Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-11-2022, 12:04 AM   #1
GT1929

Default Headlight bar offset to right

Not sure how to fix this left hand light very close to radiator right hand light further away to the right?
GT1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 12:27 AM   #2
Synchro909

Default Re: Headlight bar offset to right

My guess is that at some time the car has been involved in an altercation with another on the left hand front corner. That has resulted in both fenders being pushed to the right. The headlight bar pushed the right hand fender to the right. Al that has bent the mounting brackets.
To fix it, you need to remove both fenders and return the brackets to the correct position. I had that happen once so I pushed and pulled them up or down till they were the same height and the same position fore and aft so the holes in the fenders would line up with them again. Park the car on a level surface first and go for it. Be fussy or it will never be right.
Old 03-11-2022, 01:29 AM   #3
GT1929

Hello,
Thanks sort thought I would have to disassemble it, I do have an couple of the brackets might try and see if they are the same.
GT1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 02:52 AM   #4
SAJ

My roadster right hand headlight was about 1-1/2 inches closer to the radiator than the left. I took off the brackets, made both the same shape, tweaked anything else I could think of and got the gap to 3/4 difference. Only noticeable if you told someone. I used some serious force on both guards without removing them, but could not get the gap closer. One fender is more crowned, the other more flat from accident damage and repairs long before I got the car.
I cheated by modifying the headlamp ball mounts slightly to gain another1/4 inch and now live with a half inch difference side to side. All this was 15 years ago, so I cannot recall all the details.
The real fix is to remove the left hand guard, strip the paint and wheel more crown into the shape to narrow the profile. This was too much trouble for a car I just want to drive and not show.
A few years ago my wife's 31 Tudor was hit on the right front. Insurance paid for a top restorer to repair it.
That fender is now noticeably higher than the left. Again a big job to reshape, and not something I am contemplating. The first thing that happens in an attempt to squeeze in more crown on a finished fender in two-pack is the paint will crack. On my roadster I split the edge wire in attempting this fix too.
Not very encouraging for you, but if the basic crown and width of each fender are not rhe same due to accidents and repair, no amount of adjustment of the underside mounting arms will fix things.

SAJ in NZ
SAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 08:57 AM   #5
Bob Bidonde

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Find the center of the front crossmember and mark it. Working from the center mark, tweak the frame horns, fender supports, fenders, radiator placement & hood alignment until dimensions taken left & right of the center mark are equal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 190A Radiator, Shell & Hood Installation 317kb.jpg (54.3 KB, 29 views)