Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-24-2014, 11:30 PM   #1
bart78

Default 1930 Town Sedan

I got asked to come look at a Town Sedan. The guy that has it. It belonged to his grandfather. It's been kept indoors it's whole life. He has all the papers from the dealer. It has sat for probably 40 years now. What all do I need to look for on it. He said they got it started to move it. I don't know much about the town sedan. He said nothing had been done to. Still the same as he got it new.
bart78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:43 PM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: 1930 Town Sedan

Are you trying to insure that it really is a town sedan? What year?

OOPS missed the year in the title

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 07-25-2014 at 12:50 AM. Reason: OOPS missed the year in the title
Mike V. Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:45 AM   #3
Ed Wendell

Bart,
Not sure why you are concerned. If he has all the original paper work from the dealer it should have the model information. I would jump at a car that is a one family car, been stored inside, only has 40 years of ware and tare and the dealer paper work. What a find.
Ed
Ed Wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:02 AM   #4
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wendell View Post
Bart,
Not sure why you are concerned. If he has all the original paper work from the dealer it should have the model information. I would jump at a car that is a one family car, been stored inside, only has 40 years of ware and tare and the dealer paper work. What a find.
Ed
I'm only guessing but I think he wants to be sure the paperwork matches the car, is the car really a town sedan.

So lets see,

1930;

Center fold down arm rest
oval dome light over rear seat
Mohair interior
Robe cord across the front seat.

More then one of us will be really disappointed if you get this car and restore it. Put some seat covers on it. Adjust/fix the mechanical stuff and drive it!!! it is only original once
Old 07-25-2014, 05:08 AM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

I would look for any signs of wood rot. How do the doors fit? Check the wood at the door bottoms and frame areas. Open the doors a few inches and gently lift up and down. Are the hinges solid? Use a pin or ice pick to poke at the wood and see how solid it feels. It sounds like a very good find if the wood isn't rotten.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:13 AM   #6
Barry B./ Ma.

How is the interior? Did the mice get in it? A new interior for a town sedan is expensive. I had a town sedan and had to do some wood repair along with rebuilding the engine and a new interior. I sold it and barely broke even but it was a pleasant car to drive.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:14 AM   #7
Terry,NJ

For a look at the innards of a TS, go to my profile and open "My 30 TS" I took on more work than I planned, but it had been "wrecked" by kids making it into a Clown Car. Yours is a lucky find!
Terry
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:26 AM   #8
bart78

The interior is in sad shape from what I have been told. He told me it has the original paint. But says it looks bad. After sitting that long I think anything would. But I bet washing and buffing might help it. If kept inside around here. The wood will be good. I guess I'm just wanting to know what would be on the car. People that don't know about cars. Usually tell the wrong stuff. It's owned by two brother. So having to deal with two people. One that wants nothing to do with it. And one realizing now that he has no idea what to do with it. And does not have the money to have someone work on it.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:12 AM   #9
DUNN1929

If you could post some pictures it sure would help to answer some if not all of your questions. Not to mention that we would all love to see an original "A". Pictures may also interest someone near you who could come and look at it and maybe buy it.
As a Town Sedan owner I am especially interested in seeing her original paint colors.
DUNN1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:16 AM   #10
bart78

I will take pictures when I get to go look at it. If both brothers will agree I will be buying it. For sure at the price the one told me he thought would be good for it.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:22 AM   #11
1930artdeco

If you can get it GO FOR IT!!! Sorry I am a little biased. Some other features of a TS are:

-cowl lights-check to see if they were added
-split splash aprons
-chrome door pulls
-two pointed door accents right above the door lever
-faux woodgraining around the windows

Look at Terry's pics as to what their skeleton looks like-it is really neat and scary at the same time. The main thing is the wood. If it is good you are set. Maybe you can use the shape it is in for bargaining power? But wither way that is a great find and with all of the original paperwork to boot.

Mike