Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-11-2023, 03:40 AM   #41
KULTULZ

Arrow Re: New seal for PS ram.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer View Post

PS CYL BOOT KIT - C1AZ 3C651-A (NOS)

When I decode the number, is seems to be for a 1961 Mustang. Maybe I am reading it wrong.

C = 60's
1 = year
A = Ford full size
Z = Mustang
A - Chassis

My wife has a 1970 Cougar XR-7 with P/S and it came with a boot. I tried to put the boot on mine, but the end of cylinder is way too big for the boot collar. You may have better luck.
Go to the bottom of the sheet you posted. You are working with a SERVICE PN. The upper sheet text is describing an ENGINEERING PN.

First Four Characters (In This Instance) Is The PN PREFIX

C = 60 - DECADE SIXTIES
1 = YEAR of DECADE
A = FORD (In This Instance)
Z = ID's As A FORD SERVICE PN (Y = LINC/MERC)

3C651 = BASIC PN of Part Being Described

A = PN SUFFIX - Narrows Down Exact Part Application

The PN PREFIX Identifies The Year And Model The PN Was Released For Service. It May Cover More Years/Applications

The BOOT KIT for a 1970 COUGAR is C6OZ 3C651-A.

Last edited by KULTULZ; 12-11-2023 at 04:12 AM. Reason: THE USUAL
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 01:20 PM   #42
rjlester

Default Re: New seal for PS ram.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post

What year and model car are we working on, six or eight?

Your ILL shows 1953 FORD

My car is a 1954 Meteor, a Canadian version of the US 1954 Ford, but with a few changes. IE, the engine is a 255 flathead, dash is from a 1954 Mercury, the front suspension is still the kingpins (no ball joints).

So, whenever I look up parts online, I look up 53 Ford for the most part and have had success with that.
rjlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 01:31 PM   #43
KULTULZ

Red face Re: New seal for PS ram.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjlester View Post

My car is a 1954 Meteor, a Canadian version of the US 1954 Ford, but with a few changes. IE, the engine is a 255 flathead, dash is from a 1954 Mercury, the front suspension is still the kingpins (no ball joints).

So, whenever I look up parts online, I look up 53 Ford for the most part and have had success with that.
Sorry about that. ADVANCING CRS causes me to forget details ...

Are you planning to remove the 53 spindles (pins) and replace entirely with the 54 FORD suspension?

Have you ever looked or found a CANADIAN FORD CHASSIS or MPC CATALOG?

- MULTI-VEHICLE SYNTHETIC TRANSMISSION FLUID -

Multi-vehicle transmission fluids are becoming more and more popular in the marketplace. Oil marketers design these fluids for a wide range of automatic transmission types. While they are not licensed by any specific auto manufacturer ... ??? ... enough said ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
Old 12-11-2023, 01:40 PM   #44
rjlester

No problem.

I forgot to mention, that the 54 Canadian Fords also did not get ball joints, so I'm not replacing the suspension, only the steering linkages. It's a direct swap of steering components.

I do not have a Canadian 54 Meteor/Ford chassis and parts manual. Only been in the early 50s Fords since the spring of 2021 when I picked up this 54 Meteor. Didn't really think I needed one until I found a parts manual for my 57 Monarch last spring and realized how invaluable that manual is.
Old 12-11-2023, 01:49 PM   #45
KULTULZ

Quote:
... Realized how invaluable that manual is ...
amen brother ...

Multi-vehicle transmission fluids are becoming more and more popular in the marketplace. Oil marketers design these fluids for a wide range of automatic transmission types. While they are not licensed by any specific auto manufacturer ... ??? ... enough said ...

Old 12-13-2023, 01:42 PM   #46
rjlester

In a few days I will be installing this power steering setup. Question is, can the crank pulley be removed from my car without a puller as I have the rad in place? The parts car had the rad out so I had lots of room for a puller. Keep in mind these are flathead engines in the Canadian 1954 models.

Any tricks to removing the crank pulley with the rad in the way? It's been on there either since new (1954) or possibly when serviced before it was parked in 1966 as it does not leak oil from the front seal.

If I have to bite the bullet and pull the rad, I will do that but looking for any tips on doing it the "easy way" lol.
Old 12-13-2023, 02:22 PM   #47
KULTULZ

Quote:
Question is, can the crank pulley be removed from my car without a puller as I have the rad in place?
What does the WSM say?

The tool should be able to be used with the radiator in. I have no experience in flatheads so I don't know.

Old 12-13-2023, 03:36 PM   #48
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
In a few days I will be installing this power steering setup. Question is, can the crank pulley be removed from my car without a puller as I have the rad in place? The parts car had the rad out so I had lots of room for a puller. Keep in mind these are flathead engines in the Canadian 1954 models.

Any tricks to removing the crank pulley with the rad in the way? It's been on there either since new (1954) or possibly when serviced before it was parked in 1966 as it does not leak oil from the front seal.

If I have to bite the bullet and pull the rad, I will do that but looking for any tips on doing it the "easy way" lol.
Remember the question was: Question is, can the crank pulley be removed from my car without a puller as I have the rad in place?

The answer is probably yes, but I used a puller. The key was using a shorter bolt on the piuller. When I did mine, I didn't want to remove the radiator, so I took the time to see if I could actually remove the old pulley with the radiator in place.

I used an old Craftsman 5 1/2" puller. I replace the center bolt with a shorter bolt, to give me space between the crankshaft and the radiator. I also had to remove the bottom splash pan to give me access underneath the car. I additionally used pieces of 2X4 behind the pulley than gave me additional leverage. My pulley was on the car since the day it was built. But then I may have just gotten luck too.

Would I recommend it, NO, just take the time to pull the radiator, the additional access will be well worth the time and effort.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0002.jpg (34.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9999.jpg (42.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0003.jpg (43.1 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 12-13-2023 at 03:44 PM.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 05:16 PM   #49
rjlester

Yes, you are correct, probably simpler and much less painful to pull the rad. Good time to clean out the bottom of the rad anyway.

Thanks for your recommendation on this.
Old 12-13-2023, 06:10 PM   #50
Merc Cruzer

Good choice. Good opportunity to change the hoses, while you are there. Pictures if you have time.
Old 12-13-2023, 07:26 PM   #51
KULTULZ

Question Re: New seal for PS ram.

Uh, that is not the correct way to pull a harmonic balancer. Too much chance of damage. I am afraid to ask how you got it back on.

I thought he said with a puller with the radiator in the chassis. If the correct style puller is used there is no need to pull a radiator. It would kill flat-rate time unless the cooling system was due to be serviced also.

In your WSM, it should show the tool in use and a TOOL NO. Can you post a photo of that?

A correct style puller should be able to be borrowed from a box store.

Old 12-13-2023, 08:40 PM   #52
Merc Cruzer

KULTULZ,

You are correct, it is and was the incorrect way to pull the 2 belt pulley. it increased the risk of breaking the pulley. I could not get my hands on the "Tool - 6313-J", as show in the Mercury repair manual, or find one to buy. If someone has a picture of the tool, I would love to see it.

As to how I put the 3 belt pulley on the crankshaft. I lined the up the key on the crankshaft with the slot in the pulley, and put it on by hand as far as it would go. I then used a long socket and dead blow hammer to tap it on the rest of the way. I then installed the nut and torqued it to spec.

Prior post:
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...t=88038&page=2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9991.jpg (78.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7494.jpg (42.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7495.jpg (46.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7494 (3).jpg (29.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9993.jpg (71.1 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 12-13-2023 at 09:57 PM.
Old 12-14-2023, 02:26 AM   #53
KULTULZ

Red face Re: New seal for PS ram.

... hmmph ...

I was expecting a food fight and here I sit in my cover and a plastic sheet ...

I appreciate that info. Like I say, I never worked on one. My brother had a 53 FORD years ago but the first thing I wondered was how to sit a 390 in it.

I have some old FORD TOOL CATALOGS. Let me descend into 'COBWEB CORNER' and see what I can find. Does the WSM show a SPECIAL TOOL to press it back on? Beating one on can disturb the thrust bearing clearances if it uses one.

Like I say, I must have gotten a late start, no interest in much before 1957.

Old 12-14-2023, 09:32 AM   #54
Merc Cruzer

Actually there is no mention of any special tool for installing the crankshaft pulley, only the spacer. Tool # 6306-C. There is no picture.

The key is to first clean the shaft thoroughly, then put a light coat of grease on the shaft, then "tap it on" gently. Then torque the bolt to 45-55 ft lb.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9994.jpg (70.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9996.jpg (65.8 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 12-14-2023 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-14-2023, 09:35 AM   #55
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Yes, you are correct, probably simpler and much less painful to pull the rad. Good time to clean out the bottom of the rad anyway.

Thanks for your recommendation on this.
Just a question question. Did your PS system come with the 3 correct bolts, to mount the pump bracket to the head?

I also had to change out the steering arm from the "straight" to the "bent"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bolt sizes 3.jpg (80.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7489.jpg (52.3 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 12-14-2023 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-14-2023, 11:15 AM   #56
rjlester

Ok, I have some updates to give you guys.

Triple pulley has been installed. It's not actually a harmonic balancer on the flathead, just a pulley so you can (gently) use a puller. That being said, I first tried prying it off the snout with two screwdrivers/prybars (gently)... you guys know the drill. Just not enough room in there. I pulled the radiator. Put a three jaw puller on it, and USING MY HAND to turn the puller bolt, it came loose and then I pulled the pulley off by hand. I cannot believe how nicely this pulley came off, and I'm very thankful. The new pulley slipped on easily and seated perfectly without hammering. I believe this is partly because when the car was parked in 1966 by the original owners, it was not stored outside. I'm very fortunate to have this car.

Secondly, yes I do have to swap the pitman arm, and I have it from the donor car. Have not installed it yet on my Meteor. While the rad was out, I put water in it and shook out some gunk several times until it was clear. (radiator and hoses are new as of two years ago)

Regarding the bolts for the mounting bracket to the head ONE of the head bolts was longer (from the donor car), the other wasn't. I bought another longer bolt. This is crucial otherwise you will only get 3 or 4 threads if you use the original bolts to the head. The water pump bolt was also longer, with a spacer to go with it. You have a good memory Merc Cruzer! I know its been a while since you did your PS upgrade.

Car is buttoned up and I drove it for 15 minutes last night to ensure the cooling system was burped etc. Part of me thought: Why am I bothering with power steering, this car goes straight down the road, has a tight front end already? I shouldn't mess with it. Then I remembered all the road trips I took since I bought it, and it sure would have made for more comfortable trips and parking lot maneuvering.

My only problem right now is I'm waiting for bushings and a PS filter to show up from Rockauto. It's been more than two weeks and they have not shown up. We have a local courier company in my area that doesn't have a clue about rural addresses and they have messed up our deliveries on several occasions. These drivers are not from around here if you know what I mean. Yesterday I finally put in a request to Rockauto to find my packages. Normally I get their shipments in about 4 days, 6 tops. Had one of those couriers drive in my yard on Saturday. He pulled up in front of the house looked confused and drove out of my yard. He went into the neighbors place (nobody was home) and then left the neighborhood. I bet he had my shipment but had no idea what he was doing.

Another thing I figured out is I DO have a parts manual for a 54 Ford/Meteor, it's the Monarch I don't have one for. The mind is getting weak as I age lol. Found it late last night and did a facepalm. I'll take a good look at it tonight.

Kultulz, some day I would love to drop a 390 into a car like this! That would be a blast.
Old 12-14-2023, 12:11 PM   #57
Merc Cruzer

rjlester,

Thanks for the update. Looks like you have the installation under control. I am attaching picture of the list of alternatives for the filter. I have an O'Reilly's close by, and if they don't have something, they can get it with in a day.

I feel for you waiting for an ordered part. I am waiting for original door edge guards, coming from Vancouver, WA. I have been on the hunt for at least 4 years, and finally found them. 4 door cars not a problem, 2 door cars, defiantly a problem.

Looking forward to hearing what you think on your first test test drive. 90% of the steering I do with the "Nardy knob".

I find the system probably a bit of overkill, not much feel of the road. You can literley steer/park it, with one or two finges.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0022.jpg (26.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0023.jpg (33.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0024.jpg (23.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0025.jpg (30.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9995 (2).jpg (60.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9989.jpg (64.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 12-14-2023, 12:30 PM   #58
rjlester

Ya I could have bought the filter locally, but Rockauto was WAY cheaper even with shipping, and Rockauto was the only place with the bushings, also at a great price.

Where did you get that knob? Around here we call them speed wheels or suicide wheels lol. It's great that it's a Mercury specific knob, must be super rare. It looks great.

My 68 Cyclone has similar power steering, and as you describe, I find it too touchy. However, my 54 Skyliner Meteor has power steering, and I find it a bit better for roadfeel than the 68. Hopefully this car ends up the same, I really like it on the other 54. That car needs restoration, it's in storage until we find a new place to live that can accommodate my new hobby!! I love 50's Fords and will probably spend the rest of my life working on them. I enjoy the work as much as driving them.
Old 12-14-2023, 01:07 PM   #59
rjlester

Did some digging and the packages that were "missing" were in our mailbox which my wife had not checked in over a week. She normally gets the mail several times per week and has not done that recently.

So, apparently all three of my "missing" shipments are now on my workbench in the garage!!

They were transferred over to Canada Post instead of Intelcom all along. Stupid DHL tracking does not reflect this, I figured it out on my own.

Can I actually blame the wife this time? Lolol, she did apologize haha. I'm going to hold this against her forever now and it will be the family joke for the next few weeks.
Old 12-14-2023, 01:17 PM   #60
Merc Cruzer

As to the knob, found it on Ebay. As it tuned out, the top comes off and you could print any picture and put in the knob.

I guess the question now that you have power steering, will there be another video with your daughter driving the car? It seems only fair, the she gets a shot with new and improved steering! She did a great job the first time! I am still trying to get my daughter to drive mine and it is a Merc-O-Matic, and she know how to drive a stick.

By chance did the donor car have power brakes?

How about a picture of your 54', love to see the grill and dash.