Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-21-2020, 01:01 PM   #1
Ironrod

Default Offenhauser 400 Heads Value

Offenhauser 400 heads value?

Last edited by Ironrod; 11-12-2021 at 09:24 AM.
Ironrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 01:31 PM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: Offenhauser 400 Heads Value

$150 max. More if they were nice and clean ready for installation.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 03:26 PM   #3
tubman

I wouldn't hazard a guess until I had put a straight-edge on 'em, measured the combustion chambers, and checked all of the threaded holes. Depending on what I found they could be wall art or worth a lot more than $150. Remember, new ones are almost $800 these days. There was a time a year or two ago when they weren't even available (I haven't checked lately). I paid $400 for my last set of Edmunds 8BA heads and was glad to get them; they were in very nice shape, flat and no flaws.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 04:59 PM   #4
19Fordy

I rescind my low estimate based on tubman's excellent review.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 07:14 PM   #5
Ironrod

I appreciate everybody's replies, just brought the heads home. Will follow Tubman's advice and be sure of their condition before setting a price.
Bob
Old 11-21-2020, 08:17 PM   #6
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironrod View Post
Offenhauser 400 heads value?
Are you looking to buy or sell them? From the pictures, they don't look to have been excessively milled, didn't notice any broken fins. I'd say they are worth in the neighborhood of $350 - 400. That is what I'd pay for them.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 08:25 PM   #7
tubman

Looks to me that the second fin from the front on the bottom row of the driver's side head may be broken off. It looks different from the rest.
Old 11-22-2020, 05:05 AM   #8
Paul Bennett

Having new such heads I learned polishing also affects value. I paid $600 to have my new heads (plus intake manifold) polished.
Paul Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 06:33 AM   #9
Ironrod

Tubman is correct, that small fin is broken.
Bob
Old 11-22-2020, 10:02 AM   #10
Ol' Ron

The interesting part of these heads is the, Qute 400. When I was building engines, the customer had a choice of what manufacture provided the parts. most of them chose the L-100 cam and some the Offy heads. Now the Net lift of the L-100 is .360" and I always had to clearance for valve lift. This was not a problem as I had a fixture for the mill and took off the material at a 4deg angle ti keep the CR as hi as possible. Also the transfer area of thes heads is very low to increase the CR limining flow. However, for a street engine this worked in your favoe by increasing torque/ Yes I also milled them for .045/.050 Piston to head clearance. I only paid around 300 bucks for them much ckeaper than the Edelbrock's.
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 12:06 PM   #11
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
The interesting part of these heads........................................I only paid around 300 bucks for them much ckeaper than the Edelbrock's.
Gramps
I was kinda curious as to what's going on now, but what Ron posted has certainly flip-flopped. I just checked on line and Speedway now wants $1074.99 (!!) for a set of Offenhausers, but only $739.50 for Edelbrock's. Summit also has the Edelbrock's for $699.50.

"The times, they are a-changin'".
Old 11-22-2020, 12:12 PM   #12
Bored&Stroked

RE: Prices . . . yes, it is completely different on the prices of Offy's versus Eddy's heads. It seems the Offy guys need to charge a lot more than in the past - probably to justify the production run sizes and costs (but who knows). I will say, for the price, I'll stick with Edelbrock as they have excellent foundry/castings and are a good product for the price. Long gone are the days of $450 - $500 heads . . . and that was a few short years ago.

One challenge at the moment is that most folks are OUT of stock on the Eddy heads (including Edelbrock's own website) - so maybe it is a "supply and demand" issue?

Also, I did like the original "as-cast" chambers in the Edelbrock heads - better than the ones they produce today with the CNC valve pockets (that are deeper than they need to be).
Old 11-22-2020, 12:28 PM   #13
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
RE: Prices . . . yes, it is completely different on the prices of Offy's versus Eddy's heads. It seems the Offy guys need to charge a lot more than in the past - probably to justify the production run sizes and costs (but who knows). I will say, for the price, I'll stick with Edelbrock as they have excellent foundry/castings and are a good product for the price. Long gone are the days of $450 - $500 heads . . . and that was a few short years ago.

One challenge at the moment is that most folks are OUT of stock on the Eddy heads (including Edelbrock's own website) - so maybe it is a "supply and demand" issue?

Also, I did like the original "as-cast" chambers in the Edelbrock heads - better than the ones they produce today with the CNC valve pockets (that are deeper than they need to be).
I think they've caught up. My buddy had a Slingshot "on hold" for approximately 6 mons. It just showed up two weeks ago, so I think what ever issue they had, they've corrected.

I do want to get a set of block letter Eddy's just to have in stock.

I do remember reading the COVID really hit Offy's business really hard and they needed to raise their prices in order to keep going.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 11-22-2020 at 12:36 PM.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 01:36 PM   #14
Tony, NY

Many years ago I bought a set of Edelbrock heads from I think Speedway. When they arrived they were both the same side. Returned them but couldn't get a set because they were out of stock. Reason is they only make a run once a year. Things may be different now.
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 01:57 PM   #15
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony, NY View Post
Many years ago I bought a set of Edelbrock heads from I think Speedway. When they arrived they were both the same side. Returned them but couldn't get a set because they were out of stock. Reason is they only make a run once a year. Things may be different now.
Obviously you're talking about 49-53 heads, BUT here is a fun fact (that actually makes sense if you know the details of the flathead design). The original 39-48 Edelbrock heads had cast chambers and the chamber design was slightly different left to right . . . this was due to the valve angle being different on the Driver's vs the Passenger's side. The chamber areas above the valves took this into account.

Now days, they just do CNC work above the valves and I don't believe there are any differences side-to-side. (Though I have not actually measured them in detail - though I will in a few weeks!).
Old 11-22-2020, 07:26 PM   #16
nutter_Ford_guy

10 years ago I bought a set of Edelbrock heads. They wouldn't keep head gaskets sealed. As a machine shop inspector I took them to work and put on the surface plate. Found the machine stops were off on 1 end, making the bolt pattern to casting to be at an angle. Called them on phone, had the receipt and pictures to show them. They refused to take back, refused to view pictures, no refund. I sold them for wall hangers, but often wonder if they were resold as good used parts.....
All I will run now is Offy!
nutter_Ford_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 09:54 AM   #17
Ol' Ron

I wonder who's running Edelbrock now??
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 10:01 AM   #18
Ironrod

I have been cleaning these and found some troubling areas in the valve chambers and transfer pockets.
They have some pitting and a few hard hit spots. I am unsure if I need to continue to clean this heads and sale them. Certainly do not want to sale these to someone unless they can be used on an engine.
Thanks
Bob

Last edited by Ironrod; 11-12-2021 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-27-2020, 10:47 AM   #19
demingboy

Please let me know if your going to sell them I am interested as they may suite my needs. I am not building a hot rod engine as it were, just trying to upgrade what I have slightly. Email should show up in my profile I think. New here.
demingboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 12:07 PM   #20
tubman

When I was a kid, we wouldn't hesitate running those (as long as the pistons didn't hit the dome). These days, I'm a little more selective, but I don't think those are a deal breaker.

Measure and check; they may need to be re-domed.