56 AM   #8
Bruce

I wonder what happened to the Victoria that had the trunk molded into the rear panel of the car. If you opened the trunk you could access the storage space behind the rear seat. It was very neatly done and looked like Edsel or Brook Stevens might have dreamed it up. I saw it at several MARC nationals. Has anyone seen it lately or know of its whereabouts now?
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 07:02 PM   #9
ed thibodeau

Its here in Michigan where its always been. The fellow that owns and built it is not
to active now and I dont know what plans he has for it.
ed thibodeau is offline   Reply With Quote