Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-02-2015, 02:14 PM   #21
stokes.greg

Default Re: New member from Ontario Canada

Hello. What's all that white stuff on your car? We don't get much of that in Arkansas.
All stock and needs restored
stokes.greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 02:27 PM   #22
69torino

56 Fairlane, yes it was on Kijiji where I found it. The PO, Don is a great guy, knows these cars very well and has several more and a mass of parts.
Scicala, once it is ready for certification, the shop that will be doing it is also an engine shop . The founder of it still comes into work every day , well into his 70's. He will know which engine it is so I will rely on him as always. He built the 5.0 HO in my Torino.
Greg, that white stuff is simply known here as liquid gold as I live in the biggest winter recreation area in Ontario. To me, it is just hell on the driveway.
69torino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:47 AM   #23
56 Fairlane

I am glad it found a good home, those Meteors are getting scarce. I would like to get my hands on a 56 Crown but I need to win the lottery to get one.
56 Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:06 AM   #24
69torino

Where are you in Newfoundland ? I lived in St Johns Sept 77 to May 78.
2006 Freestyle SEL
Old 03-05-2015, 06:07 PM   #25
mercman from oz

Here is a picture of a 1956 Meteor Rideau Victoria from the original Sales Brochure which is in French. Unfortunately, my Sales Brochure doesn't show the Niagara Victoria. I believe that the Niagara Victoria was released partway through the model year, like the Customline Victoria was. You would need to refer to the Revised Sales Brochure for a picture of the Niagara Victoria. All 1956 Ford Products are good looking cars. You probably know, but our 1958 Fords in Australia had the side trim from the 1956 Meteor Rideau, but it appears that they didn't like the Grilles on the 56 Meteor, so substituted the 55 Meteor Grille. The finished product did look nice, even with the mixed year parts.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:08 PM   #26
56 Fairlane

Placentia, east side of the Avalon Peninsula.
56 Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:25 PM   #27
mercman from oz

Here are some pictures of the Australian 1958 Fords. These were officially known as Fordomatics, as they cam standard with the Fordomatic Transmission. There was also a Customline version offered, and these came with the standard three speed manual transmission. The upmarket Fordomatic had the additional thin chrome trim above the main side trim, where a second or third colour was added. Note that these cars have the same side and rear trim as the 56 Meteor, but are fitted with the 55 Meteor Grille. The Blue Ford is missing the Standard Over Riders on the Bumper.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:32 PM   #28
mercman from oz

Here is a picture of the regular 1958 Ford Customline. You can see that the thin chrome strips above the main chrome side trim is missing on this model. All 1958 Ford Customlines came with Manual Transmissions and were only available in Two Tone, not Three Tone that was optional on the 1958 Fordomatics. While you do see quite a few 58 Fordomatics, the 58 Customlines are very thin on the ground. All 58 Australian Fords came with the Dog Dish Hubcaps with a Gold Star in the centre, while the Fordomatics also got Chrome Wheel Trims that made it look like a Full Wheel Trim. No American based big Fords sold by Ford Australia got Full Wheel Covers until the 1965 Ford Galaxie.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:00 PM   #29
scicala

Interesting in the brochure (in French) that they referred to the transmission as a Merc-o-matic and not Ford-o-matic.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:40 AM   #30
darrell

69 torino sounds like you did some roaming in your day.what did you do.
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:44 PM   #31
69torino

I was a radio DJ in my younger days. I worked at CJON while living in St Johns NFLD which 56 Fairlane will be familiar with. At age 33 I left radio and got a tractor trailer drivers license which I did for the next 20 years . I have been driving a tilt n load tow truck for the past 6 years.
Can you fellas advise me on the differences between the Niagara and Rideau hardtops ?
2006 Freestyle SEL
Old 03-07-2015, 01:02 AM   #32
mercman from oz

Hi 69torino, I found this picture of a car that looks nearly identical to your 1956 Meteor Niagara Victoria? The low roof-lines on the 56 Ford and Meteor Victorias look just great. Ford should have had this roof-line on the 55 Fairlane Victorias.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:36 AM   #33
5851a

I agree that roofline would have been great on the 55's. They actually did in a way as it was on the 55 Crowns.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:41 AM   #34
69torino

I haven't seen any badging on it with Victoria, just Niagara ? I have that pic on my computer as well as this one from the same original poster. . Thanks for posting.
2006 Freestyle SEL
Old 03-08-2015, 02:54 PM   #35
Fortunateson

Now if someone could find me the rubber/plastic gasket for the trunk lock/trim I would be REALLY grateful!
Fortunateson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 04:47 PM   #36
mercman from oz

69torino, I believe that the difference between the Niagara and Rideau Victoria would be the same difference between the Customline and Fairlane Victoria of the same years. In both instances, the Rideau and the Fairlane were the top model in the range, while the more economical models were the Niagara and the Customline. In the USA, the Mainline was the Base model, but was never available as a 2 door hardtop. So, the main differences between these two models would be the Side Trim, as well as the Interior Trim. your Niagara would not be as fancy as the Rideau. As mentioned in an earlier Post, when the new 56 Fords and Meteors were released, you could only get the Victoria as a Fairlane or Rideau. Then, a few months after release, Ford decided to add the lower priced Victoria in the Customline and Niagara models as well. As a result, they would had had to revise the original Sales Brochure. Regards Mercman <><
Old 03-08-2015, 05:33 PM   #37
darrell

fortunateson im looking for that as well.thats the trouble with meteors all these special parts are gone and nowone is going to make them.
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:49 PM   #38
mercman from oz

Is this the Trim piece that you are after? This Trim was standard on all Australian 1958 Fords. You may be able to locate what you need in Australia?

http://www.cussobills.com/ford-custo...d-tbird-parts/

http://www.rubberconnection.com.au/

http://www.allamericanautoparts.com....ord/customline
Old 03-08-2015, 10:18 PM   #39
Fortunateson

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercman from oz View Post

Is this the Trim piece that you are after? This Trim was standard on all Australian 1958 Fords. You may be able to locate what you need in Australia?

http://www.cussobills.com/ford-custo...d-tbird-parts/

http://www.rubberconnection.com.au/

http://www.allamericanautoparts.com....ord/customline
Thanks for posting. What I need is that gasket that goes between what you posted and the trunk itself. I had a pretty good one I got when I got the car but it was folded in it's original box. When I un-folded it it became quite upset and cracked into a few pieces. I guess I'll have to make up something.

By the way all, there is a fellow in the states that makes up new plastic coat of arms that fit into the corresponding side bezel as well as the inserts that fit into the full wheel covers. $$$$$$$.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:22 PM   #40
Fortunateson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69torino View Post

I haven't been able to confirm if this is a 272 or 292 ?
That looks like the 2 barrel air cleaner to me. And being the lower Niagra line it stands to reason it would have the 272ci engine. Also it has the cross-over pipe for the exhaust that indicates the 272ci engine. However, ANY Meteor is a great car!