Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-24-2017, 08:31 AM   #1
d_Seymour

Default 1959 Galaxie hardtop rear park lights ????

Hello had to clean up the rear tight light for better light output. found the backup lights working only in park shift position and the light switch is set to an on position.Is this correct setting for the lights to go out when backing up.
d_Seymour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:28 AM   #2
dmsfrr

Default Re: 1959 Galaxie hardtop rear park lights ????

Find the backup light switch in your car. I believe they're on the side of the transmission. (my switch is/was missing, it's not a '59 Galaxie and figuring out where it goes isn't at the top of my to-do list yet)
The switch might look like the one below for a Fordomatic, that has 4 wires coming out of it.
It could be out of adjustment or the wires to it may be connected incorrectly.

There are effectively two internal parts of the switch if the car is an automatic. The neutral safety half of the switch allows the starter to be energized only if the transmission is in neutral and/or park, depending on what year switch it is.
The other half of the switch sends power to the backup lights.
IIRC, the power to the backup light switch should come from a terminal under the dash that is 'on' with the ignition. I'd be more specific but I'm not looking at a wiring diagram.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg neutral & backup light switch.jpg (57.8 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 04-26-2017 at 10:19 AM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:04 AM   #3
Daves55Sedan

Sounds like several things need to be looked at. First; if light output isn't as bright as it should be, could be dirt all over the bulb itself blocking the light output, but could also be that there is insufficient ground connection usually due to corrosion. I ran a single # 12 gage ground wire from the firewall ground terminal to the back of the car and connected it to the tail and parklight housings as well as the license plate light. I connected a ground jumper from a splice off that wire in the trunk to the fuel sending unit housing. Connections need to be clean and rust free.
Second; The wire that supplies power to the backup lights needs to be moved from the headlight terminal of the light switch to the accessory terminal of the ignition switch.
Third; If the backup lights only activate in the park position, the backup light switch needs to be adjusted.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:15 AM   #4
Daves55Sedan

BTW, if the car has Ford-O-Matic, the backup light switch is integral within the starter-neutral switch. I'm not sure if a car as new as 1959 has the switch that will allow starting in the park position, but the older switches only allow starting in neutral. It is very important to adjust the switch so that it will allow the car to start (in whatever position that switch was designed for). If you have a modern replacement switch, I would actually get an ohmmeter and adjust the mounting until you get the absolute lowest resistance between the input and start terminals at the switch when the gear select lever is in the proper position. Why, you ask? because the repo replacement switches are junk. The contacts are very low grade and they will burn out prematurely if the switch adjustment is the slightest bit off. They want like $45.00 for those poorly made switches.
When the switch is properly adjusted to start, the backup light contacts should work also.
If you can't get the backup lights to work when the switch was adjusted to start in "park", try changing the adjustment so it starts in "neutral" and then see if the backup lights will work when you shift into reverse.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote