Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-21-2022, 03:54 PM   #1
jdjj

Default clutch wont disengage

have t-5 conversion behind 1953 flathead pickup engine putting in 1935 pickup. Using chassis engineering pedals. Speedway kit using original fork and shaft. Setting up clutch cable. Put arm on end of fork shaft to operate by cable. Can not get clutch to disengage. Throw out bearing travels almost a inch before contact to pressure plate fingers. A m using 3 finger pressure plate. Is that a normal amount of travel before contact with pressure plate. Looks to put fork at forward angle before any attempt to disengage. Seems like i would be losing leverage. When i torque pressure plate fingers are drawn in which i assume is correct but could they be to much? Parts are all and new using 10.5 pressure plate and clutch disk.
jdjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 04:50 PM   #2
Ronnieroadster

Default Re: clutch wont disengage

To get the clutch to release you need to reduce the 1 inch free play you have. The throw out bearing needs to be as close as possible to the fingers on the pressure plate but not touching. Once you reduce the amount of free play you now have the clutch will release.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 07:00 PM   #3
V8COOPMAN

You may have the wrong throw-out bearing. They come in "short" and "long" configurations. You may need a LONG T/O bearing. Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 07:09 PM   #4
bbrocksr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjj View Post
have t-5 conversion behind 1953 flathead pickup engine putting in 1935 pickup. Using chassis engineering pedals. Speedway kit using original fork and shaft. Setting up clutch cable. Put arm on end of fork shaft to operate by cable. Can not get clutch to disengage. Throw out bearing travels almost a inch before contact to pressure plate fingers. A m using 3 finger pressure plate. Is that a normal amount of travel before contact with pressure plate. Looks to put fork at forward angle before any attempt to disengage. Seems like i would be losing leverage. When i torque pressure plate fingers are drawn in which i assume is correct but could they be to much? Parts are all and new using 10.5 pressure plate and clutch disk.
The fork should not be at a forward angle when contacting the throw out bearing. Is the fork installed on the shaft correctly, correct bearing and hub?
The fork should contact the bearing just a few degrees before the center of its arc.
Bill
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 10:46 AM   #5
rotorwrench

The type of clutch and throw out set up for flatheads is important. Adjustable fingers help but many replacements aren't adjustable. The Centerforce diaphragms clutches have bent fingers and add on spacers.

I stick with conventional type mechanical linkages on the old Fords. Cables and hydraulics go too far for me.

The fingers have to clear the input shaft and make good contact with the throw out bearing.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 05-22-2022 at 11:05 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 10:56 AM   #6
jdjj

Thanks for reply. As far as the fork being installed correctly. Isnt the hole in shaft centered or is it off set? Would it make a difference to mount on other side of shaft?
Old 05-23-2022, 12:14 PM   #7
jdjj

Is it possible to incorrectly install throw out bearing fork on shaft? Hole looks centered but is it off set? I know curved side goes against bearing. Will flipping shaft make a difference? Will it put bearing closer to pressure plate fingers?Throw out bearing travels almost a inch before making contact with pp fingers.
Old 05-23-2022, 12:33 PM   #8
alanwoodieman

hold the clutch arm with a pair of plyers, using the plyers to move the release arm against the fingers on the clutch and adjust the pedal arm linkage to fit this--in other words remove all of the free play that is causing the long pedal movement, then let the arm come back to let it move just off fingers
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote