Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-02-2022, 06:46 PM   #1
Gick70

Default Instrument voltage regulator,ivr

I replaced my ivr now three years in a row. I have a f1 converted to 12v,so my fuel gauge,temp gauge and oil gauge are using the same ivr ,is this wrong?? Where should I be getting my 12volt power for the regulator,maybe it's getting a spike??? Maybe it's the China junk ivr..?? Any suggestions???
Gick70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 07:50 PM   #2
mcgarrett

Default Re: Instrument voltage regulator,ivr

I noticed Third Generation Auto has them on their website:

https://thirdgenauto.com/product/12-...es-all-gauges/
mcgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 10:34 PM   #3
GB SISSON

I had a post up about 10 days ago called 'running ford king-seeley gauges on 12 v., or close to that . There is quite a bit of useful info on that thread. I received my reducer on Friday, but haven't tried it yet. Am tempted to make a gauge test panel with senders such as a pan of known hot water for heat, known air pressure (a tire?) for the op gauge , gas tank float that is known good. I have quite a few gauges , old and new. It seems that many of us have less than reliable gauges when going to 12 v. It would be nice to find what works and what doesn't before heading back under the dash and pulling out the panel.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 09:36 AM   #4
JMFL36

I've got 3 Runtz 12-Volt to 6-Volt Voltage Reducers I'll sell you for half the price of Speedway 12V to 6V Reducer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8658.jpg (92.8 KB, 9 views)
Old 05-03-2022, 09:47 AM   #5
rotorwrench

The old original instrument voltage regulators that started to show up around 1956/57 were bi-metalic current pulse type regulators adjusted to reduce the current and voltage for the instruments. The modern ones have been changing over from the old mechanical pulse regulation to the solid state systems. There is also the manufacturing quality control to deal with on most all reproduction stuff. Randy Rundle ran into this problem so he started using the single IC chip set ups for each instrument of the three that are generally needed. They were more reliable this way. There have also been quality control problems with the single unit IVRs or Runtz devices. Here is a link about that.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=263733

Finding a good mechanical pulse regulator or chopper type unit may not be as easy as it once was. The points can stick on them so reliability and gauge function are affected by the pulse action from both their own function and from the regulator's function.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 05-04-2022 at 11:45 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 04:44 AM   #6
Mart

Some gauges are very lively and undamped. Some are very slow to move and are heavily damped.

If you have the slow heavily damped type of gauge, the chopper type bimetallic strip type will work ok.

If you have fast reacting gauges an electronic type or resistor type will work better.

I used a 12V to 5V USB adaptor to power the fuel gauges in my 32 sedan and 33 coupe. They both use Ford Pop fuel gauges which are very fast acting and undamped.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote