Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-29-2022, 07:30 AM   #1
FrankWest

Default need a new 6 volt battery for my 1933

What types can you recommend? I had an Optima red top but these are increasingly difficult to find. Amazon used to sell these but not anymore. Autozone has them but not in my area and they don't deliver.
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 09:34 AM   #2
Fritz

Default Re: need a new 6 volt battery for my 1933

They do seem more difficult to get right now. Six years ago, NAPA ordered one for me. I believe that battery has reached its end, and I have a new one waiting for me at Advance Auto Parts. Not sure where your area is, but they may ship it free to your house.
Cars and metal rust away and are destroyed, but the Word of God will stand forever (Isaiah 40:8, Matthew 24:35).
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 10:31 AM   #3
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
They do seem more difficult to get right now. Six years ago, NAPA ordered one for me. I believe that battery has reached its end, and I have a new one waiting for me at Advance Auto Parts. Not sure where your area is, but they may ship it free to your house.
Thanks for the info, NAPA has a lead-acid 6 volt with a 6-month guarantee!
I had better stick with the optima
Old 06-29-2022, 11:56 AM   #4
Ziggster

A couple of auto parts stores told me a few weeks ago when I was looking for a new battery for my daily driver that there are only two manufacturers left in the USA that manufacture batteries. One was Johnson Controls. Is this true? For my off-road truck I use Odyssey batteries which are supposed to be 100% pure lead. They typically last 7-10 years, but are spendy.
Ziggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 12:23 PM   #5
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
I like your biblical quote Fritz!

I have 2 optima batteries both 5 or 7 years old. When I put them on the charger it says they are charged, but when I pull the plug and again turn on the charger it says they are charging. And I can repeat this forever. If they were really charged would not the charge say fully charged when I first attached it? I imagine that old batteries can be charged but can't hold the charge when removed from the charger? Maybe a leak/breakdown insulation that quickly bleeds the charge off??? or the electrolyte has outlived its usefulness?
I think the batteries are going bad. what do you think? They come with a 3-year guarantee so I guess they have outlived themselves.

Last edited by FrankWest; 06-29-2022 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-29-2022, 12:46 PM   #6
tubman

I have had two in my '51. The first lasted 13 years, and the current one is going on ten and still strong. In my experience, five and seven years is relatively young in Optima terms.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 12:54 PM   #7
supereal

I just replaced a seven year old Optima. It would still crank the engine, but was low enough after its "winter nap" to get one more start. I ordered my new Optima through Interstate battery. The cost was about half I had previously paid. Took three weeks to get it.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 01:06 PM   #8
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWest View Post

I have 2 optima batteries both 5 or 7 years old. When I put them on the charger it says they are charged, but when I pull the plug and again turn on the charger it says they are charging. And I can repeat this forever. If they were really charged would not the charge say fully charged when I first attached it? I imagine that old batteries can be charged but can't hold the charge when removed from the charger? Maybe a leak/breakdown insulation that quickly bleeds the charge off??? or the electrolyte has outlived its usefulness?
I think the batteries are going bad. what do you think? They come with a 3-year guarantee so I guess they have outlived themselves.

Frank, That's how the charger works. They have to boot up before taking a reading of your charge. Your batteries are too young to die unless you have damaged them with a fast charge.
Old 06-29-2022, 03:56 PM   #9
koates

Frank, check the voltagge of your 6 volt optima battery with a multimeter set on DC VOLTS. A fully charged optima 6 volt battery should read 6.3 volts across the terminals.or maybe a little more. Frank, where have you been, thought the Indiians must have got you. You have not posted for a while.. LOL. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 05:11 PM   #10
Fritz

Thanks Frank! Optima told me a fully charged battery should hold 6.4 volts. Their website says 6.3-6.4. You can try to find a place that will test 6 volt batteries. I hope my new one lasts longer in a more moderate climate and with better care.
Cars and metal rust away and are destroyed, but the Word of God will stand forever (Isaiah 40:8, Matthew 24:35).
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 09:18 PM   #11
koates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggster View Post
For my off-road truck I use Odyssey batteries which are supposed to be 100% pure lead. They typically last 7-10 years, but are spendy.
Frank was inquiring about 6 volt batteries. Odyssey seem to only make 12 volt batteries, I cant find any 6 volt batteries in their listings. Regards, Kevin.
Old 06-30-2022, 07:30 AM   #12
FortyNiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggster View Post
A couple of auto parts stores told me a few weeks ago when I was looking for a new battery for my daily driver that there are only two manufacturers left in the USA that manufacture batteries. One was Johnson Controls. Is this true?
Johnson Controls was indeed a USA based manufacturer of acid lead batteries for a number of years. That business was sold off in 2019 and ultimately spun out by the new owners as Clairos, a subsidiary of Canada based Brookfield Partners.
Old 06-30-2022, 08:13 AM   #13
1931 flamingo

Frank: Do you have the "proper" charger for the Optima??
Paul in CT I've read you can't use a regular charger. Do a search here.
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 09:55 AM   #14
koates

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
Frank: Do you have the "proper" charger for the Optima??
Paul in CT I've read you can't use a regular charger. Do a search here.
Not true. An Optima battery is a lead acid battery just its construction is different to a normal flooded battery. Any normal battery charger is OK with an Optima, but like any battery they dont like to be overcharged. Regards, Kevin.
Old 06-30-2022, 10:10 AM   #15
tubman

I have never used anything but "regular" chargers and maintainers on my Optima's, and they have all lasted more than 10 years.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 12:48 PM   #16
1931 flamingo

I stand corrected.
Paul
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 07:27 PM   #17
FrankWest

Not available?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg optima.jpg (12.0 KB, 44 views)
Old 06-30-2022, 08:19 PM   #18
koates

I had one 12 volt Optima battery in my old Toyota HI-LUX ute for 18 years before it died. All other Optimas have lasted me more than 10 years which would be their normal life span. I dont leave my Optimas on a battery charge maiintainer all the time but rather only have them on a low charge for one day about once every 6 weeks or so. All my old cars have Optimas fitted and the charge rate for that one day (24 hours) is about two amps. Another important item is to have a battery cut off switch in all our old cars to stop any drain on the battery and works also as an anti theft device as well. Some early Optima batteries gave trouble especially if left on charge all the time which caused internal gassing which corroded the lead cell connecting links to the battery terminals. That fault has been fixed but you dont want them gassing by being on charge all the time. Their shelf life just sitting is much longer than a normal flooded type lead acid battery. In my opinion the Optima is the best you can buy. Regards, Kevin.
Old 06-30-2022, 09:18 PM   #19
JayChicago

Curiosity question:
What is the AGM battery in my reproduction Ford script battery from Battery Central? What does "AGM" mean? Same technology as an Optima?
JayChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 09:46 PM   #20
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayChicago View Post
Curiosity question:
What is the AGM battery in my reproduction Ford script battery from Battery Central? What does "AGM" mean? Same technology as an Optima?
It stands for "Absorbed Glass Mat."

Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote