Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-14-2013, 02:31 PM   #1
bluesman31

Default Recommendations for temporary garages for Snow

There are many manufacturers of temp garages. Typically made of tubing covered with fabric

Anyone have personal experience with any brands that have held up well over the years and handles snow on top of them?
Old 01-14-2013, 02:45 PM   #2
56servi

Default Re: Recommendations for temporary garages for Snow

I have had portable garages for the last 10 years years or so. I have had 2 from Harbor Freight & they last about 4 years each. The last one I got thru Meijers & it is a King Canopy 10x20. It has the heaviest material & the biggest poles on any I had. They have all been thru the snow & rain here in Mich and no problems. The Harbor Freight ones just had the material rot away.
Be sure to secure them to the ground so they don't blow away.
56servi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:14 PM   #3
jeep44

I have a Harbor Freight one-it's on its second set of covers now-the sun will eat the cover up in just about a year or two-I keep another big tarp over the new cover now, and this has protected the cover well (I also moved the garage into the shade at the rear of my yard,which has helped). The sun will also eat up the little bungee cords holding the cover onto the frame over time.
The framework just loosely fits together, which makes assembly awkward, so I used self-tapping screws to hold all the pieces together, making it much more rigid-just don't position the screws where the heads will wear on the cover.
The "garage" has held up well in some very strong winds (it has a tractor in it now, and the tires are parked on boards which are holding the side rails down).
jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
Aok

I have had a few over the years no sure what I have now but its been standing 2 winters no problem These are New jersey winters so not alot of snow but the trick is to brush off the snow when it builds up on the top. Other thinds I have found is the cheaper ones use smaller diameter tubing .
As to wind most come with poor anchors I have added a 1/2 dozen of the twist in ground type that are used for green house. My survived hurricane sandy. Finally I have a newer large Rhino shelter that will go up next spring summer it looks well made but about 4 times the price of a harbor freight shelter
Aok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:55 PM   #5
Barry B./ Ma.

I bought a 12x20 house style Coverit Garage (now Shelter Logic) in 1995 and the cover lasted 8 years as it was getting threadbare and dripped water. I simply bought a new cover and put it right over the original. Last year I bought a new front panel, both purchases were very reasonable. Originally I erected and bolted the unit to a wooden deck built with PT 2x6s and 3/4 plywood.All in al it's stood up welland with the larger pipe size can carry a good snow load. A couple of years ago there was at least a foot and a half of snow on it. I keep my doodlebug and some spare lumber in it.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:59 PM   #6
29ModelA

My Harbor Freight one lasted about 5 years with some tweaks, but it was the hardest to put together as it only slipped together.

My TSC Shelterlogic Homeowner 12x24 holds up to snow and stuff well enough, but it only lasted 2 years before wind damaged it. Probably a fluke though.

Interior, steering box (rebuild), and I am sure much more!
29ModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:04 PM   #7
miss victoria

My cosco 10x20 was only $199.00 but only lasted 1 year its falling apart.(calif sun?)
miss victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:41 PM   #8
MikeK

These only last one season, but the cost is minimal.

MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:20 AM   #9
Ak29

I live in Anchorage and I have had my tempory garage about 7 years. Every time there is a big snow I go inside the garage with a push broom and push the top up and down until the snow falls off.
Ak29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:16 AM   #10
Scott NY

I have 2 sherlter logic ones for work, have had them for over 10 years, just replaced one cover last year. They have held up to the upstate NY snow with no problems. I believe they do have 2 grades of covers, an standard and a heavy duty.
Scott NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:11 PM   #11
darrylkmc

Here in Fairbanks I have a Shelterlogic, its about 4 years old and works well as long as I keep it adjusted so that the material is nice and taught. I do as AK29 says and use a push broom from the inside and the snow slides right off.

Be sure to stake it down, or tie it to your Model A, otherwise you might have to collect it from over the neighbors fence stuck up under the eaves of his second story house.

Darryl in Fairbanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg user9967_pic9354_1312920336.jpg (53.2 KB, 19 views)
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote