Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-29-2023, 03:05 PM   #21
Pete

Default Re: 1936 Steering Box Lubricant

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandkt View Post
What lubricant works besst in my 1936 Ford steering box?
Thanks
What works best in YOUR steering box can NOT be determined by asking other people. It can only be answered by YOU actually testing various lubes in YOUR steering.
What satisfies most people is not scientifically, physically or mechanically acceptable to people that want "best".

The equipment to test for "best" is very basic and simple. It consists of a cheap dial indicator and a basic fish spring scale.

The test method has been published on this and other forums before several times.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 04:28 PM   #22
1952henry

Seth, I find myself having to double check the grades myself when this comes up on various forums. Easy enough to get mixed around. Seems the 00 is a big hit with the early Jeep steering boxes and front knuckle housings. Have read good things about cv joint lube as well. Just getting my own ducks in a row for when the assembly starts on my own project.
Old 04-29-2023, 08:51 PM   #23
koates

Scrape some JD corn head grease out of the tube into a clean fruit can and heat it up on the stove (not in the kitchen) or camping stove until it becomes a liquid and then pour it into the steering box filler hole and fill right up. When driving the car the exhaust manifold will heat up the steering box and the corn head grease will become a thick liquid. You can watch on the JD site how this happens inside a corn head gearbox. I have used it in several early Ford V8 cars and it works well without leaks. Regards Keviin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 08:57 PM   #24
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by koates View Post
Scrape some JD corn head grease out of the tube into a clean fruit can and heat it up on the stove (not in the kitchen) or camping stove until it becomes a liquid and then pour it into the steering box filler hole and fill right up. When driving the car the exhaust manifold will heat up the steering box and the corn head grease will become a thick liquid. You can watch on the JD site how this happens inside a corn head gearbox. I have used it in several early Ford V8 cars and it works well without leaks. Regards Keviin.
That most likely will only work on right hand drive cars.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote