Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-10-2021, 09:07 PM   #1
Stingray70

Default 4 post lift

I am seriously considering installing a 4 post lift in the near future. Those of you that use them, what to look for? What to avoid? I dont mind spending a bit more to avoid cheap imported junk. Definitely want something I can get parts for in the future.

I also have a couple of Corvettes so shallow ramps are important.
Old 02-10-2021, 09:19 PM   #2
TerryO

Default Re: 4 post lift

I really like my 9000 lb 4 post Advantage Lift. I also went with the taller one so I wouldn't scalp myself every time I walked under it. It has nearly 7 ft clearance underneath as well as casters so it can be moved. I went with 120V so it can be plugged in where ever I place it. I've had it for 5 yrs and no problems. My son's F350 crew cab will fit but just barely.I hope this helps.

TOB
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 09:29 PM   #3
Stingray70

Thanks Terry. Were you able to assemble/install it yourself?
Old 02-10-2021, 10:59 PM   #4
PalAl

I asked a similar question last May and got some good information.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280369
PalAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 06:00 AM   #5
Wick

I have a Backyard Buddy 4 post lift. I use it for different things. I can back my truck up to it and slide the camper shell off and on. I have backed a car trailer to it and rolled a car off on to it.
I had a roadster body on it and rolled it onto the chassis. If you work by yourself it's like having a extra pair of hands.
I can also hang parts off of it for painting.
Wick
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 06:18 AM   #6
brokenspoke

BendPac I love mine
brokenspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 07:59 AM   #7
Ray64

Eagle with #7000 Cap. Also casters to move it around Perfect
Ray64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 08:32 AM   #8
Big hammer

Any lift would be better than no lift! But to me wouldn't a two post be better? A two post you could lift a body off the frame, remove an engine, have less objects when removing rear ends. Maybe the question is what are you going to do under a car just oil changes or major work. With a 4 post it looks like a pia to work around thr ramps and cross members.
Old 02-11-2021, 08:47 AM   #9
Chris in WNC

Backyard Buddy is best and safest.
Avoid the others.
Old 02-11-2021, 08:54 AM   #10
Stingray70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big hammer View Post
Any lift would be better than no lift! But to me wouldn't a two post be better? A two post you could lift a body off the frame, remove an engine, have less objects when removing rear ends. Maybe the question is what are you going to do under a car just oil changes or major work. With a 4 post it looks like a pia to work around thr ramps and cross members.
I agree with you and in a perfect world I would have a much bigger shop and one of each! I have limited space and like the idea of not having to bolt the lift to the slab. I really would like something to make general maintenance easier (especially on the Vettes). If I start pulling bodies off of frames, I will need a bigger building anyway.

I saw a 4 post setup recently where there were sliding crossmembers about a foot wide that could be moved anywhere along the ramps. He had pneumatic jacks that sat on those and could lift axels, etc. That made it easy to remove all 4 wheels.
Old 02-11-2021, 08:58 AM   #11
old31

Stingray I have used my 2 post on C1's and My Model A. Just like Big said you can do more and easier than with a 4 post.

2 posts take up less room (you don't have 4 posts and you don't need the extra length for the ramps), you do have to drill into the concrete (need about 4 inches), you can store cars on them, and you do not have to purchase a rolling jack to work on brakes or front end.

https://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-9KOHX

Last edited by old31; 02-11-2021 at 11:03 PM.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:00 AM   #12
ronn

I agree with you Big Hammer- would think the 4 post would be best for storage.

doing a brake job and Im thinking the 4 post would always be in the way.........
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:10 AM   #13
TerryO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray70 View Post
Thanks Terry. Were you able to assemble/install it yourself?
Along with my son we assembled it in 2-3 hours...The track with the cylinder is pretty heavy (my engine hoist came in handy) . Another nice thing about the extra height is that the ramps hang down a little lower when the lift is raised and if you don't take them off I still have head clearance...(I'm 6 ft).

TOB
Old 02-11-2021, 09:15 AM   #14
TerryO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in WNC View Post
Backyard Buddy is best and safest.
Avoid the others.

I just looked on the Advantage site and they now build the Backyard Buddy lifts. Also they look to be quite a bit lighter (smaller components) than the Advantage. I first saw the Advantage at Hershey a few years ago and was impressed enough to save a flier and compared with other brands before I bought one.
Old 02-11-2021, 09:17 AM   #15
77Birdman

I have neither, but if and when I get one it will be a 4 post. I think they both have their advantages and disadvantages. My thought process and I may be wrong, is that a 4 post is a bit safer, and offers better/safer storage. As for buying one, I would approach like any tool, buy the biggest and best you can afford. I looked at Backyard Buddy a few times at Carlisle and they def were a quality product. At the time they were being made in the US.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:18 AM   #16
77Birdman

I thought at one time Backyard Buddy was a 'mom n pop' type of manufacturer, I recall reading that they were sold to another company, I suppose it was Advantage.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:21 AM   #17
TerryO

Smile Re: 4 post lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
I agree with you Big Hammer- would think the 4 post would be best for storage.

doing a brake job and Im thinking the 4 post would always be in the way.........

The tracks are great to put the parts and tools on when working on brakes plus if you have a large shop you can put it where you want it even outdoors...

I don't think I feel comfortable anchoring a 2 post lift in only 4 " of concrete...JMHO

TOB
Old 02-11-2021, 09:50 AM   #18
wwirz

I have an EAGLE 4 post lift. My 1930 Model A is on it now raised up about 3 feet and dressed to keep the mice out (Hopefully----I spray it once each week with peppermint spray too). Wheels are lifted to take the load off the bearings for the winter. Nonetheless, it is a very versatile lift that I can use for all of my cars and tractors. It is safe. I raise the cars and tractors high enough that I can walk under them. It is permanently located and attached to a concrete slab.
wwirz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 10:44 AM   #19
ronn

I don't think I feel comfortable anchoring a 2 post lift in only 4 " of concrete...JMHO

dont know a single person who doesnt install at least 8" around posts.

4" would def not pass muster at any township permit.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 11:02 AM   #20
Roger V

Several years ago I checked this out. Ended up with a Autolifter (since under another name) four post. Made in the USA and was certified vs. most then were just "approved" by a marketing association. While I had the floor in that bay poured six inches thick I thought the four post safest and take care of my needs. The movable jack bridge took care of most things. This lift is movable which I've done though not frequently. The MAIN thing to check on a four post is how the cross beams attach to the posts. IMO they need to be around the post NOT inside a slot in the post. If in a slot I would definitely anchor to the floor. I've seen pics of that type collapsing. A two post has some advantages and requires special extensions for a Model A to clear the running boards. Have seen some lifting under the radius arms! A friend's co-worker dumped a car when he removed a rear-end because he didn't think about putting it out of balance. So, I have a four post.

BTW, I brought it home on my open car hauler. Went to the trucking terminal so I had a dock to back up to as there's no way to unload off a semi at home. They loaded on with a fork truck with long forks and chains. I unloaded in my garage with a cherry picker on one end and chain fall on the front side of the trailer (1700 lbs.) Assembled by myself with the cherry picker. The one exception was needing my wife to keep the main runners from moving while positioning. Took 3 to 4 hours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lift.jpg (58.8 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by Roger V; 02-12-2021 at 07:53 PM.
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote