Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-10-2021, 10:36 PM   #1
Will D

Default Engine removal '38 deluxe

Found brass and silver looking metal flecks, bits and pieces in my engine oil. Cut open the oil filter and found more

Pulling it out for a good look inside but I've never pulled a flatty before; only automatic front wheel drive engines. I've done a couple searches here and ev8 website and come up with some info but still some uncertainty. I'm going to leave the trans in the car and pull just the engine. The trans is original to the car but the engine is a '45 c59a.

Couple questions:

1. Is the trans only affixed to the engine by the bolts thru the belhousing?

2. Do I need to remove the starter before pulling?

3. Is it best to remove the manifolds from the block first or leave on and just disconnect exhaust pipe?(stock exhaust) i realize this question may be a matter of opinion but all are welcome.

4. Do I need to mess with clutch linkage at all?

Remove radiator, horns, disconnect any wiring/fuel/sending units, support front end of trans, undo bellhousing bolts, loosen trans mounts, undo front engine mounts, anti chatter bars, detach exhaust.... should slip right out?

5. In theory if I pay attention to cam slot position for distributor it should slip back in onto the input shaft upon reinstalling?