Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-29-2021, 09:42 PM   #81
Mister Moose

Default Re: Paint A Car With Rustoleum?

A few tips for home painting, mostly learned the hard way:

If you haven't painted much before, practice first. Paint your lawnmower or your wheelbarrow.

Tip and roll is entirely a useable technique for open flat surfaces, but there are several precautions:
Use a foam roller as mentioned and be careful with the amount of paint loaded on the roller and applied pressure, you do not want bubbles in the paint.
While you can tip with a foam brush, you will get far better results with a high quality badger hair brush.
Practice on a piece of scrap on paint day to get the paint/reducer ratio right.
You need to learn to paint fast enough so the tipped paint has a chance to flow and self level before it dries enough to no longer flow.
Always always keep the wet edge going.
Tip and Roll isn't going to work on small radius or obstructed surfaces, those will have to be brushed.

Try to avoid painting in buggy areas or buggy times of day. If a bug gets stuck in your paint, do not try to pick it off. Let the paint dry and only the bug legs will be in the paint, and that buffs out easy.

Wait long enough for the paint to harden before sanding and buffing, but not so long to where the paint is so hard it sands with difficulty. Especially true for hardened paints.

Choose a windless day.

Prep Prep, Prep.

Chemical respirators are cheaper than lungs.

For those that choose the cheapest paint and figure they'll repaint every few years, scratches and paint imperfections don't matter since it's never a final coat!
Mister Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 06:39 AM   #82
77Birdman

I didnt respond yesterday because I thought the person that revived this 7 yo thread was a troll. Maybe not. But since others have chimed in for those wanting to paint their own cars it is a doable thing. As far as 'rustoleum' I believe the detriments of that particular brand has long been discussed here. However IF one is really inclined to paint their car with a brush and roller I suppose thats quite possible. I paint cars with a really nice spray rig settup and my day job (Gen Contractor) has me painting with a brush and roller. I have painted exterior steel doors with a roller that most people would be hard pressed to find the difference between a spray job. With the right roller, and some flo trol in the paint, and the right touch you can get it as smooth as glass. Also if the paint is put on heavy enough it can be wet sanded and polished. I believe early Rolls Royce cars were hand painted this way.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 06:09 PM   #83
kawagumby

You can paint a car at home with acrylic enamel and it can come out very well if you take the time to prep the car (sanding, cleaning) mask properly, and practice spraying patterns on surfaces so you don't tend to get runs (you can sand out and buff out runs if necessary tho').

Here's a picture of a hood I just painted in my one-car garage. I used acrylic enamel with a clear coat finish. You can read up on how to cut down on dust (I cleaned the garage out first, then put a filter on the incoming air window with a fan blowing out the other window). A model A can be painted in sections making the job easier to handle. You can do the whole job for just a few hundred dollars, including the paint gun. The picture below is of my '41 project, I just painted the hood last week in that garage. I used a Chinese touch-up paint gun - cost about $60. $200 will cover the cost of paint, thinner, hardener and misc. for a single-color model A.

small paint.jpg
kawagumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 08:18 AM   #84
Oldbluoval

Have the CA air police not raided your garage?
Now that you’ve posted look out!
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 09:19 AM   #85
kawagumby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbluoval View Post
Have the CA air police not raided your garage?
Now that you’ve posted look out!

Hah! My neighbor just had his septic tank pumped...that threw 'em off the trail! Now, I need to drag the fake trees back around my garage to hide it again.
Old 05-01-2021, 11:01 AM   #86
ronn

birdman- how much flo trol to a quart of paint roughly?

10% 20% 30% etc.

thanks
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 11:45 AM   #87
ed thibodeau

I do not remember what it cost but I painted my 31 tudor with grey truck paint from
Tractor Supply. Its a little darker than Ford 8N tractor gray. Its been on 18 years
now and has held up good and still looks good. It got a ding in one of the doors a
few years ago and I touched it up with some of the paint I had left over and you
can not see it. Yes I drive the car a lot and I live on a gravel road.
ed thibodeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 01:07 PM   #88
kawagumby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Birdman View Post
I Also if the paint is put on heavy enough it can be wet sanded and polished. I believe early Rolls Royce cars were hand painted this way.

Prior to the genius of Charles Kettering and his lacquer spray paint (among his many achievements, such as inventing the automobile starter motor), I believe all cars were hand brushed multiple times with slow solvent-drying paints, just like the horse carriages were. It took days to dry with multiple coats, weeks overall. Yikes!
Old 05-01-2021, 03:45 PM   #89
Mister Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
birdman- how much flo trol to a quart of paint roughly?
I'll jump in - it depends. But far less than 20-30%. I'd start with a few tablespoons per quart and brush it out on a piece of scrap, (you know, the clean flat piece of scrap you sourced exactly for this task). You're looking for the minimum added to self level out the brush strokes and extend the wet edge time without being too thin and giving you sags and runs. The wet edge time is a function of how fast but accurately you can work and the sun/temp/humidity factor. If you lose the wet edge, the brush strokes will not flow into the partially dried section and the brush will drag as you stroke across it. We generally achieve about 1-2 minutes max on leaving an unattended wet edge. You can always just extend the edge a few brush strokes with fresh paint and then return to the detailed time consuming edge or curvy shapes or limited access spots.

It is a huge benefit to have a helper to stir the paint, add thinner or additives, fix mistakes, move paint and drop cloths, in short do everything else for you other than hold the brush. I've team painted a lot, 2 of us with brushes which can work great if you have a skilled friend.

You need a plan when brushing, where to paint first, where to paint fast (wide open spaces) and how to keep it all flowing as a wet line as you go across the panel.

Paint out of the sun if at all possible, but with the very best lighting you can arrange. If you have to paint in the sun, go for mid morning or late afternoon, never mid day.

Learn to look down into the paint at a low angle and view the surface of the paint film as you lay it on.

Better paints will cover better, flow better, and withstand UV better. You don't have to go to the most expensive paint, but the cheapest paint will certainly lack in those 3 important qualities.

Adhesion is more about prep, cleanliness, and primer than quality of paint in my experience. (Staying away from incompatible solvent paints over old coats here)

Start on easy, flat, small panels to start. Leave the harder ones for later once you've developed some skill and familiarity with the paint. Leave the hood louvers for last. Paint a single fender first.

As I said in a previous post, if this is your first time, paint your kids wagon first.
Mister Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 04:21 PM   #90
ronn

Thanks Moose. Painted houses for 20 yrs and very good with a brush, so am thinking very little flo trol. Going to hunter green the body of my old 29 rpu.

thanks for the info.
Old 05-01-2021, 04:49 PM   #91
ursus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
Thanks Moose. Painted houses for 20 yrs and very good with a brush, so am thinking very little flo trol. Going to hunter green the body of my old 29 rpu.

thanks for the info.
ronn, please note that Floetrol is for use with water-based latex paint and wouldn't be compatible with Rustoleum.
ursus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 07:37 PM   #92
Alaska Mike

Paint jobs are a lot like girlfriends and wives. If it's your's, I am sure you will think it is wonderful, and in polite conversation I will agree with you! But truth be told, it might not be that good....
Alaska Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 07:49 PM   #93
ronn

Re: Paint A Car With Rustoleum?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn

ronn, please note that Floetrol is for use with water-based latex paint and wouldn't be compatible with Rustoleum.

so now thoroughly confused as to why it would be brought up with the topic of Rustoleum?

only on the Barn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

thanks!
Old 05-03-2021, 07:00 AM   #94
77Birdman

I will clarify, I have NEVER painted a car with a brush and roller technique. I was trying to imply that IT COULD be done effectively. My experience with brush and roller is purely architectural. I used to do commercial work only on which one building may have 50 flat steel doors. My experience with that kind of painting was that indeed one can get a perfectly smooth surface with little effort that would rival a spray job. Yes mostly latex and when needed just a splash of additive. Would I want to paint a car this way, No, but I will say it can be done.

I have painted several cars at home with a decent gun settup with great success. I did spend a bit on the gun, probably $300. Its an Aiwata upper hobby level. Its perfect for all the more I use it which is not enough to justify twice as much for a pro settup. Its a world of difference between a good gun and a cheap HD special (which I use for primers and epoxy). I also have a nice regulator and dryer which cost as much as the gun. I have a good not great buffer, between that and the pads and compounds is another $200. The place I get my paint from is fairly inexpensive compared to 'name brand' stuff. The tools are the second biggest cost, so after the first job, the next few in line get cheaper.
Prep is first and the right tools are second, technique adds the third level for success.
I posted on another forum that its possible for someone to get a decent at home paint job for very little money. I got a lot of heat from a professional that was on there. I wasnt trying to take food off anybody's table and by no means pretend to know what Im doing, just stating my own experience for others.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:23 AM   #95
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Bobcat skid steer charcoal gray acrylic enamel,5 to 1 hardener.. shot it at home in improvised spray booth, paint was old stock at work. Like anything else, preparation is key. Actual spray technique is important as well, I did a light 'flash' coat,let it set for a few minutes then finished with a heavy coat.. I held a work light in one hand and the gun in the other to see what I was doing..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail - 2020-05-07T182240.917.jpg (73.8 KB, 16 views)
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote