Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-03-2022, 02:11 AM   #21
quickchange

Default Re: King Pin Reaming

What Pete says is correct , you can buy set adjustable paper reamers from Harbor freight will give you a reasonable job ,
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 05:06 AM   #22
Bruce of MN

I searched the Harbor Freight site and didn't find any straight reamers. Can you post a link?
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 09:05 AM   #23
Afordman31

PeteCruz2715 You are most welcome! Have a good day!
Afordman31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 09:20 AM   #24
PeteCruz2715

All,
I may be buying a THIRD KP bushing reamer!! I believe this one will do the trick!

https://www.icscuttingtools.com/catalog/page_194A.pdf

PeteCruz2715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 12:17 PM   #25
bbrocksr

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteCruz2715 View Post
All,
I may be buying a THIRD KP bushing reamer!! I believe this one will do the trick!

https://www.icscuttingtools.com/catalog/page_194A.pdf

Don't use a straight blade adjustable reamer, they are hard to cut a smooth finish with.
Get a precision spiral blade reamer with the long pilot like the Model A vendors sell.
Bill
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 02:12 PM   #26
vern hodgson

Kindly indulge my ignorance but how do honing and teaming differ? I would assume reaming is cutting a hole to size with bladed reamer and honing the same but using abrasion??
vern hodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 03:07 PM   #27
bbrocksr

Quote:
Originally Posted by vern hodgson View Post
Kindly indulge my ignorance but how do honing and teaming differ? I would assume reaming is cutting a hole to size with bladed reamer and honing the same but using abrasion??
Correct.
Old 10-03-2022, 04:22 PM   #28
PeteCruz2715

All,
Great information! Another question arises however. People are saying that the King Pins available now have significant variation in diameter. My understanding has been that the original KP's were .814 dia. An adjustable KP reamer seems like the answer however many don't like the adjustable types. I see Snyder's offers one very close to one like my friend Tom Endy recommends but Snyder's doesn't mention the diameter of this NON-adjustable reamer at all. I'd really rather do the work myself if possible but this has me scratching my head!!!
PeteCruz2715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 06:59 PM   #29
aermotor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteCruz2715 View Post
All,
Great information! Another question arises however. People are saying that the King Pins available now have significant variation in diameter. My understanding has been that the original KP's were .814 dia. An adjustable KP reamer seems like the answer however many don't like the adjustable types. I see Snyder's offers one very close to one like my friend Tom Endy recommends but Snyder's doesn't mention the diameter of this NON-adjustable reamer at all. I'd really rather do the work myself if possible but this has me scratching my head!!!
Don't forget that with new bushings the inside diameters will decrease after pressing the bushing in
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 07:17 PM   #30
Mulletwagon

This is the reamer that I used and it worked great !

https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/p...7701&cat=41753

I miked the diameters and found the input end was .802, diameter past the flutes was .805. I measured the flutes as best I could and it was .814.

The fit on the kingpins was an excellent sliding fit. The pins were new which is probably essential to an acceptable fit if reaming rather than honing. I always prefer to buy special tools if necessary to do the job rather than farm the job out. As mentioned earlier, after new bushings are pressed in the ID will be reduced and must be reamed. I also bought the king pins from Snyder. I would go the same route again. Good Luck.
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 08:26 PM   #31
Dino's A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
They need to be done with a rigid hone so the holes are on the same centerline. The mandrel goes all the way through both bushings.
Got it, Thanks-Dino
Dino's A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 06:55 AM   #32
Phil Brown

Also a note for those of you who might not know, NEVER turn a reamer backward or back and forth like a tap. Believe it or not it takes that cutting edge right off
Phil Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 07:33 AM   #33
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by vern hodgson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrocksr View Post
Correct.
Yes Vern, ...however the Hone stones have more surface area to support the cutting action whereas the cutter's narrow width of the Reamer does not always have the ability to support itself. The benefit a spiral Reamer has it can keep the Reamer centered. My honing stones are trued in a carbide sleeve to ensure they are accurately round prior to honing the bushing, and then the type stones I use have a 320° coverage around the inside bore's radius. Because I can remove one-quarter of a thousandth (0.00025" !!) of an inch with my machine, I can first measure the ground shank area of the Spindle Bolt to know the exact size and then hone to the appropriate clearance size. This cannot be done with a fixed Reamer.

Quote:
They were reamed at the factory. Reaming with a precision kingpin reamer is as good as factory.
Yes, possibly Bill ...however mostly No in the method being discussed here.

At the factory, they were indeed reamed with the Spindle mounted into a fixture that created rigidity, AND the Reamer was being driven at a constant and continuous speed under mechanized power. There is a HUGE difference between hand operating a Reamer with the spindle mounted into a vise, -vs. clamping the Spindle into a rigid fixture with a purpose built and ground Reamer being driven by a machine that has a quill that does not deflect. (The best analogy I can give is it is comparing factory reaming to hand reaming is like comparing two paint jobs on Model-As, -one sprayed with Krylon aerosol paint cans, and the other sprayed with a SATA 5000 spray gun. Someone can argue that both jobs were spray painted, however I suspect we all can easily spot the quality differences between the two methods. )

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

Last edited by BRENT in 10-uh-C; 10-04-2022 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Changed word from Hone to Reamer.
BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 09:07 AM   #34
Kurt in NJ

if the spiral in the reamer matches the spiral oil groove in the bushings the reamers will chatter
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 12:30 PM   #35
vern hodgson

Ok, thanks for the clarification.
vern hodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 12:54 PM   #36
bbrocksr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Yes Vern, ...however the Hone stones have more surface area to support the cutting action whereas the cutter's narrow width of the Reamer does not always have the ability to support itself. The benefit a spiral Reamer has it can keep the Reamer centered. My honing stones are trued in a carbide sleeve to ensure they are accurately round prior to honing the bushing, and then the type stones I use have a 320° coverage around the inside bore's radius. Because I can remove one-quarter of a thousandth (0.00025" !!) of an inch with my machine, I can first measure the ground shank area of the Spindle Bolt to know the exact size and then hone to the appropriate clearance size. This cannot be done with a fixed Reamer.

Yes, possibly Bill ...however mostly No in the method being discussed here.

At the factory, they were indeed reamed with the Spindle mounted into a fixture that created rigidity, AND the Reamer was being driven at a constant and continuous speed under mechanized power. There is a HUGE difference between" hand operating a hone" with the spindle mounted into a vise, -vs. clamping the Spindle into a rigid fixture with a purpose built and ground Reamer being driven by a machine that has a quill that does not deflect. (The best analogy I can give is it is comparing factory reaming to hand reaming is like comparing two paint jobs on Model-As, -one sprayed with Krylon aerosol paint cans, and the other sprayed with a SATA 5000 spray gun. Someone can argue that both jobs were spray painted, however I suspect we all can easily spot the quality differences between the two methods. )
Hand operating a hone?
Old 10-04-2022, 01:05 PM   #37
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Hand operating a hone?
Nope. Sunnen LBB 1600 series pin fitting machine using the Tennessee Abrasive T1000 hone. These units are fixed mandrel units that the cut is dialed in (-not spring loaded with variable tension as some hones are)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 10-04-2022, 04:00 PM   #38
bbrocksr

Brent ,I was questioning your last post where you said " hand operating a hone with the spindle mounted in a vise"?
By the way I also own and have operated a sunnen hone for years but I also know how precise a precision reamed hole can be.
Bill

Last edited by bbrocksr; 10-04-2022 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-04-2022, 04:09 PM   #39
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Brent ,I was questioning your last post where you said " hand operating a hone with the spindle mouted in a vise"?
By the way I also own and have operated a sunnen hone for years but I also know how precise a precision reamed hole can be.
Bill

Good catch Bill. I changed it to read correctly.

FWIW, if you have never used the upgraded TA-1000 mandrel and stones on a Sunnen pin fitting machine, you won't believe how much of an improvement it is over the standard Sunnen hones that used the one stone and two shoes.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 10-04-2022, 11:30 PM   #40
Ricky Mullen

I have several reamers if anyone is interested. Call me at (540) 493-8756. Email is [email protected]. And you can message me here. Also quite a few other Model A tools. I can make a nice care package. Brands include Snap-On, Blue Point, Herbrand, Bonney, and others. Also have model T and early Ford V8 tools. Some are quite rare.
Ricky Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote