Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #1
Ken/SC

Default 30-31 Cowl Light Location

I have a friend with at 30 Tudor sedan and we are going to add cowl lights to it. Does anyone out there have a diagram or drawing for the location? Seems like I remember seeing one on the barn in the past. Thanks in advance for the help.
Ken/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:00 PM   #2
Jazzjr

Default Re: 30-31 Cowl Light Location

Look inside at the Brace that runs Horizontal at the top part of the cowl. Even though the exterior is not punched out for cowl lights, the brace has a hole for mounting the cowl lights. I would find 30-31 cowl with the hole in it, and no light, and make a your own template. Tracing the upper outside corner, on paper, cutting it out with a pair of scissors, until it fit the corner, then trace the Hole and don't cut it out, to find center, to drill out your cowl. Measure the hole for correct size to finish drilling. I would use a Hole saw.
Jazzjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:09 PM   #3
ford3

jazzjr is right, inside the car under the fuel tank is a brace with a hole cut in it, thats where the cowl light arm goes thru, get a centering punch, put in the hole in the brace and it will hit the outer panel, tap it with a hammer and it will transfer a dimple to the panel, thats where you drill the hole for cowl lights
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:28 PM   #4
Roadster62

30 years ago or better I cut the corners out of a 30-31 cowl just for that reason. I think I can find them and make a paper copy. Pm me your address. Bob
Old 09-04-2013, 10:20 PM   #5
qtcoupe

Did this on my 31. Bought a tool made just for this from the local model A vendor that goes thru the hole in the inside brace and has a nail in the center to make a dimple on the outside, Had to cut off the head end some because the tank is in the way. I then held a wide blade screw drivers flat against the remaining part of the nail and hit the driver with the hammer. Don't forget to put the wood wedges made for your model A between the cowl panel and the inner brace to keep from collapsing the cowl panel when you tighten the bolt. the 30/31 light has to fit over the chrome cowl band so the hole position is very critical. I drilled mine smaller than needed and used a dremell tool to get a good fit.
qtcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:34 AM   #6
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Turley View Post
Cowl lamp arm hole cutter tool, part #A13300X in MAC's catalog, $4.95" Takes the guess work out of new hole placement when installing new cowl lamps."

I'm sure that the same tool must be available from other vendors also.
This is the BEST way to go!