Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Model-T

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default 1914 touring back from the grave

I have an original 1914 touring that hasn't been on the road for 20+ years, I changed all the fluids, fired it up, it runs really well,very smooth, I took it for a ride, seems ok, but it chatters when letting off the low into high, and reverse really growls...the bands looked ok when i looked, they are cotton, original too, anyway any thoughts on the chattering or reverse growl?

<table><tr><td><font face="arial">

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #2

Default Re: 1914 touring back from the grave

I think all T's tend to growl in reverse. The chatter may be a band tightening issue. Might want to make sure you are getting solid contact with low speed drum.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #3

Default Re: 1914 touring back from the grave

Congrats!

The chattering could be a number of things. It could be the oil between the clutch disc has become 'gummy' from sitting all those years. The cure for that is to keep driving it.

Also, are you letting off the gas when shifting from low to high? Mine is as smooth as glass if I back off the throttle.

Lastly, the clutch spring could be weak (especially if it was parked 20 years with the lever pulled back). That is an easy adjustment by giving the three screws on the drive plate each a half a turn.

I would drive it a bit and see if it didn't get better, if not and if backing off the throttle didn't help then I would try a clutch adjustment. Hope this helps.