Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-24-2022, 09:15 AM   #1
Ford_A_Austria

Default Oil Pan type

Hi Guys,

I am Mickey from Austria, proud owner of a Ford Model A Fordor. My dream car since I was a child. Got it a couple of years ago, the car was running as a taxi till the mid 70ies. The condition of the car is fairly good, it is my first renovation.

But the car is a "wild" mixture from original parts, older (homemade) replacements from the 50ies to the 70ies and some newer parts, installed by the guy who tried to restore the car around 2010 - 2015.

And there my problems starts. Sometime it is hard to figure out which part is original Model A, which is B and which is a G28T - part. I did Google - research and use the books from Les Andrews, but I am still not sure at some parts.

So I tought it is better to ask the experts. Would be great if you can give me one or two hints.

Photo with Oil Pan: Is this an original G28T oil pan? I am not sure, found other types in old catalogues. Can I replace this with any other type of oil pan? Maybe one where I can remove the pan without dismantling the engine?

Photo with bell housing: Is this in the bell housing all original Model A? It seems so, but I am not sure.

I attached also a photo from the engine so that you know what I am talking about.

Sorry for the stupid question, but I am a beginner. Thanks a lot for help.

Best, Mickey
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20211122_154929.jpg (57.0 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg 20211122_154935.jpg (50.7 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg 20211122_154859.jpg (75.5 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200626_175642.jpg (66.8 KB, 96 views)
Ford_A_Austria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 09:32 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Oil Pan type

Hi Mickey, welcome to Fordbarn.

Yes, the oil pan is a G28T pan. That oil pan is proprietary to that engine block due to the rear main cap design, and you cannot substitute a regular Model-B oil pan.

I have a G28T engine in one of my race cars (-pictured below). As I recall, I had to do minor 'surgery' around the inspection cover on the Model-A flywheel housing to clear the rear of the G28T pan, ...but a stock Model-A flywheel housing can be used mated to a Model-A transmission.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00630.jpg (136.1 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00628.jpg (140.0 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg RedCrown2.jpg (101.7 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg RedCrown1.jpg (49.8 KB, 38 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 09:38 AM   #3
Badpuppy

Welcome to the Barn, Mickey!

Your car is 1928 - early '29, from the metal wiring tube on the engine. It would be helpful if you could be a little more specific. The engine serial number would give its manufacture date, probably not original engine. The generator has also been replaced with an alternator. Starter has been replaced as well, with a solenoid attached. I'm guessing they're both 12V. That's all I can tell you; I know nothing about engine internals. Good luck with your project.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 10:17 AM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badpuppy View Post
Welcome to the Barn, Mickey!

Your car is 1928 - early '29, from the metal wiring tube on the engine. It would be helpful if you could be a little more specific.

The engine serial number would give its manufacture date, probably not original engine.
The generator has also been replaced with an alternator. Starter has been replaced as well, with a solenoid attached. I'm guessing they're both 12V. That's all I can tell you; I know nothing about engine internals. Good luck with your project.
These G28T engines were manufactured in Cologne, Germany (-pretty sure on casting location) to be used in the aftermarket. As such, they were never serialized to Model-A era vehicles, ..and as such would not give manufacture dates. On some, there are marks that give indicators as to when they were cast.

The front fenders look more like 1930/31 style sans hood shelves.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Last edited by BRENT in 10-uh-C; 05-24-2022 at 10:39 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-24-2022, 10:47 AM   #5
john charlton

As Brent says it is a G28T engine . They were an industrial engine the ones that came into UK were fitted to Claas combine harvesters . A farmer friend had one in an old combine I went to look at it and noted it had an aluminum oil pan . It was mine for free but I was too slow off the mark and it went for scrap (sob) . Very valuable today many folk will try to buy it off you .

John in Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 11:30 AM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by john charlton View Post
As Brent says it is a G28T engine . They were an industrial engine the ones that came into UK were fitted to Claas combine harvesters . A farmer friend had one in an old combine I went to look at it and noted it had an aluminum oil pan . It was mine for free but I was too slow off the mark and it went for scrap (sob) . Very valuable today many folk will try to buy it off you .

John in Suffolk County England .
John, good to see your posts again.

Is anyone on your side of the pond doing anything regarding worn insert bearings on these? I know that several years ago, the main & rod bearings were obsolete rendering many used engines useless. I actually have the equipment to recast bearing material onto existing G28 bearing shells so the engine can be put back into service.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 05-24-2022, 11:57 AM   #7
Ford_A_Austria

Hi Guys,

thanks a lot for the warm welcome and the quick and detailed response. Sorry about the lack of information about the car, here they are - including some photos.

I know a little bit about his history, the seller showed me some (unluckily very bad) photos from historical documents about this car. First owner was the Chicago Police Department, then the car was sold to a press agency. The brought the car to France somewhere around 1937 - 41. After the war it was sold by a dutch car trader to a dutch taxi company, the used the car till 1973. Then it was stored till 2010 in a garage.

From the taxi company I have the title, the rest of the documents I try to get, the are stored by the grandma of the last owner. The black plate is a dutch taxi plate, not one from U.K. This is the history as I know, not 100 % sure everything is correct. But the price was very good, so the history would be only a "bonus".

Found some aftermarket parts like iron cast drums, Float-a-Motor front and rear, FS Ignitions, 12V Conversion with a new starter, Flat Head Ted Brake Floaters, tubular gas shock absorber and so some more on the car.

I got the car with the G28T engine. Attached photos from the engine, but I found nothing about the history of the engine.

I will try to build it as a daily driver, so I will keep some of the aftermarket parts to make the car safer and easier to handle. I also will add some extra power, we have a lot of moutains here - so you need power and very good brakes.

Here are some photos from the car and the engine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161007_173634.jpg (58.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 20161007_173609.jpg (56.5 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 20161007_173624.jpg (56.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200125_151356.jpg (83.1 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200125_151406.jpg (74.4 KB, 45 views)
Ford_A_Austria is offline   Reply With Quote