Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-05-2012, 01:52 PM   #1
Ford1933

Default Need info on 37 Ford waterpumps

I bought a 37 Club Coupe restoration project that supposedly had the engine gone through by a meticulous professional. I have not yet tried to fire the engine since the distributor is missing. My main question is thaty when I rotate the water pump pulleys it is not a real smooth feeling. There seems to be a few points where the bearings slightly catch. No noise, just the jittery rotation. Would you be suspicious if this was your project? Any suggestions on what to do about the missing distributor?
Ford1933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #2
Terry,OH

Default Re: Need info on 37 Ford waterpumps

For the distributor contact Bubbas hot rod shop he MOST LIKELY can supply what you need ready to install. The water pumps unless new Mfg. or rebuilt will not have bearings. The pumps have bushings that are lubed by the engine oil. Some oil should have been added before installing to the oil light bushings oil passage. They are not very hard to change when installed so run them for a short time and then see if they leak, pull the belt and check for early excessive pulley movement. Do use stainless bolts in the water passage when mounting.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:14 PM   #3
bige386

Default Re: Need info on 37 Ford waterpumps

If your not sure on these water pumps I would suggest sending them out to Skip Haney and have him rebuild them. I wouldn't put them back in use just to find out there bad or leak and have to pull them out again. Save your self a lot of trouble and head ache and have them rebuilt.
Just my two cents.