Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-12-2020, 02:39 PM   #1
rinzana

Default 1929 Briggs Steelback 60-C Windshield Pics Please

Hello,

Does anyone have any pictures of the area at the top of the windshield both inside and out side the car? My metal cross member is a little rough and I would like to know if it shows in the inside at all after the interior is installed.
As for the outside I bough a 30-31 steel piece that goes between the windshield and top cross member that covers the wooden header in the front. However my car has indentations on the top cross member for the windshield hinge to line up into and the piece I purchased does not.
Does the 29 Fordor have this piece and it is just not available? The wood is really not visible unless you cran you neck to specifically look at it.Should I just paint the front of the header black? What does everyone else do?

Thank you,
RInzana
rinzana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 08:49 AM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: 1929 Briggs Steelback 60-C Windshield Pics Please

One of our contributors here has a good photo spread of a restoration on one of these.
http://www.model-a-ford.com/proj_11.shtml

The sun visor for the Briggs cars is an important part for proper fit up of the frontal top area. While there is steel for some structural elements, most of it is the wood. The wood header is covered by the sun visor component for the most part. Getting the wood right is likely most of the battle. Even the wood kits that are available generally need adjustments to get the right fit up. The wood has to be a tight fit to lessen the movement and the associated noises that can go along with that. The interior trim will cover up most everything inside the car when it is completed.

Perhaps someone with more experience with this model will add their thoughts to help you. The Briggs and Murray Fordors can be challenging restorations.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 08:41 PM   #3
Roadster62

If I took photos it would take forever to find them, but the sun visor, and top metal are covered in lead to give mating area a nice finished appearance. Bob
Old 06-13-2020, 09:38 PM   #4
Tom in SW VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinzana View Post
Hello,

Does anyone have any pictures of the area at the top of the windshield both inside and out side the car? My metal cross member is a little rough and I would like to know if it shows in the inside at all after the interior is installed.
As for the outside I bough a 30-31 steel piece that goes between the windshield and top cross member that covers the wooden header in the front. However my car has indentations on the top cross member for the windshield hinge to line up into and the piece I purchased does not.
Does the 29 Fordor have this piece and it is just not available? The wood is really not visible unless you cran you neck to specifically look at it.Should I just paint the front of the header black? What does everyone else do?

Thank you,
RInzana

I will send some pics as soon as my Fordor gets out of the garage.
Tom in SW VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 03:24 PM   #5
rinzana

Thank you rotorwrench, but I did not see a picture of the part of the car I need. I wish I could post pictures of my metal header and Windshield hinge parts but I have no internet hosting service.

Last edited by rinzana; 06-16-2020 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-16-2020, 03:45 PM   #6
rinzana

Pictures of my Header and Windshield Hinge, you can see the indentations I am speaking of, they are on both side about 12" in from each side and are about 2" in length.
I need a "Panel under the visor" for my car.

Thank You,
Rich
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Model A Windshield Hinge.jpg (44.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Model A header piece.jpg (60.2 KB, 27 views)
Old 06-17-2020, 08:39 AM   #7
rotorwrench

I assume that the panel under the visor is a steel part that protects the wood header. It would be interesting to see a photo of that piece. Depending on how it is formed, it may be possible to fabricate one if that's how it works.

This link is for a 1930 model and I'm sure there are differences but likely similarities at the same time. It has a steel under the visor piece that can be seen during fitting in several photos. This link has the kind of photos that restorers like to have.
https://www.fordmodela.com/restorati...tal-main-body/

Last edited by rotorwrench; 06-17-2020 at 09:04 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote