Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-15-2017, 09:19 AM   #1
Dale G.

Default K.R. Wilson tools.

This is for all you K.R. Wilson tool collectors, we are missing the spring that goes on the pinion tension tester part #4610. Is there anyone out there that may have this spring to buy or is there a satisfactory replacement available?
Thanks for any or all information in advance. Dale Gosa.
Dale G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:26 AM   #2
redmodelt

Default Re: K.R. Wilson tools.

Contact this guy;
http://krwilsontools.com/
Old 09-15-2017, 09:45 AM   #3
larrys40

Dale,
I'm a collector and user of KR wilson tools... The spring is 2.4 inches in height,
There are 12 coils .080 . You will have to use a spring scale ( I use a push pull inch pounds style) to callibrate or check a spring for correct tension.
Make sure you put it on the area at the driveshaft round ( if yours has the screw adjust put it there) as if you put it on the end it will not be correct.

I just checked one against my spring tension and it's about the same give or take an inch pound at 10. You can increase the tension and again check it at 20.
You may have to go visit a hardware store supply taking your dial caliper in hand and see what you can find.. and then go back and do some bench work and testing. You'll need a cap end with a dimple end as well. I wouldn't suspect Tim Hill has a spare spring as there are more fixtures than correct original springs hanging around. I think my test and suggestion is best for you and will get you on or very close.

I use mine every time I do an axle.
Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:10 PM   #4
KR500

I was able to get a couple of the springs for Jim Mason for a couple of his pinion pre-load testers. The springs are available from Ace hardware. It may be necessary to slip one or two small washers into the spring pocket before installing the spring. I am able to calibrate the testers with a Sturtevant inch pound beam torque wrench because they are calibrated to work in a right or left hand position. I will try and post a pictureof process.
KR500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:43 PM   #5
KR500

This maybe pics of K.R. Wilson tension wrenchs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0658.jpg (45.2 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0659.jpg (56.8 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0660.jpg (46.5 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0661.jpg (52.0 KB, 70 views)
KR500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:26 AM   #6
John

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
An excellent source for springs is McMaster-Carr, an industrial supply house. They have an online catalog, just go to WWW.MCMASTER.COM and browse thru more than a 1000 page catalog. It does have a spring section with many choices. It has been my "go to" source for years when I was involved with industrial maintenance and equipment design and usually the items ship in a day or so.

The outside diameter, inside diameter and wire diameter are listed with the springs. Springs are rated using a "K" factor which is a pounds per inch of compression. I will have to dig out a spring from my tool to get a good reading for sourcing the spring. McMaster Carr should have a reasonable choice.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:20 AM   #7
Dale G.

Thank you all for responding, good information! John if you can come up with a number from McMaster/Carr would be extremely helpful. Thank you again, Dale Gosa'
Dale G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:45 PM   #8
John

The easiest way to contact McMaster Carr is to "click" on the WWW.MCMASTER.COM in my first post or this one. That is the link that will take you to their online catalog. Type in spring in the search box to get to springs in the current catalog. Trying to explain your spring characteristics to a sales person may be a bit difficult. An old catalog I have lists a number for their New Jersey location at (732) 329-3200, I do not know if it is still valid.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 04:16 PM   #9
Grier

I know this is an old thread, however I found a spring at McMaster Carr that works -at least for me. It is part number 9657K439 cost $9.68 plus shipping for a bag of 6. The outside diameter is 0.845” with a wire diameter of 0.080” x 3.0” long. I tested the spring in the KRW #4610 pinion tension tester with my inch-pound torque wrench and after oiling the pivot on the KRW 4610 it was right at 20 in-lb.
Grier is offline   Reply With Quote