Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-28-2014, 09:17 PM   #1
moonshine runner

Default New problem

Ok guys,

I have a new issue with my flathead. As a lot of you know, I just got new water pumps and front motor mounts installed and everything back together.

Some of you may remember a previous post where back in the fall I had a firing problem and traced it down to a bad resistor under the dash.

Once replaced, the car seemed to start and run great. I drove the car off and on during the winter until the right water pump started leaking.

Anyway, once I got the car back together last weekend, I went to start it and get it warmed up to check for coolant leaks, etc. and it would not start for anything.

It acted like it was going to fire a couple of times, then nothing. Crank and Crank.

I did the normal voltage tracing starting at the battery, solenoid, starter switch, resistor and out to the coil where at the time, I had 6V at the coil because the points were open.

I turned the engine a bit to close the points and had 4V so everything is seeming normal at this point.

In addition to replacing the resistor last fall, I replaced the coil and condenser. The only thing I haven't replaced is the points which I am thinking that I am going to remove the distributor and send it to Jim at Bubba's.

Anyway, I finally managed to get it started and it seemed to idle pretty low where as before it idled fine so I set the idle screw up some so it I didn't have to worry about it dying.

I took it out for a test drive and it don't miss but you can tell there is like a slight flutter in the run out.

Also, at a stop / idle, the engine will be idling away, then the idle drops and picks back up.

So, I am wondering it there is some kind of quick voltage drop or maybe the points are getting bad.

I know it's hard to diagnose something like this without hearing the engine run, but I've tried to explain it the best I can.

Thanks for any and all replies!!

Kevin

Henry Ford.
moonshine runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:40 PM   #2
Henry/Kokomo

Default Re: New problem

Are you sure you're getting fuel and in the proper amounts? Intermittent vacuum leak? Have you cleaned up the points after setting all winter? Sometimes they get a non-conductive "film" on them. I use the rough surface on book matches when necessary. Its a pretty fine abrasive.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:13 PM   #3
flatjack9

I would check the carburetor. Sounds like the inlet needle is sticking. This would cause the engine to want to die and then catch when the needle unseats. If the needle isn't the steel type, get one and try it.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:29 AM   #4
Johnnydidd

My 53 Victoria did the same thing, I put in electronic ignition, long reaching plugs to make sure the plugs were at the at the bottom of heads, (alumn heads) all new wires, cap and rotar, , rebuilt carburator, cleaned it couple times still didnt help seemed like it wasnt right, it would run ok but idle it would idle fine then drop real low in rpms, finally Bob at Baxter Ford suggested a new 94 Carb put it on runs like a dream.
Johnnydidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:17 PM   #5
moonshine runner

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Thanks everyone for the replies!! Much appreciated.

I've been leaning a bit toward fuel too. May need to rebuilt the 94.

Kevin

Henry Ford.
moonshine runner is offline   Reply With Quote