Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-11-2017, 08:27 AM   #1
Jay in Mass

Default Question about 1935 spoke wheels

I know that this question has come up before, but I can't find it so here it is again.
When bolting 1935 spoke wheels onto early 1940- 1948 Ford hydraulic brake drums, it seems that a spacer ring has to be placed on the brake drum studs. Is that ring placed on the outer edge of the studs or the inner edge of the studs? If someone has a picture of the ring on the brake drum, it would be appreciated so I can get an idea of what to look for.
Also what is the thickness of that ring?
Thank you in advance for any and all answers.
Jay in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:00 AM   #2
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: Question about 1935 spoke wheels

There are two types that I am aware of. There are support rings and there is a plate with holes that fits over the drum studs.
I use the rings because I can easily make them from 4" ID pipe using either the galvanized or black iron versions. The dimensions are 4" ID x 4-1/2" OD x 0.185" - 0.190" thick after cutting them off using a lathe. I attach these on the inside of the wheel as shown in attached picture using RTV.
The other type, which is a stamped plate that fits on the drum studs, is not my first choice because it shortens the length of the studs when used on stock drums from '40 to '48. They do work better on repro drums that have longer studs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg wire_wheel_spacers_1_large.jpeg (33.8 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpeg wire_wheel_spacers_2_small.jpeg (6.4 KB, 308 views)
File Type: jpeg imag026.jpeg (9.0 KB, 59 views)

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:52 AM   #3
Jay in Mass

WOW!!! JM Thanks for the fast answer.

Would you please answer another question. Look at the picture that you posted where you placed the three rings on the outer edge of the 35 rim. Is that outer edge supposed touch the brake drum when it is all bolted together?

Thanks also for the dimensions . Just in case I can't make the rings with my old worn out lathe, do you know who sells them?

I honestly appreciate this help and advice. Jay
Old 04-11-2017, 01:18 PM   #4
Andy

I sell them. $45 shipped.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 01:41 PM   #5
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay in Mass View Post
WOW!!! JM Thanks for the fast answer.

Would you please answer another question. Look at the picture that you posted where you placed the three rings on the outer edge of the 35 rim. Is that outer edge supposed touch the brake drum when it is all bolted together?

Thanks also for the dimensions . Just in case I can't make the rings with my old worn out lathe, do you know who sells them?

I honestly appreciate this help and advice. Jay
Yes, if I am interpreting the rim you mean correctly, at least all of mine touch there.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
Old 04-11-2017, 01:58 PM   #6
Don

What is the purpose of the rings? I have the 39 or 40 drums on my 35 / spoke rims,,what am I missing??
Old 04-11-2017, 02:04 PM   #7
Charlie Stephens

[QUOTE=Don;1456289]What is the purpose of the rings? I have the 39 or 40 drums on my 35 / spoke rims,,what am I missing??

Without the rings you are not supporting the wheel completely, see: http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...=1#post1286293

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:17 PM   #8
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
What is the purpose of the rings? I have the 39 or 40 drums on my 35 / spoke rims,,what am I missing??
If you look carefully at stock 35 drums you will see 5 little projections or raised nubs inside the stud circle near each stud. All of the drums used during the wire wheel years from '32 to '35 (not sure about pre 32) had those same projections to support the center of the wire wheels when lug nuts were tightened. The later drums from '40 to '48 pass cars did not have those projections, so something has to be added to prevent the wire wheel centers from distorting when lug nuts are tightened. I have plenty of '35 wire wheels that were damaged this way, and also by drum balance weights that were welded to the outer flange on the later style drums used in '46 - '48.

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 04-11-2017 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:52 PM   #9
russcc

Vern Tardel sells them. I tack welded mine on.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:57 PM   #10
CSArno

What John says all the way!!
CSArno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:58 PM   #11
Jay in Mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Yes, if I am interpreting the rim you mean correctly, at least all of mine touch there.
JM Thank you . I had a feeling that the outer edge of the rim does touch the brake drum. That's something I have to make sure of when putting everything together.. Jay
Old 04-11-2017, 09:25 PM   #12
John R

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
There are two types that I am aware of. There are support rings and there is a plate with holes that fits over the drum studs.
I use the rings because I can easily make them from 4" ID pipe using either the galvanized or black iron versions. The dimensions are 4" ID x 4-1/2" OD x 0.185" - 0.190" thick after cutting them off using a lathe. I attach these on the inside of the wheel as shown in attached picture using RTV.
The other type, which is a stamped plate that fits on the drum studs, is not my first choice because it shortens the length of the studs when used on stock drums from '40 to '48. They do work better on repro drums that have longer studs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay in Mass View Post
JM Thank you . I had a feeling that the outer edge of the rim does touch the brake drum. That's something I have to make sure of when putting everything together.. Jay
The large spacer that fits over the studs (see photo in John's post #2) will raise the wheel so it will not touch the brake drum. Better to use the small ring spacers if you want to have them touch, as original.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:34 PM   #13
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by John R View Post
The large spacer that fits over the studs (see photo in John's post #2) will raise the wheel so it will not touch the brake drum. Better to use the small ring spacers if you want to have them touch, as original.
Good point John, and another reason to use the rings rather than the spacer that fits over the studs.

Old 04-12-2017, 05:24 AM   #14
Jay in Mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I sell them. $45 shipped.
Andy
PM has been sent to you.
Jay