Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-29-2019, 02:34 PM   #1
lalkie

Default Pickup Steering

I have a 29 closed pickup and it steers very hard. From pictures of the steering gear it is the 2-tooth model. If I raise the truck off the ground it steers fine. It is starting to get the death wobble and the front end needs rebuilt. What is the best way to fix the hard steering problem? Do models-A's steer hard? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Larry
lalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 02:43 PM   #2
Synchro909

Default Re: Pickup Steering

Steering is hard at low speeds - they are not fitted with power steering and some newcomers have trouble adjusting. There is a technique. At what speed are you experiencing a problem?
Old 09-29-2019, 03:48 PM   #3
lalkie

Low speed is where I am having the problem. Any particular reason they steer hard at low speed or stationary?
Old 09-29-2019, 03:59 PM   #4
History

You have greater friction while stopped or at slower speeds. You really shouldn't have much problem once the wheels are turning/moving forward or backward.
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 03:32 PM   #5
Conaway2

I recently rebuilt the steering box (for the 2nd time) on my 31 roadster -which I’ve owned for over 50 years. The steering has always been hard - until this most recent rebuild. I installed new bearings, a new sector gear and a new sector housing machined to accept a needle bearing and modern o-ring seal. I also installed a new, shorter pitman arm - got all the parts from Bratton’s, but other vendors have all the same parts. I had replaced the steering arms with ones that new round balls years ago.

The car now steers so much more easily - even while stopped. I keep the tires inflated to 35 psi.

Good luck !
Jim
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 03:50 PM   #6
WHN

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
With a totally rebuilt front end including spring and wishbone, new tires (35psi), and correct shocks. Our 1929 Sport Coupe steers with one hand once it just starts to move. 3 or 4 mph and above.

At road speeds you can use just a couple of fingers. It’s a pleasure. When not moving or moving very slow, the car steers much heavier.

Drop the front end and check/rebuild everything. Please don’t forget the brakes. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 05:28 PM   #7
1931 flamingo

What tire pressure are you using?? Is there lubricant in the steering box??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:17 PM   #8
lalkie

Thanks for the response. It appears as if Model A's steered hard. I plan on rebuilding the steering gear and replacing some front end pieces. Thanks for the help. Larry
Old 10-01-2019, 08:10 AM   #9
rocket1

What size tires are you running,stock I hope,yes needle bearings in the sector housing will definitly help.Check all the steering balls for out of round,front end should be completely gone over.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:16 AM   #10
jhowes

I need to pursue the needle bearing issue. If the shaft were spinning at some speed, then I would think that the needle bearings are the way to go. Since the total movement of the pitman arm shaft is but a few degrees and the side pressure is considerable it should seem that the bushing system would be better. You are not pressing a small needle into the case that the shaft passes through. Any thoughts on this? Jack
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 11:44 AM   #11
Purdy Swoft

A lot of bad has been said about needle bearings at the sector . I use the needle bearings and have had no issues . The car steers like power steering when it is moving . I also replaced the sector , worm gear and shaft plus all bearings . I've found that usually the more parts that get replaced the better . My wife says that our roadster steers as good as a modern car .

Adjustment is often the problem that most have . With the pitman arm only installed to the sector shaft, you san feel the slack as it adjusts out of the two tooth steering . Many times a person keeps tightening in an attempt to get that last little bit of slack out of the steering . Two tooth steering adjustments are Very sensitive and care must be taken to avoid drag or too tight steering .In many cases an inch and a half or two inches slack is the best that it gets . There are parts in the front end that can cause problems with steering .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote