Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-11-2021, 06:32 PM   #1
Gene F

Default B Carb Questions

I found some good B- Carb info on here, but still have some questions. The carb is soaking in Berrymen Chem Dip right now.

* if I have the float (original rectangular float) paralell with the upper section, is the float too high, too low, or just about right?

* I have a tube with the wire in it used to test the fuel level in the bowl. What is the (actual) fuel level in the bowl supposed to be from the top edge?

* That vent hole that goes to the well around the power jet tube, is there a secret to getting that crud out of there, without damaging the tube, or is it just a patience thing? The power jet tube looks perfect, so I do not want to mess with trying to pull it out, and get it back in there.

* My air fuel SCREW on my B Carb when I took it off was 3/4 open (off the full closed seat). Instructions I found on here say start at 1 and 1/2 turns off the seat. That seems like quite a difference. Anyone have any thoughts? I assume screw it back and forth till it idles the best over a period of a couple of minutes after at operating temp?

* This carb does not have a slosh baffle in it. It's never been an issue. Is that typically a big deal?

* I bought a new needle and seat. The one I had in it is the check ball style, which I have head better luck with on other carbs like Zeniths. I drive my car, so reliability is a big deal to me. I'm thinking that I want to reuse that ball style valve. Will it flow enough fuel to feed my improved engine? (H/C head, big valves, IB-330 cam, B intake)?

That kit sure costs a pretty penny. $73.

Anything else I need to know?
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote