Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-15-2014, 11:18 AM   #81
RCM

Default Re: Here we go again...

It died after startup before the new coil. After intalling the new coil it kept running but poorly, but probably because its off tune / leak.
Its 12V negative ground. And it has a resistor.
Later I'll be able to check for leaks now that she runs.
Thanks George.
RCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 03:52 PM   #82
JeffB2

Some coils have the resistor built in to them if you use them with the resistor block on the firewall guess what? double resistance= low voltage. Testing time: http://www.wikihow.com/Test-an-Ignition-Coil

Last edited by JeffB2; 12-15-2014 at 03:58 PM.
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 04:41 AM   #83
RCM

Good info there.
The one I have needs an external resistor.
The car is going to the shop later, since I can drive her now.
Man, what a relief, yesterday night I arrived at home, went straight to her, turned the key and she fired good but again running poorly.
Lets see how it goes.
Thank you all.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:32 AM   #84
oj

Its good you found somebody with a distributor machine, I would go the extra effort to construct yourself a sparkplug rack, install your plugs into the rack, pull the distr, pull the coil and put your entire system on the machine and fix it. You don't want your car and engine being involved in that process. You need to isolate the ignition system and fix all the problems with it - with the distr machine you can have your distr spinning and fireing thru your coil to your sparkplugs thru your plug wires, your car isn't even involved it can be miles away.
On your other 1904 with the new needle & seat not sealing, there is a small sealing washer that seals the needle & seat assembly - the 1904 has a screw that threads inside the inlet fitting, it threads from outside the carb thru the float bowl body and into the assembly that holds the needle & seat, there is a little fibre washer that seals the float assembly to the wall. If this washer is left out the fuel will enter the bowl with the needle & seat closed (satisfied).
Unless you are very familiar with these 1904s it is easy to leave that washer out.
oj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 05:05 AM   #85
RCM

That washer was left out when I got the carb overhauled in June or so. I got it fixed thru help given here (cant recall by who). Eventough the carb still flooded with the new needle assy. Bad seat? dont know.

But I have additional news that come down to two words: bad + sparkplugs.
Happens that two of my "new" ngks got bad, with spark jumpin allover the inside of the plug (bad insulators?) and not foccusing on the electrode.
Did I check it? yes, all seemed to be good when grounded and engine cranking. But on the stand with all being tested, my friend called me and just pointed this.
Sparkplugs were ususpected, since they have little more than a months service.
Also have a new coil installed and new condenser.
Finally when all this was settled, timing was checked and found to be a little off.
Today she's getting tuned and hopefully I'll drive her home later.
Thanks guys. I hope this tail chasing ordeal serves to someone in the future.
Regards.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:50 AM   #86
54vicky

hopefully it is solved glad you changed the plugs.over the years I have found new does not mean they are perfect and like you last thing that gets checked.I did not mean to sound mean when I said to change them in last post.I suggested that in an early post when your problem started.one thing is that now you have learned a lot about other things that may one day come in handy.happy motoring and merry Christmas Barry
54vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:14 AM   #87
RCM

Spot on on every word Barry. I'm still not out of trouble. Only when I drive her home will I be satisfied, but yesterday night she got back to sound the six I'm familiar with again.
Thanks for all the help and Merry Christmas.