Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-27-2021, 08:09 PM   #1
Charlie ny
BANNED

Default '39 - '48 Master Cyl...rear hyds on a '32

Anybody got a loose '39 - '48 mast cyl they could measure the stroke for me ? And the '32 rear axle in my p'up causes the '40 backing plates to be rotated which in turn places the wheel cylinders at an angle, I'm concerned that some air might be trapped in the lower portion of the rear cylinders. Is there a way to bleed the rears or is this maybe me thinking
too much.

Thanks,
Charlie ny

Last edited by Charlie ny; 05-28-2021 at 06:15 AM. Reason: added yr of mc and brake bleeding
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 06:34 AM   #2
glennpm

Default Re: '39 - '48 Master Cyl...rear hyds on a '32

Hi Charlie,

I just measured an old 39 master I have. I put it in the vice and measure a 1-1/4" stroke.
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 07:20 AM   #3
glennpm

Regarding the air pocket you will have with a non-horizontal wheel cylinder, I don't believe you will have a problem if you do a proper brake bleeding. The small amount of air will be absorbed into the high pressure brake fluid, think carbonated drinks.

Pump the master cylinder increasing the fluid pressure and then bleed. You'll get most of the air entrained fluid out. I like to keep a newly bled system pressurized over night by blocking between the front seat and the brake pedal; and then if spongy, i.e. air is in the system, bleed it and re-bleed.

The bleed valve in the picture below will be in the same circle as the brake line but is hidden.

glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 10:48 AM   #4
Andy

I have a steep entrance to my garage. I always used it to get the cylinders more horizontal. I never tried it level!
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 04:14 PM   #5
Ideucev8

Hi Charlie,
Yes you will have trouble getting the air out of the rear wheel cylinders. I have had trouble with bleeding the rear brakes on two 32s & some 34s with rotated backing plates. I could not get a good pedal after pressure bleeding or reverse bleeding. If the brakes are assembled if you could jack the rear up high enough to get the cylinder level, that would work or maybe with the vehicle facing down a incline. What I do now when assembling these brakes is to carefully remove the front piston & cup tilting it so there is a slight gape at the top to let the air out. You could also unbolt the backing plate & twist it level to bleed the brakes then reassemble.

Phil.
Ideucev8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 09:33 AM   #6
deuce_roadster

If the backing plates will rotate on the housing enough you could mark them and re-drill the holes. Since they need to be bled anyway if you re-drilled another pair, you could probably swap them in a day, maybe 2 if you need longer brake lines.
deuce_roadster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 10:38 AM   #7
Charlie ny
BANNED

Thanks guys....I jacked the butt of my '32 up to almost get the backing plates horiz,
I did get a couple pfft's out of each cylinder. It's hard to believe that made a difference but it did. Went around al 4 corners again, very nice solid pedal 1/3 down. Now on to the vibration at 50 - 60 mph.....if it's not this it's that....if not that it's this....all something.
Mucho appreciato.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 11:48 AM   #8
Andy

On modern cars, the wheel cylinders are alway are fully compressed and the adjustment spreads the bottom of the shoes. With the early brakes with the adjustment at the sides, the wheel cylinders expand. Turning the side adjusters all the way in would help get the air out. Readjusting the brakes would be a pain.
I thought about redrilling the plates. I decided it would not work due to interference with the spring mounts.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 12:05 PM   #9
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie ny View Post
Thanks guys....I jacked the butt of my '32 up to almost get the backing plates horiz,
I did get a couple pfft's out of each cylinder. It's hard to believe that made a difference but it did.
Charlie ny
This should serve to convince folks that even a LITTLE bit of remaining air AIN'T "GOOD ENOUGH"! DD
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote