Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-28-2020, 03:02 PM   #21
MrBruce

Default Re: Distributor Lubrication

The original distributor bushings had black dots or spots (which was graphite) and that's why they didn't have near the problems we do today. When I left Clevite, I got a box of the graphite distributor bushings and use them when I rebuild a distributor. From what I've seen, most of the bushings you buy for the distributor do not have the graphite spots on them and thus don't lube the shaft.
MrBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 02:20 PM   #22
john charlton

Condensation seems to be ever present at the top of where the distributor enters the head . Rusty shafts etc etc . I remove my distributors every year and give a good clean and lube both bushes upper and lower . It is surprising how much moisture gets up in that area . It only takes a moment to pop the distributor out and in again . I also regularly oil between times . I use the oil in the small squeezy container with the extendable tube and little red cap which I mostly lose !!! I coat the stalk with "copper slip" so it pulls out easy next time .

John in Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-29-2020, 09:48 PM   #23
Kurt in NJ

Just taking ordinary pump oil gun, give a couple of squirts in the oiler, good and full, go for a drive around the block, take a look at the upper bushing area where the shaft comes out and there will be fresh oil dampness ---at least that is how it works with my car

The instructions for most cars are to oil just a few drops, in the model A instruction book it says to fill it full
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote