Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-11-2021, 05:24 AM   #1
flatmotor40

Default dist cap problems again

Well we are having the same trouble this year with moisture in cap in my 59a with frt mount 2 bolt electronic dist cap Moisture get in it if it is a least bit cool an humid.But took cap off and noticed the coil hole in cap had no metal connector in it.Is that normal.Always keep a spare in the glove box for this reason.To change in a parking lot if it spits and sputters and quits.Went to get some BBQ last week and it started to slowly start to die but it caught up and got me home.I have an electric fan I wonder if it blows cold air on the cap and causes the moisture in cap.I know I beat this dead horse down but Thanks
flatmotor40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:29 AM   #2
Tim Ayers

Default Re: dist cap problems again

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatmotor40 View Post
Well we are having the same trouble this year with moisture in cap in my 59a with frt mount 2 bolt electronic dist cap Moisture get in it if it is a least bit cool an humid.But took cap off and noticed the coil hole in cap had no metal connector in it.Is that normal.Always keep a spare in the glove box for this reason.To change in a parking lot if it spits and sputters and quits.Went to get some BBQ last week and it started to slowly start to die but it caught up and got me home.I have an electric fan I wonder if it blows cold air on the cap and causes the moisture in cap.I know I beat this dead horse down but Thanks
I think I recall Bubba saying to spray the inside of the cap with WD40 to prevent moisture issues.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:31 AM   #3
flatjack9

It may not be related, but I had trouble with mine at first. I opened up the plug gap because it seemed like the thing to do do. WRONG. I had constant problems. Went back to .025 plug gap and haven't had a problem in years. The extra voltage caused by the wider gaps stressed the caps causing minute cracks which allowed the moisture in.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 05:18 AM   #4
flatmotor40

I have sprayed with wd40 and it helps for a while but when it is humid it gets worse.Thought about going to a 8b dist on the 46 engine in the car.It is just a mess to begin with.
Old 05-12-2021, 06:22 AM   #5
Charlie ny
BANNED

fm,
Is the dinky cork gasket in place between the cap and aluminum housing and/ or
have you considered the '46 - '48 rabbit ear 2 pc cap....it's an ugly pita but Ford
switched from the crab, maybe this is why
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 07:21 AM   #6
Bored&Stroked

I wonder if a 'breather hole' might help? Just thinking out loud - as I look at my bench and at the 4 Harman Collins dual coils that I'm working on. LOL. Now the minute one adds a hole, this becomes a place for water to get in . . . but I wonder if there is a way to allow moisture to effectively either not form, or more easily get out? Any thoughts gang?
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:38 AM   #7
Bill OH

My father had a 47 Ford truck with a 59AB equipped with a rabbit ear cap. Moisture was a problem. I have used the helmet distributor on three 38 Fords and I could run a garden hose on the distributor or have it soaked with rain (hood sides off) and it always started - no problems. No boots on the plugs either.
Bill OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 10:29 AM   #8
BUBBAS IGNITION

WD 40 is the answer , use a ton of it cant use too much , inside and out .....
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 11:57 AM   #9
glennpm

WD40 is good for getting rid of the moisture that's accumulated in the cap. The WD40 is a temporary fix only.

You need to drill a couple of small vent holes 180° apart and when the rotor spins the inside air with ozone generated will be expelled. Its the ozone that affects the contacts.

I'd drill the holes on an angle further down on the outside of the cap and higher up on the inside. This could help in letting water inside. Maybe a small short length hose inserted in drilled holes would help inward migration too.
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 01:27 PM   #10
Kurt in NJ

The 46 I had with the original caps, all the cork seals and boots never had moisture problems and even with off roading it through deep puddles that coated the engine with mud, it's all in the details
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 04:37 PM   #11
flatjack9

I've been running a "crab" distributor in my 39 for 25 years. Got over 60,000 miles on it and after going to the .025 plug gap to keep the cap from developing small cracks, Have never had a moisture problem and I've been caught in some bad rain storms.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 05:20 AM   #12
flatmotor40

Thanks I've sprayed with WD 40 a few times a year.This is a Mallory electronic.And it get moisture in it with gasket on or off.Will try the drill but 1 more question is the other cap I keep for roadside repair it has no brass contact in the cap where the coil wire goes or it came out sometime.Just looked at it the other day and was going to put some dielectric grease in the holes for the wires and seen no brass contact.
Old 05-13-2021, 07:21 AM   #13
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Thanks I've sprayed with WD 40 a few times a year.This is a Mallory electronic.And it get moisture in it with gasket on or off.Will try the drill but 1 more question is the other cap I keep for roadside repair it has no brass contact in the cap where the coil wire goes or it came out sometime.Just looked at it the other day and was going to put some dielectric grease in the holes for the wires and seen no brass contact.
Are you sure they aren't just patinaed over? Sometimes brass turns pretty dark when oxidized.
Old 05-13-2021, 07:28 AM   #14
51 MERC-CT

Use something like a gun cleaning wire brush to clean the wire receptacles on the cap, especially the side walls, that's where the contact is made.
Old 05-13-2021, 01:12 PM   #15
drolston

Quote:
If the coil wire was not seated in the cap far enough for good brass to brass contact, the spark will jump inside and darken the brass inside the cap. I discovered that effect during the ignition nightmare I had this past winter. That can happen if you use 9mm wire instead of 7mm, or have boots that make it hard to be sure if you have the wire fully inserted, or not.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:20 AM   #16
flatmotor40

Thanks I'll look at it today but I keep a spare in glove box all the time.I hate to keep asking this but it is a real pain in the butt.
Old 05-14-2021, 08:56 AM   #17
Tim Ayers

May want to get a can of DeoxIt. I use in vintage guitar amps and equipment. It will clean off the oxidation and brighten up the brass contacts. It's the best stuff I've found.

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-D5S-6-De.../dp/B00006LVEU
Old 05-14-2021, 08:57 AM   #18
glennpm

Great tip Tim on the DeoxIt
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 12:30 PM   #19
BUBBAS IGNITION

aS A FORMER AUTOMOTIVE HOTLINE OWNER , (LINDER TECHNICAL SERVICES ) LETS TAKE A LOOK AT THIS !!

He said : ( got to really really listen)

key words here ?
Same trouble
electronic distributor ( mallory)
no metal connector ( needs some kind of connector )
electric fan ( high amp draw 12 volt )

Now pulling those words out of statement , we would ask ????????
Is the cap a mallory unit ( china made at best ??) no metal contacc in cap at coil , when it fails do you have spark at coil wire ? Have you took a real good look at coil wire ( omhed for circuit) and connections ???
Look at ignition voltage when electric fan comes on is it still stable ????
Then when all is confirmed etc spray units with wd40 ......

always glad to help
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 12:44 PM   #20
tubman

..and then get yourself a proper points distributor.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote