Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-02-2016, 10:47 PM   #1
southfork

Default Any Phaeton Top Irons Interchange 28-31?

The threads on 28/29 phaeton top irons over the last couple of days have me wondering about how easy/hard it might be to find used irons or portions of irons for a phaeton. If I am going to have the option of ever running a top on my 1928 phaeton (like Artiki apparently does), I'll first have to find out what portions of my top irons are missing. Tom's thread should enable me to do that (Thanks, Tom), but then I'll have to hunt down what I'm missing.

The irons/bows that I have are ones I found hanging from the rafters of an old barn about 25 years ago. I Think that I paid the farmer $20 for them (I am pretty sure that they are an incomplete set of 4-door Model A phaeton irons/bows, but I have never been sure if they are for 28/29, or if they are 30/31. Are the irons interchangeable at all between early and late? If not, how can someone know what irons he has? Is there a Key dimension difference somewhere?
southfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:56 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Any Phaeton Top Irons Interchange 28-31?

Marco posted some good pictures of the top framework for Dave Lopes' 1928 Phaeton. I'm sure they can be found on Marco's website.

The 30-1 is different, but I'm not sure what all is different.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:33 PM   #3
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by southfork View Post
The threads on 28/29 phaeton top irons over the last couple of days have me wondering about how easy/hard it might be to find used irons or portions of irons for a phaeton. If I am going to have the option of ever running a top on my 1928 phaeton (like Artiki apparently does), I'll first have to find out what portions of my top irons are missing. Tom's thread should enable me to do that (Thanks, Tom), but then I'll have to hunt down what I'm missing.

The irons/bows that I have are ones I found hanging from the rafters of an old barn about 25 years ago. I Think that I paid the farmer $20 for them (I am pretty sure that they are an incomplete set of 4-door Model A phaeton irons/bows, but I have never been sure if they are for 28/29, or if they are 30/31. Are the irons interchangeable at all between early and late? If not, how can someone know what irons he has? Is there a Key dimension difference somewhere?
Yes, you have to stay with 1928/29 irons. I collected several partial sets in order to end up with one complete good set of the metal pieces. As a result, I have some remaining pieces from the various sets that are quite usable. Contact me with a Private Message if you want any of them.

Last edited by Jim/TX/GA; 02-03-2016 at 08:30 PM.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:34 PM   #4
darrylkmc

Here is a link to a thread where Marco explains some differences:

https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51230

Darryl In Fairbanks
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:48 PM   #5
ronn

so one more question on this topic............

differences in the top of the 180 deluxe vs the 4 dr??????????

anyone?
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 03:17 PM   #6
southfork

I appreciate input received thus far. The linked picture of the complete set of installed 28/29 Phaeton top irons was especially helpful. I know of a local guy who says he has a complete set of 30/31 top irons, but neither he nor I know if any of the later bows etc will interchange with the earlier 28/29 set. Besides, breaking up a complete set of later irons may not be the best way to go.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:28 PM   #7
Artiki

I'm hoping to get some work done on mine this weekend, so I'll try to get some pics, if you like. I could also get some measurements if needed.
Artiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:03 PM   #8
southfork

Any pics or measurements would be appreciated, Artiki. The length of the front bows is one area where a measurement of length might be really telling on whether early or late. I have it in my mind that on the early irons (28/29), the flat iron connecting the 2nd and 4th bows has a "bird's beak" shape right where it connects to the 2nd iron, and that no such beak shape exists on the later (30/31) irons. Can anyone confirm that?

Artiki, didn't I see pics your phaeton running in a stripped-down mode at a recent event???
Old 02-04-2016, 05:05 PM   #9
Artiki

Not sure, possibly on the HAMB?

Artiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:34 AM   #10
southfork

Yeas, that's it. I had saved that picture and a couple others. Nice Phaeton! It has almost the exact same blue color that was on my phaeton body when I got it in 1983 or so.