Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-22-2020, 07:32 PM   #1
Will D

Default No more gallivanting - temp question

Long story short, after suffering with random cyl 4 misfire, extensive troubleshooting and finally a leak test, my exhaust valves in cyl 4 on my daily driver are hooped. Now driving the pleasure craft to work till I figure out what I'm gonna do....

24 stud 59A, with recored radiator, temps usually run around 180. This morning it stayed at 180 but the ride home I was pushing 200 +/-. Outside temp was 86F, 35 mile trip on flat hwy going 55mph. Is that too hot or ok? I've also noticed on pleasure trips, doing a good hill climb or hitting 60-65 mph it creeps up to 200. Once on flat or dropping to 55mph it comes back to 180F. But today it stayed at 200F till I got home.

I have recently rebuild the distributor. Is this normal temp ranges or does my timing need to be advanced a little more or different issue?
Will D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 07:45 PM   #2
deuce_roadster

Default Re: No more gallivanting - temp question

What rear end ratio do you have? If 4.11s 60-65 mph is probably revving pretty high. What kind of temp gauge are you using, stock?
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:06 PM   #3
Will D

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
What rear end ratio do you have? If 4.11s 60-65 mph is probably revving pretty high. What kind of temp gauge are you using, stock?
3.78 rear. Stock gauge in car. Checked with cheapo laser temp gun when I got home and was between 197-205 on the head and 212 on the top of rad.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:00 PM   #4
Talkwrench

Sounds fine too me if its not doing anything else. Check your timing .
Old 07-22-2020, 09:42 PM   #5
deuce_roadster

If it isn't boiling over it should be OK. With the warm weather we are having it might be ok when the weather gets back to normal. Do you know the condition of your radiator?
Out of curiosity, what is a "hooped" valve?
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:07 PM   #6
Will D

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
If it isn't boiling over it should be OK. With the warm weather we are having it might be ok when the weather gets back to normal. Do you know the condition of your radiator?
Out of curiosity, what is a "hooped" valve?
Radiator was re cored couple months ago. Essentially new aside from reused tanks.

Hooped: Canadian slang for broken or useless. The valve is burnt and or bent....
Old 07-22-2020, 10:10 PM   #7
Will D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkwrench View Post
Sounds fine too me if its not doing anything else. Check your timing .
Just a little unnerving as the stock gauge ends at 212. It ends up being a smidge from max.
Old 07-23-2020, 06:11 AM   #8
richard crow

you rebuilt the dist try advancing the timing. if the eng temp was ok before dist rebuild good chance tha,ts it
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 10:05 AM   #9
rockfla

[QUOTE=Will D;1912174]Just a little unnerving as the stock gauge ends at 212. It ends up being a smidge from max.[/QUO
IF it helps you any....here in north Florida where its pretty much 90+ every day here in the summer and upper 70's to low 80's at night.....My 39 Merc doesn't have number values attached to the temperature gauge BUT by my posted picture to the left MINE runs right around the notch between "normal" and "Hot". Last evening it was about 81 (it rained and cooled things down) so I was driving it around last night and it was running a little low of the "center" notch. Sitting waiting at "long" traffic lights it would creep up to touching the "center" notch. ON real hot days it runs on the "center" notch and at long lights just "above" the center notch of "N' & "H".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 39MercGenGage2.jpg (25.9 KB, 167 views)
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 01:09 AM   #10
Will D

I have been running the stock radiator cap(or what I believe to be stock). It has no markings as to signify the pressure rating. I ended up swapping it out for the 10PSI cap I was given from the shop when I had the radiator recored. It's was 94F today and with the new cap, engine temp stayed just above 180. Creeps up to 190 sitting still but cools quickly once moving again.

Got my head back from the machine shop today for my daily driver. New exhaust valve and resurfaced, hopefully I'll get it installed this weekend. I love driving the old ford, but sure do miss the a/c for the daily commute.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:16 AM   #11
supereal

Finding one "hooped" valve is a sure indication that more are to come. A compression test will confirm whether there is a problem. A bent valve is unusual in an old flathead.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 01:53 PM   #12
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

Are you running thermostats ,it sounds like you have a 5/10 deg margin only . with out theromostates it should run about 170 (to cold ).you need another row of tubes ,or a shroud will do it ,My 34 runs about 140 ,not ideal I need to add thermostats,its cold here. . send me a PM and I with send you the plains for a shroud .Ted

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:18 PM   #13
drolston

Canada, eh? For sure make sure the spark is not retarded. The concentration of anti-freeze significantly affects the heat carrying capacity of the coolant in the system. During summer you can run a much lower concentration, like 20%. Just enough to keep the chemistry right, - but it only protects from freezing down to about 18 degrees. That lower concentration will be at least 10% more efficient than running 50/50.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:56 PM   #14
V8COOPMAN

[QUOTE=rockfla;1912267]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will D View Post
ON real hot days it runs on the "center" notch and at long lights just "above" the center notch of "N' & "H".

What's so interesting here is that it runs that cool...….even while going 100 MPH, as evidenced by the picture! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:40 PM   #15
Will D

Quote:
Originally Posted by supereal View Post
Finding one "hooped" valve is a sure indication that more are to come. A compression test will confirm whether there is a problem. A bent valve is unusual in an old flathead.
The valve issue was on my jap scrap daily driver for work. #4 exhaust valve had a big hole burnt in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatheadTed View Post
Are you running thermostats ,it sounds like you have a 5/10 deg margin only . with out theromostates it should run about 170 (to cold ).you need another row of tubes ,or a shroud will do it ,My 34 runs about 140 ,not ideal I need to add thermostats,its cold here. . send me a PM and I with send you the plains for a shroud .Ted
I'm running 180 thermostats. I can run it all day at 40-50 with no issues or drastic rise. Sticks right at 180. This past week it was creeping up to 200+/- with the higher ambient temp and cruising 55-60 for approx 30 miles. Then the other day it held at just above 180 on a hot day(94F) after I changed the radiator cap. Not sure if this was just a fluke or the cap made a difference.

Thinking I may have found the problem or part of it. There is an inline valve on the hose going to the heater core under the seat. It has been leaking and slowly getting worse. Not allowing the system to pressurize properly and/or introducing air?

Side note, should this valve as mentioned above be closed when heater core is not in use or should it be left open all the time except to service the heater core?
Old 08-06-2020, 10:45 PM   #16
Will D

[QUOTE=V8COOPMAN;1917439]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post

What's so interesting here is that it runs that cool...….even while going 100 MPH, as evidenced by the picture! DD
Lol, coop I think that is just the indicator line in rockfla's gauge pic, not the needle on 100. Same as the bold indicator line on the temp and battery gauge above the L, N and H.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:12 PM   #17
Tinker

If you think you are running hot. take the stats out. Watch the change. Then do something else. Lots of possibilities, simple things are good. infrared reader to verify, not that they are good also. . Usually very good.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 03:24 PM   #18
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

The heater tap should be off when not being used ,check that the thermostats have been installed correctly they have a tendency to roll over weld them into a 2" ss pipe with a 1/8 vent hole ,remove the states (as above )observe the temp readings it should run colder ,original gauges often don't read accurate , Ted

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote