Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-23-2014, 08:58 AM   #21
barkleydave

Default Re: car hauler trailer

Thanks for input. I have pulled many trailers over the years. Large small open and enclosed.

I currently have a 2005 Explorer with V8, electric brake unit, and proper hitch.

Closed are not good for me here in KY. Too much humidity in summer and heat build up to store a vehicle in.

Is an 18ft trailer long enough for our A's

Looking for Aluminum (saves over 1000# weight) tandem with brakes on both axles.

Anyone have any recommendations based on personal experience?

Thanks
barkleydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:07 AM   #22
Mitch//pa
BANNED

an 18 is plenty long
i would not store a car in an enclosed either just other misc stuff, its like a storage shed when not in use
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:15 AM   #23
ronn

I use a 16' and A's fit fine on it-18' is the way to go if you are going to occasionally tow another vehicle. The aluminum is a good choice and will be the next one I purchase. I also would buy a beavertail or a tilt trailer, for ease of loading. Have seen some very nice ones under 5k on the bay.
good luck with whatever you choose. Single axle braking should be sufficient, but of course double axle braking is better.....
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:01 AM   #24
Roger V

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkleydave View Post
Thanks for input. I have pulled many trailers over the years. Large small open and enclosed.

I currently have a 2005 Explorer with V8, electric brake unit, and proper hitch.

Closed are not good for me here in KY. Too much humidity in summer and heat build up to store a vehicle in.

Is an 18ft trailer long enough for our A's

Looking for Aluminum (saves over 1000# weight) tandem with brakes on both axles.

Anyone have any recommendations based on personal experience?

Thanks
Can't speak to your tow vehicle but I have all aluminum (obviously not coupler and axles/springs) 18 foot open as well as 22 foot enclosed with electric brakes on both axles. Since my trailers have to live outside I got tired of rust on the steel versions. When I bought the open one I had a 2009 F150 with the 5.4 V8. That combination did everything I needed it to do for instance hauling a '57 T-Bird that is heavier than most A's in the Pennsylvania mountains. Since then I'm towing with an Ecoboost F150 that has 410 lbs. of torque which more than handles the enclosed trailer with later heavier cars. I don't tow frequently but this combination serves my purpose.
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:04 AM   #25
denis4x4

Here's the specs on an H&H aluminum tilt bed. Mine is 20' and I pull it it with either a M-B sprinter based MH or a Grand Cherokee with the hemi/tow package

http://www.hhtrailer.com/products/al...ctric-tiltbed/
Old 11-23-2014, 11:47 AM   #26
hotrodalley

The Trailer Dilemma.

I purchased a great 16' open trailer - new - for $1600. It is all steel, no wood. Has two wheel ramps and is open in the center. It is a great trailer, however, I did have to put new tires on the trailer because I did not trust the chinese tires. Great trailer and I do enjoy trailering on an open trailer as it is very easy to tow with a 1/2 ton truck. The big drawback is that trailering an open car takes a toll on the top. I have no problem removing the top to trailer the car, but it might rain.

So, I decided I wanted to research enclosed trailers and I found a 7' X 16' enclosed motorcycle trailer that works absolutely perfect for roadsters with the top down. Easy to tow and the car is completely enclosed so I don't have to worry about rain. Its also easy to park. I find myself taking the cars more often where I am able to drive them when I arrive as well as able to put them away when I am done.

The only drawback is that I cannot put a closed car in the trailer, so I have to use the open trailer for the few times I trailer my coupe.

Works for me - might not be a solution for everybody

Last edited by hotrodalley; 11-23-2014 at 11:52 AM.
hotrodalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:25 PM   #27
barkleydave

I really like the tilt bed trailers. I have a 57 MGA which is VERY VERY LOW! I have loaded on a conventional flatbed car hauler but it was difficult without scraping the bottom of the car.

Clearance will not be an issue with the A pickup !
Old 11-24-2014, 02:20 PM   #28
oliverguy

I think some guys go overkill with the tow vehicle. I have an enclosed two axle trailer that I haul my cars in, I share it with my Dad. I tow it with a toyota highlander. My dad toes it with a chevy Tahoe. A half ton pickup should be enough to tow a model A with no problem. We see the same exact trailer being pulled by diesel 1 ton pickups all the time. Total overkill.

Yes the toyota doesn't stay in overdrive all the time. I lock it out of OD if not going down hill or have a tail wind. I get 18 MPG pulling, the car cost 32K new and my wife can drive it the rest of the year. Compare that to some big truck that costs over 45K, gets like 10 mpg, and is like piloting a steam ship to drive the rest of the year.
To each their own, but it seems like this big truck business is like a keep up with the jones thing.
oliverguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 03:17 PM   #29
whirnot

I too have a 16' open trailer, the normal style with the wood bed. It hauls the A's great, and my F-1 all the way from south Texas. Cost about $1600. I use it for hauling firewood, other cars, tractor Etc. Has been a great trailer for the last 15 years.

I have to admit we want a closed trailer as well, so we can use it for an A garage on long trips. The Roadster doesn't like sleeping outside in the rain. I have about zeroed in on a 8'5" x 16 foot vee nose. Should be large enough but not too large for the F150 and the vee gives better wind break. The biggest problem in finding an enclosed trailer is the price. They tend to be a lot less expensive in the southeast but, of course, the freight kills you.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:52 PM   #30
dlfrisch

As to backleydave - Kentucky....I have used CRC Transport out of Woodruff, SC - Jason Cothran - 864 612 3324. Good enclosed transport, friendly, reasonable $, and on scheduled time. They have hauled my different "A" s for me a few times and I highly recomend these guys.
dlfrisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:57 PM   #31
Fred
BANNED

Haulmark Closed 25' Truck, 2011 Ford F-150 Harley Davidison with a 6.2 gas engine.. Pulls over the Va. & Tenn. mountains with "A" in it with no problems.. But it likes gas !!.. I did not buy it for saving gas $$..
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:29 PM   #32
barkleydave

I loved the aluminum trailers. I have a small aluminum utility and looks new after 10 years outside. My neighbor had an aluminum outside not behind locked gate and was stolen within two weeks! He left the tires on it and locked the tung. Did not slow them down a bit!
Ouch! Still fighting with insurance company after six months.

No more than I would haul a steel would work if I had someplace to keep it indoors.
I have four other trailers undercover but now out of space.

As to towing... I towed cars for years with a Ford Expedition and a Tommy Aluminum trailer. Handled great!

Thanks again for all the great input.
I really like the HH trailer. I wish there was a model A club in my area so others could help with purchase or pay a small amount if they wanted to use it.

No clubs near me..
Old 11-25-2014, 11:03 AM   #33
trulyvintage

Lightbulb Re: car hauler trailer

Your best bet would be to befriend a local member of a car club,
then when the need arose to have hauling done you could make
the trip with a friend ....

Unless you haul every day - there is not a good reason to purchase
and maintain a multi - car enclosed trailer & tow vehicle.

The exception would be if you have deep pockets ....

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 11:55 PM   #34
fiddlybits

I bought a damaged 5th wheel RV for $50 (fire), tore the shell off the frame off, build a wood deck and added LED lights for a total tab of under $300 and two weekends of labor. Have since added a winch and the sloped tail and still only have about $600 in it.
Pull it with a 2002 Dodge Ram Cummins 5.9L and have had three cars on it using a set of ramps to put the first car on the "upper level".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1890.jpg (87.7 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1889.jpg (99.3 KB, 80 views)
fiddlybits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 12:33 AM   #35
Pinstripe

nice job Fiddly!!
Pinstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:12 AM   #36
Ronnie Lawson

IMG_2245.JPG

IMG_2247.JPG

I have an ATC trailer. It is 38 foot long and 8.5' wide. It is all aluminum with a living quarters in front.
We have put over 7000 miles this past summer on the trailer.
Ronnie Lawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:50 PM   #37
John S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Lawson View Post
Attachment 203434

Attachment 203435

I have an ATC trailer. It is 38 foot long and 8.5' wide. It is all aluminum with a living quarters in front.
We have put over 7000 miles this past summer on the trailer.

Really nice rig, first class for sure.
John S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 12:25 AM   #38
Tom Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian Simpson View Post
We use a 1996 Dodge 2500 with a 5.9 ... The enclosed trailer can handle two Model A's or eight 1200lb yearlings.

Ian
Man, I envy you those eight yearlings. With cattle prices what they are today you could pay for a new Ram/Cummins rig with two loads.
Fearless
Tom Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 01:33 PM   #39
Chris Haynes

When pulling an enclosed trailer behind my F250 I don't even know its there.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 06:58 PM   #40
mhsprecher

This talk of trailers brings back memories. I knew a guy who claimed he put a Model A on the back of an old VW transporter "pickup." I can't believe he did it, but he was a bit nutty, so I took him at his word.

I towed all manner of cars with a tow bar attached to my 56 Chevy with a 235 6 cyl engine. I was young and stupid and I am lucky that I am here to tell the story.

Last edited by mhsprecher; 11-27-2014 at 07:08 PM.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote