Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-01-2021, 07:09 AM   #21
77Birdman

Default Re: Coast to Coast in a Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsieber View Post
I'm glad to see this conversation is still continuing for the trip!! I almost forgot about the post on here until someone commented on my YouTube channel... sorry! (Double Clutch King - Like and subscribe ahaha!) For anyone that would like to get in contact with me, you can either message me through the forum or by leaving a comment on YouTube! I'm just a little nervous about posting my email address online because of spam and such.

I remember somebody had asked why I was taking this trip, and there are two main reasons!

The first is because I'll be able to enjoy a 5-week long adventure with my friend and I know we are going to have an amazing time! The list of stops we have keeps growing and growing and as a young guy who has never been west of PA, I know I'll be in for a lifetime of memories! My friend has done a bit more traveling than I have (he has been west of PA ahaha), but this trip will be quite different in terms of experience than anything either of us has done!

The second reason for the trip is to help honor the goal of the car's previous owner! The gentleman I purchased the car from had originally intended to drive it cross country back almost 40 years ago, but as life went on, the trip never happened. After I got the car back on the road, I was telling this story to my friend's father and he suggested that I complete it on his behalf! Well, from that point one thing lead to another, and now that's what we intend on doing!

And for anyone wondering - the car is a 1930 Deluxe Town Sedan! The engine is currently being rebuilt and I am doing the transmission this coming week, so she should be good to go for July!

Thanks, everyone for your kind words!

-Nick
Nick I am indeed envious of you. Sounds like a wonderful trip and memories that will be made that will last forever. Just out of curiosity what general part of PA are you from? I am very familiar with the SE part of the state.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:04 PM   #22
Nsieber

77Birdman - I'm located just outside of Hershey! Very convenient for the car show lol!

Nick
Nsieber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:19 PM   #23
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
To worry or not to worry? That depends on the attitude of the driver, IMO. On one of those outback trips, one guy (in a Model A) took no spares and although he ran into trouble, he was able to get home. It all depends on one's confidence in their own abilities and those of the people you are travelling with.
I've always been curious, what do you take with you on your trips in terms of parts and tools?
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 04:58 PM   #24
McMimmcs

This will be an experience of a lifetime! When will you begin and will you post a daily progress report? Wayne
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 08:26 AM   #25
77Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsieber View Post
77Birdman - I'm located just outside of Hershey! Very convenient for the car show lol!

Nick
Thanks, Beautiful area, I spend a lot of time in Lancaster co. get north west a bit to Etown/Mt Joy occasionally.

Good luck on your journery. I too would be interested in a daily/weekly recap. Unfortunately I dont do facebook (only assume that would be a good place to post), however my wife is on it all of the time. IF you are going to do updates on there show a link, or whatever its called and Ill have her tune in.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 08:36 AM   #26
McMimmcs

like many other Ford Barners, I do not have Facebook and would appreciate either a post on the barn or a valid link we can access. Thanks
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 09:00 PM   #27
Synchro909

Talking Re: Coast to Coast in a Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
I've always been curious, what do you take with you on your trips in terms of parts and tools?
I don't carry much stuff at all, really and on our next trip, we will not be the only Model A so we'll share spares with the other one (brother in law). This will be the first time our car will have company.
When travelling as the only Model A, I take a fairly comprehensive set of tools. Spanners, screw drivers, pliers etc. I take points, condenser, coil distributor body, cap and rotor button, a water pump and a set of new engine bearing inserts. If I have bearing problems, I can change inserts on the side of the road so I carry enough oil to refill the sump afterwards and a filter. Bearing problems probably mean fragments of stuff I don't want in the oil. I carry some electrical wire, insulating tape, grease gun and oil can. There are of course tyre levers, pump and jack. There is a fan belt, head gasket, torque wrench and the special socket to get to the head nut under the distributor. A tube of high temperature silicone and a stick of epoxy putty go in and a spare fuel filter. I figure the silicone could have many uses including a temporary repair to manifold gaskets. Les Andrews' book is usually in there somewhere too. I pack a 12v LED work light but haven't needed it yet other than some light while we cook dinner!
I do not carry a timing gear (the engine has an aluminium one fitted only about 50,000 miles ago) nor do I carry a spare axle. That would mean a spring spreader as well and they are heavy.
Now we are down to the fiddley bits like a sachet of waterless hand cleaner, poly tarp, rags etc. The number of my parts supplier is in the phone and I know that in any decent sized town, there is a good chance that if I order before about 3pm, the parts could be there next morning - a couple of days at most.
Out in those areas, it is amazing how strangers will offer help with all sorts of problems (not that we have had to ask) so workshop facilities are likely to be available. For example, a Canadian friend touring in a Toyota van broke a tail shaft. He removed the parts and hitched a lift to the next town, only an hour and a half away, leaving his wife with the van. The odd job handy man in that town was busy so my friend went to the pub to wait. By the time the job was done, it was a bit late to expect anybody to take him back so next day, he hitched a lift back, refitted the tail shaft ad drove on. His wife says it was the most peaceful night's sleep she had had in ages!
So far, the worst things I have had happen are a broken fan belt (I knew when I left home that it was starting to delaminate), the Model A #3/#4 crossfire issue and the front bearing in a water pump. The first two took about 5 minutes each to fix and the water pump, not much more. (Did I say I carry potable water?)
Oh, I just remembered, there was something else. I had reinforced the wheel centres to stop them cracking where they rest against the brake drum but then, the next weakest link started to break. I was pulling the spokes off the rim. A friendly farmer offered the use of his shop so I took off the tyre and tube, drilled a 1/4" hole where the spoke should go, then plug welded it back in place, ground off the rough edges and reassembled. I am still running a couple of those wheels on one of my cars solo. I have since been able to find a a set of 16" wheels (quite rare here) which are stronger.
. I run 12 volts so any common electrical item is readily available at any roadhouse. All in all, I leave most of my workshop at home and while I have probably forgotten something, that is about it.

Last edited by Synchro909; 04-03-2021 at 04:40 AM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote