Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-29-2015, 01:37 AM   #1
deuce_roadster

Default Drake 32 headlight socket info

This info may help anyone else who purchases Drake headlight sockets. I bought a pair of 32 2 light headlight reflectors and sockets for my coupe as I want to use the single filament socket for turn signals. The reflectors are quite nice, fit my NOS headlight buckets perfectly. A NOS single socket fits the Repro reflector great--no problems with the reflector. However, this will come as a great shock to you (sarcasm intended) the new sockets will not fit correctly in the new reflectors! I figured it out and fixed them and here is how I did it. The original sockets go into the reflector and then turn clockwise to lock them in. The repros go in the hole but would not rotate. After comparing them to the original I see that a slot that allows the rotation of the socket is not there, only a very small notch. The socket is brass and a hacksaw blade nicely cuts the slot that is missing. See attached pictures. You can see the missing slot is the one that goes to the large slot that runs the length of the socket.
I won't waste my time calling them and finding "nobody else has had this problem". To talk to someone who could actually fix the problem I would have to speak Chinese.
One other thing, the 3 curled metal pieces that hold against the back of the reflector are soft metal NOT spring steel like the original. You can bend them and make them hold however.
The arrows point to the slot I had to cut to make the socket work
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:57 AM   #2
Planojc

Default Re: Drake 32 headlight socket info

Thanks for the info.
Planojc is offline   Reply With Quote