Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-21-2016, 05:52 PM   #1
Terry, NJ

Default Today, I painted!

I wish I could post pics! Today i painted the Town Sedan, well the first half anyway! I'm painting it the "Drabs", Copra Drab and Chickle Drab. All the advice I received said to paint the largest area first, and do the rest after. The temperature was 50 deg. so I put it back into the garage where the heaters had brought the temperature above 60 deg. Needless to say, I have a lot of sanding and buffing to do. The pictures are in my album under "My A". all comments are welcome.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 05:57 PM   #2
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Default Re: Today, I painted!

Is that not a very cool temperature to be painting ? Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:18 PM   #3
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Terry,

With no responses thus far, such wonderful news for you to share with all of us.

Just letting you know my humble opinion:

We can all measure our wealth with our energy.

If you painted your Model A today, you are far wealthier than a multi-millionaire sitting in a wheel chair in an old folks home staring at the floor while his TV is blasting and he knows not what is going on.

This Forum has only rich people ..... we can all be so thankful .....the rich stays with the rich ....... rich people hang out with the rich ...... rich people always help rich people, ..... let us be happy we are all rich.

Can't believe I said that ...... but we are so rich with good health and sometimes we do not realize it ...... most sincere thanks for sharing such great news.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 02-21-2016 at 09:19 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:23 PM   #4
DJ S

I took a look at the photos and your car is coming along quite nicely! Excellent job! I hope to do a restoration of my own in the near future...
DJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:36 PM   #5
darrylkmc

Congratulations Terry on your progress.

Were you able to employ your Vintage Binks regulator in you painting project?

Darryl in an unusually warm an no snow in two months Fairbanks
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:38 PM   #6
gnolnor

Hi Terry, Congrats on your painting. About 10 years ago I painted our Briggs, 155D, Town Sedan. I used the same colors and used PPG one
stage on the body and two stage on the fenders. I enclosed a picture of
the finished project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8576.JPG (219.1 KB, 96 views)
gnolnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:58 PM   #7
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Nice Terry ,, I can't wait to see it in person...
Good job my friend

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 02-21-2016 at 10:04 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:19 PM   #8
Big hammer

Looking good! I for one really like your body dolly!
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 12:16 AM   #9
Barber31

Congrats. I can't wait to be in your shoes. Hopefully next month.
Barber31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 05:00 AM   #10
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ S View Post
I took a look at the photos and your car is coming along quite nicely! Excellent job! I hope to do a restoration of my own in the near future...
Just where did you locate the pictures? Wayne
Old 02-22-2016, 07:26 AM   #11
Terry, NJ

Thanks guys! HL, I see your point but was never able to express it so eloquently. DS, What you see are the results five years of some not so steady work.... and rework! A few things had to be redone. A few things are not perfect, but I want this project done! Darrel, Yes it was with the vintage Binks, but I think it was not adjusted properly. I think the pressure may have been too high. The paint seemed to be somewhat "shot" not sprayed in a mist.
Gnolor, Your 155 looks great! I hope mine turns out as well. I used PPG single stage too.
Thank Mitch! It didn't help that I developed a severe pain in my neck if I turned my head to the right. Lots of Australian blue eucalyptus Kangaroo goo on my neck slowed it down enough get it done. Hey, Big Hammer any port in a storm, LOL! Barber, You will get there! However, I wish I knew how to adjust the gun better and the tank pressure. As i said before, I think my regulator was set too high. It didn't mist the paint right. I've got a lot of sanding to do because of it.
Terry
Old 02-22-2016, 09:40 AM   #12
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Terry,

Per reply #2, it is so great to be associated with so many Energy Rich Forum members.

Our Energy wealth drives this Forum with Energy Rich participants ...... really, it has very little to do with "What's in your wallet?"

May the Real rich in life be thankful and continue to respect and support the Real rich.

I like your chosen colors.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 02-22-2016 at 09:41 AM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 04:23 PM   #13
Bob/Kansas City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
I wish I knew how to adjust the gun better and the tank pressure. As i said before, I think my regulator was set too high. It didn't mist the paint right. I've got a lot of sanding to do because of it.
Terry
You might try adding a regulator at the spray gun to help control air pressure easier. You'll get a much more accurate air pressure control that way. The regulators are cheap and effective. HF has some that work well and don't cost an arm and a leg.
Set the gun up empty and pull the trigger all the way back for full air flow then set the gun regulator to the correct pressure that the paint mfgr recommends and you should be good to spray. Also be sure in the cooler temps you are using a faster solvent to offset the slower solvent flash out times in cold weather. If possible choose a day when the temps are at least 60 degrees. It takes a little experimenting to get it right!
Bob/Kansas City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 04:38 PM   #14
V8COOPMAN

Terry........That thing is gonna be NICE! All you lack is finishin'-up! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 05:09 PM   #15
Terry, NJ

Thanks to all! I think I had one of those regulators on another gun That got lost and the pressure was a lot better come to think of it! I will get one! I am especially happy about the way the cowl patches came out and the bottom of the RH door. You can see the fix in my album. Except for the sanding I'm going to have to do, I'm pretty happy with the whole thing so far. Not bad for my first total restoration! And I haven't painted anything since I did a pickup I owned in the 70s with DuPont "Centari" at $15 a quart. As HL says "I'm Rich!" What is wealth? It's serenity! Serenity that comes from knowing things are going to work out.
Terry
Old 02-22-2016, 05:53 PM   #16
wrndln

I was told by paint reps not to paint below 65 degree (maybe 60 at the very lowest) as the paint wouldn't catalyze properly. 50 degrees seems too low. I assume you are using catalyzed paint as most auto paint is currently. I can't remember who I heard it from, but in Minnesota where I live, there are only 5 or 6 months to paint outside like you are doing - which I also do. Please let us know how the painting turned out, as far as the paint hardening.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 06:11 PM   #17
Terry, NJ

Rusty, I heard the same thing! As soon as the paint was sprayed, I moved the car inside where I had the heaters going. The heaters ran all night. While I haven't tested it yet, the paint seems hard to the touch today. Actually, I was working on the mistaken belief that it was 55 deg. in the early afternoon. The temperature did hit 60 Deg. Saturday.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
I was told by paint reps not to paint below 65 degree (maybe 60 at the very lowest) as the paint wouldn't catalyze properly. 50 degrees seems too low. I assume you are using catalyzed paint as most auto paint is currently. I can't remember who I heard it from, but in Minnesota where I live, there are only 5 or 6 months to paint outside like you are doing - which I also do. Please let us know how the painting turned out, as far as the paint hardening.
Rusty Nelson
Old 02-22-2016, 06:48 PM   #18
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
Rusty Nelson
My reply #2 was suggesting it was too cold. I will be surprised if the paint properly hardens! Wayne