Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #1
40 Deluxe

Default Use of avgas?

With various discussions and threads about the use of avgas in our cars, I thought I'd post this link for getting our daily dose of technical knowledge (actually it's not that hard reading and very informative). Avgas is truly a different animal!

http://royalpacificpetro.com/html/te...as_content.htm

Don't stop at the first page; there's more.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 07:32 PM   #2
woofa.express

Default Re: Use of avgas?

I've burned considerable avgas through motor cars including Model A's.
This was because it was available, I used to buy a tanker load at a time.
It gave no extra performance, neither before or after lead content was significantly reduced.
High compression engines may have been different due lead. Many people came with jerry cans to buy it but I think they were just kidding themselves.

And there are times when I have a long memory.

Last edited by woofa.express; 05-02-2020 at 02:50 PM.
woofa.express is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 08:34 PM   #3
Bruce of MN

Seems like overkill for our low compression engines. Even the highest compression OHV motors should do well with premium pump gas imho.
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 08:52 PM   #4
Synchro909

On a long tour a couple of years ago, I had trouble with the engine pinging. One of the first things I did after checking the timing was to run a tank or two of higher octane fuel. I tried 98 octane whereas the ordinary stuff I use is 91. It made no difference whatsoever, even after I found and rectified the problem.
I bet I know what you're thinking right now - so what was the problem?
It was the Model A #3/4 crossfire. I fitted the new distributor body I carry and all was back to normal.
Old 05-02-2020, 06:00 AM   #5
Fairview

100 LL fuel, the kind most general aviation planes use, is known for withstanding long term storage. It smells good, too, smells like you are getting ready to go someplace interesting!
Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 06:49 AM   #6
Patrick L.

The main thing with avgas is the different carbon chain. It won't varnish and/or break down so it stores well.

Aviation engines are low compression and low speed engines. They don't need any fuel issues while in use, you can't just pull over and wait for a service truck if the engine decides to quit running because of poor fuel.

I use to store engines using avgas just to keep the system from varnishing.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 06:49 AM   #7
McMimmcs

Unhappy Re: Use of avgas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce of MN View Post
Seems like overkill for our low compression engines. Even the highest compression OHV motors should do well with premium pump gas imho.
I totally agree. What can we possibly accomplish using a fuel that was never intended for a low compression antique car. Overkill is very appropriate terminology.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 07:32 AM   #8
History

I have a friend who uses it in cars he rarely drives for the reason you mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
The main thing with avgas is the different carbon chain. It won't varnish and/or break down so it stores well.

Aviation engines are low compression and low speed engines. They don't need any fuel issues while in use, you can't just pull over and wait for a service truck if the engine decides to quit running because of poor fuel.

I use to store engines using avgas just to keep the system from varnishing.
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 08:43 AM   #9
rotorwrench

Not all aviation engines are low compression. The average aircraft engine is 8.7:1 ratio. I Work on the helicopter engines and one of them is 10:1.

Avgas is expensive due to the chemical make up and cost to refine. Even though it is called 100 Low Lead, it still has a lot of tetra ethyl lead in there. It is way overkill for most auto engines unless they are high compression but it still has a tendency to load the plugs with lead deposits. I get to clean the stuff off every 100 hours. Aircraft plugs are larger so that they have less a tendency to foul to a point where they won't function.

If a person want to use it, I would recommend mixing it with premium Mogas or Mogas with no alcohol of any rating just to make it go farther and further dilute the lead content. It has too much lead for the average auto engine.
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 08:44 AM   #10
Bob Bidonde

The higher the gasoline's octane, the more additives it has so it does not combust cleaner than lower octane gasoline. Aviation gasolines have 104 or higher octane ratings. Tetraethyllead lead is still used in many aviation gasolines. Unless it is free, don't waste your money on expensive aviation gasoline for your Model A.

Have some fun with your Model A by running some of folklore fuels we hear about from the good old days. I ran my Coupe on home heating, alcohol and blends of both with gasoline. The heating oil made a stink, so my buddy Don would ride run behind me! Perhaps 151 Rum will work?

Last edited by Bob Bidonde; 05-02-2020 at 08:50 AM.
Bob Bidonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 09:08 AM   #11
Benson

Rotowrench,

In post 9 you say that plugs must be cleaned.

In 1970 with leaded gasoline the method used by some was sandblasting on two stroke dirt bikes.

We found at dealer shops that blasting took the glaze off insulators which required more frequent cleaning.

What is the practice nowadays?

Thanks
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 11:38 AM   #12
Patrick L.

I only know of one aviation engine with 10/1 compression. Most I'm familiar with have 7.5 [or so] to 8.5 [or so].

I consider below 10/1 as low compression.

Avgas certainly still contains a lot of lead.

The higher the octane rating, the slower the burn rate.
Old 05-02-2020, 01:15 PM   #13
Hitman

I use it whenever I can! It’s great, the car runs noticeably better.

AV gas doesn’t have all of the pollution additives, cleaning additives and other things in regular retail automotive fuel. AV gas stores for a long time and the cars don’t vapor lock. That is the benefit of AV gas.

It’s not much more per gallon than automotive fue and the lead content is relatively low. If you can buy it, I’d try it.
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 01:52 PM   #14
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post

AV gas doesn’t have all of the pollution additives, cleaning additives and other things in regular retail automotive fuel. AV gas stores for a long time and the cars don’t vapor lock. That is the benefit of AV gas.

It’s not much more per gallon than automotive fue and the lead content is relatively low. If you can buy it, I’d try it.
you say you use it whenever you can, Why not buy it then at your local airport every fill up ?
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 03:30 PM   #15
Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMimmcs View Post
you say you use it whenever you can, Why not buy it then at your local airport every fill up ?
Because, like you, I’m not always near my preferred gas station when I need gas. Airports are difficult to access if you don’t show up in an airplane, so coordinating an 8 gallon fill up takes time and effort. If I wanted hundreds of gallons for an airplane, that would be a different story.

Ethanol free gas isn’t available at an automotive fuel station within 100 miles of me, but the residential airport is a mile away.
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 03:46 PM   #16
5851a

Is it possible to pay road us tax at airports? Was just curious, back in the drag strip days I was told the airport wouldn't sell here because of no road tax on it.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 03:46 PM   #17
Werner

Hallo und guten Abend!

Tetraethyl lead is often only considered as a knocking brake for highly compressed engines.

Leaded fuel also has the great advantage that good emergency lubrication is guaranteed in the very high temperature-related limit lubrication area (piston/cylinder at top dead center, exhaust valve stem, valve seats).

To date, the replacement has not been fully successful!

Ford Model A, Roadster, 1928
Citroen 11 CV, 1947
Hercules W 2000, 1976; (with NSU-Wankel Rotary Engine), Canadian version
Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 04:15 PM   #18
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post

100LL is still over $4/gal in this neck of the woods.
Old 05-02-2020, 04:39 PM   #19
dumb person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
100LL is still over $4/gal in this neck of the woods.
That's cheap! I had a ...not 100% stock car that wouldn't run well on less than AV gas.
It'd knock all the time on 91. Knock and rattle on acceleration on 98. AV gas was fine.
Still original series engine block though.
Miss that car.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 04:43 PM   #20
JOHNCL

Fundamentally important to its touted storage value is absence of alcohol.
JOHNCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 09:54 PM   #21
daren007

Sand blasting spark plugs? Bead blast yes but sand?
daren007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 11:21 PM   #22
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by daren007 View Post
Sand blasting spark plugs? Bead blast yes but sand?

Yep, sandblasting! From at least the '40's through the 60's just about every dealer and independent shop had a spark plug cleaning machine that used sand and compressed air to clean carbon deposits off plugs. Most were sold by AC (the spark plug company). First you put the plug into a rubber grommet on top of the unit and hit the blast valve, which blasted the plug electrodes with sand using shop air. Then you hit another valve to blow the grit off the plug. Next you threaded the plug into the test chamber and attached a high voltage lead to the plug terminal and turned on the high voltage, which sent a steady arc across the plug. There was a mirror so you could see the arc going across the plug gap. Then you added compressed air to the chamber and watched to see at what pressure the spark was blown out or started going down the center insulator instead of jumping the gap. I forget what the minimum pressure requirement was for the plug to pass but if it didn't pass after cleaning and re-gapping, it was time for new plugs. Yes, "clean and re-gap spark plugs" was a standard tune-up procedure.
Old 05-03-2020, 12:01 AM   #23
Benson

Yes thanks 40 D

We used blasters with an aluminum case with small bag of sand, a valve to select sand or air.

I had a new 1970 "Black Tank" with yellow stripe Yamaha RT-1 360 and a couple of DT-1 250s.

When I got 1976 XT-500 4 stroke I never cleaned that one as it never got fouled.

I never used it on the Model A plugs.

Just waited until electrodes on plugs got rounded before replacing them.

The plugs on A never got fouled,,, stayed clean.

Last edited by Benson; 05-03-2020 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-03-2020, 03:11 AM   #24
Karl

The local Gas station sells AV gas but we have a racetrack nearby and the boy racers need Av gas for their insanely high compression engines. I have tried it in all my vintage and classic cars Didn't notice any performance difference from my standard 91 Octane . What i did notice was a nice white deposit on the exhaust pipe after a long trip- like we used to get in the old days with leaded gas -not a surprise given the lead contained in AV gas.
Old 05-03-2020, 10:50 AM   #25
rotorwrench

We use two different types of spark plugs currently in aviation engines. Some folks want the massive electrode types since they are about half the price of the $110 each fine wire irridium electrode plugs. With massive electrode types, they will last about 200-hours if your lucky. The iridium tip fine wire type can last up to 800 hours so they are worth the price.

All of the folks that sell spark plug cleaning equipment are glad to sell you their abrasive. They use gray to black aluminum oxide for the most part. The glass beads will erode the sealant between the insulator and both the center electrode and the outer casing so it isn't recommended. The glass sort of jams in the crannies inside there. I know folks that have used glass bead and never had a problem but these engines have huge pistons so it likely doesn't matter all that much as long as the plugs are blown out well before reinstallation.

On car plugs, you just run them till they start missing and then throw them away & put in new ones. I don't know too many folks that take them out and clean them unless they are original type spark plugs. Now those can be cleaned.
Old 05-04-2020, 04:59 AM   #26
Benson

Rotowrench,

Thanks for the information on spark plug blaster usage.
Old 05-04-2020, 11:07 AM   #27
30 Closed Cab PU

Had a basic auto shop class in high school, instructor was adamant about not using blaster cleaners to clean plugs. May have said something similar to Rotowrench's post, but do remember him saying blasters can pit/etch the porcelain - not a good thing. Was what I was taught.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 12:46 PM   #28
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
Had a basic auto shop class in high school, instructor was adamant about not using blaster cleaners to clean plugs. May have said something similar to Rotowrench's post, but do remember him saying blasters can pit/etch the porcelain - not a good thing. Was what I was taught.

Blasting did etch the porcelain, but with leaded gas and oil burning engines, plugs became fouled with carbon fairly often, especially with a lot of low speed, in-town driving. Thus the habit of getting out on the highway and "blowing the carbon out" when an engine started missing. It often worked, at least temporarily. it was cheaper to have the plugs cleaned than to replace them. Electrodes didn't last nearly as long back then,either. So, "clean and re-gap" was standard procedure. New plugs every 10,000 miles and points every 20,000 was the rule of thumb I was taught 60 years ago.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:02 AM   #29
JohnI

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofa.express View Post
I've burned considerable avgas through motor cars including Model A's.
This was because it was available, I used to buy a tanker load at a time.
It gave no extra performance, neither before or after lead content was significantly reduced.
High compression engines may have been different due lead. Many people came with jerry cans to buy it but I think they were just kidding themselves.
I’m considering using avgas100LL in my 1934 Ford flathead. No ethanol and a little lead. The engine is original. Any thoughts?
JohnI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:31 AM   #30
rotorwrench

It won't hurt it but it may experience some lead fowling if it is straight 100 Low Lead. 100LL still has more tetra ethyl lead than auto gas ever did. It's a very stable fuel but it's also very expensive. I'd mix it with Mogas and preferable Mogas with no alcohol just to make it stretch farther.