Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-10-2023, 12:08 AM   #1
Old Henry

Default Can I salvage these axle threads on 47 sedan

Yesterday, for some unknown reason, my right rear wheel decided to go a different direction than the rest of the car and took its own coarse off the car, off the road, across the weeds, and into the fence. It looks like the threads on the axle just stripped and let loose of the nut. (See picture of threads) The threads on the nut are fine. I really REALLY don't want to replace that axle and wonder if there is any way to salvage those axle threads without removing the axle from the car. For instance, can I use a die to recut the threads a little bit deeper, i.e. for a slightly smaller nut and then use a new slightly smaller nut on it? Any ideas to salvage the threads without removing the axle from the car?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Axle threads.jpg (47.0 KB, 480 views)
Old 11-10-2023, 12:23 AM   #2
rich b

Default Re: Can I salvage these axle threads on 47 sedan

I tore down a banjo axle that had a 9/16-18 nut on one side. How long it worked liked that is lost to history.

If you decide to try something that; I would probably lap the axle taper so it was a really good fit too.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 12:39 AM   #3
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
Yesterday, for some unknown reason, my right rear wheel decided to go a different direction than the rest of the car and took its own coarse off the car, off the road, across the weeds, and into the fence. It looks like the threads on the axle just stripped and let loose of the nut. (See picture of threads) The threads on the nut are fine. I really REALLY don't want to replace that axle and wonder if there is any way to salvage those axle threads without removing the axle from the car. For instance, can I use a die to recut the threads a little bit deeper, i.e. for a slightly smaller nut and then use a new slightly smaller nut on it? Any ideas to salvage the threads without removing the axle from the car?

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 12:53 AM   #4
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich b View Post
If you decide to try something that; I would probably lap the axle taper so it was a really good fit too.
Is lapping the axle taper something I could do without removing it? How is that done?
Old 11-10-2023, 01:14 AM   #5
ford38v8

The drum comes off, the key comes out, both are cleaned and deburred, then reassembled with lapping compound, no key, and the nut just barely snug to allow turning by hand to do the lapping. Remove, clean again to check progress. Importantly though, before you waste your time on a project with no future, determine the quality of the rethreading, and inspect closely for a crack at the inside end of the keyway. Find that crack and get rid of that piece of junk.
Old 11-10-2023, 08:28 AM   #6
oldbugger

For safety, with all the miles you put on that car i would replace the axle. MHO
oldbugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 10:52 AM   #7
johndee138

They make an axle thread chaser
Some on ebay
I have one that I have used in the past
johndee138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 11:03 AM   #8
kartrae7

Third Gen has a axle thread clamping nut. Not sure it is will work and have no clue how to get picture here.
kartrae7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 11:11 AM   #9
Andy

A thread chaser just removes small rough spots. Your axle is stripped. A chaser will not fix that. The axle must come out for replacement or repair. I strongly suggest replacement. There is high stress on those threads.
I was doing a lot of perch repairs at one time. I had fixtures and would weld up the threads, machine to diameter, and rethread. They are much more lightly loaded.
Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 11:12 AM   #10
mhsprecher

https://thirdgenauto.com/product/192...-worn-threads/

Note that it says not to use it on stripped threads.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible

Last edited by mhsprecher; 11-10-2023 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Add sentence.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 11:58 AM   #11
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
Henry, Just so I am clear...
*The wheel went "south" but the drum stayed in place. Correct?
*Was the nut held from spinning with a cotter pin?
*You'd had one axle replaced a while back. Was this the side? Did you do the replacement?
*That axle is JUNK.
Old 11-10-2023, 12:00 PM   #12
Bored&Stroked

Those axle nuts are torqued to over 200 ft/lbs . . . I can see no viable way to repair the threads. I pondered welding up the axle threads on one of mine and decided against it (due to the fact that that level of torque is needed to create that tight taper fit).

Also, any welding procedure will influence whatever level of heat treating was done to the axle - so again, I would not risk it.

I'd be looking for a new axle if it were mine.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 12:01 PM   #13
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsprecher View Post
https://thirdgenauto.com/product/192...-worn-threads/

Note that it says not to use it on stripped threads.

Description

This is a NEW special nut designed for 1928-48 Fords with worn rear axle threads. Replacement axles are hard to find and very expensive not to mention the extensive labor to replace one. Many times axles have to be replaced due to worn threads on the hub end. This nut is a standard 5/8-18 internal threads but has special tapered outer thread. when the clamping nut is tightened to the main nut it closes the threads allowing it to “grab” onto your worn threads. We recomend use of Loc-Tite on the clamping outer nut. PLEASE NOTE this is not meant for stripped out threads, or threads that are completely stripped off.

"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

Old 11-10-2023, 12:01 PM   #14
Tim Ayers

I'm curious on this and what others have to say. The OE nut is some crazy type of hardened steel that is oversized so it mates with the flange of the hub.

I wonder if using even a grade 8 nut on undersized threads would be up to the task and you are inviting even more trouble down the road.

I have one of the axle thread restoration dies that are split to clamp on the old threads. You are welcome to borrow it if you'd like. Just let me know.

P.S.: I was typing while others replies were posted. I'd have to agree with Dale and Kube. Too much to risk to not do it right.
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 12:02 PM   #15
34fordy

[QUOTE=rich b;2268689]I tore down a banjo axle that had a 9/16-18 nut on one side.

IMHO there is NO way a 9/16-18 nut would withstand the torque required to fit the hub properly.
34fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 12:07 PM   #16
Mart

Hello Old Henry. Nice to see your name pop up here, wish it was in better circumstances. I have heard of threads being reduced to 9/16, which shares the same pitch at 18 tpi. But while I have no experience, I think the shaft would have to come out and be turned and at least partially threaded on a lathe, then finished with a die on or off the lathe. As the axle would need to be stripped down to remove the shaft, the better fix would be to replace it with a new or at least known good part.
The rear end does not need to be removed from the vehicle. It can be partially stripped down in situ. While apart it is a good opportunity to replace the oil seals in the axle tubes, which can only be done with the rear end stripped (or partially dismantled).
I did a similar job on my 41 pickup and made a video series, which you might find helpful if considering doing the job.

Here's a link to part 1 you should be able to find parts 2, 3 and 4 from there.

https://youtu.be/t0AfzS5OLYE

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 12:14 PM   #17
BoxCar Tom

Just curious, what year axles are interchangeable?
BoxCar Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 12:39 PM   #18
petehoovie

Just curious, how in the hell did that happen?

Old 11-10-2023, 01:10 PM   #19
rich b

[QUOTE=34fordy;2268774]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich b View Post
I tore down a banjo axle that had a 9/16-18 nut on one side.

IMHO there is NO way a 9/16-18 nut would withstand the torque required to fit the hub properly.
Well still not saying it's right; but the old '39 pick-up the banjo came from was not laid to rest on the fence row because it had a 9/16" nut on one axle.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 01:13 PM   #20
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Henry, Just so I am clear...
*The wheel went "south" but the drum stayed in place. Correct?
*Was the nut held from spinning with a cotter pin?
*You'd had one axle replaced a while back. Was this the side? Did you do the replacement?
*That axle is JUNK.
The tire, rim, and brake drum all took the hike.
The nut, washer and cotter pin were loose in the hub cap. Cotter pin was in pieces.
Fortunately, this was not the left side axle I replaced a few months ago. I did that replacement. It was a horrible task. That's why I really REALLY didn't want to do it again.