Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-09-2021, 12:12 PM   #61
Kilohertz

Default Re: Let's start a junkyard fuel injection discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Henry View Post
If you decide to pick up a Megasquirt ECU it can definitely alternate injector firing between the two circuits. I had mine set up that way at first but it didn't work well due to my single plane manifold I think, with one injector closer to the rear cylinders and one closer to the front. Can you use a WB O2 input into the GM ECM?
If I can find a Megasquirt at a reasonable price I would certainly try it, I have wanted to for a few years. I was going to fuel inject one of my dune buggies, was going to build an old D or L Jetronic system but just never got around to it. I have all the parts and good FI engine cores.

I'm not sure about wide band O2 on the GM ECM? I am still searching for how to program the darn thing. I can find lots of BIN files with mods that have been done by others, but just not the logic or program that translates the binary into something like, "add more fuel at this RPM and vacuum" etc. I'll figure it out eventually.

I am currently building a WIN95 or 98 machine, boy that's fun, so I can run my old DOS based EPROM programmer. Sure glad I kept all my old Windows software...once a nerd, always a nerd. The hardest part is finding a 486 machine...ha ha.

Cheers
Old 03-09-2021, 03:10 PM   #62
HotRodmicky

You can get a 8x8 Ecu for around $300 from Australia if you want to go full sequentiell
Just weld some injectors bungs in a manifold , crank and cam sensor , and use COP or coil packs and try it.
Lots of fun , but will it be worth it ?
Good question....
HotRodmicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 09:47 AM   #63
Ken Henry

I decided to clean up my EFI installation a bit and converted to these ignition coils from a Cadillac northstar engine. The coil pack has a built in ignition module which I bypassed, so they're controlled by the Ford EDIS system. The spark plugs are run through plastic tubes and wrapped in 'ClassicBraid' split wire looms. A nice benefit of the coils is that they use standard HEI style terminals rather than the oddball two-piece EDIS ones...

F42DB928-8DFA-4DFA-8AD3-B8264D05CF0A by kenhenry_06268, on Flickr
Ken Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 11:21 AM   #64
markdtn

That setup is very nice! I have thought about this and I would have done it like Bubba suggested-TBI with 4.3 GM ECM and small-cap Chevy distributor converted to flathead. But going Ford EDIS is next level. I am just finishing a 5.0 Explorer swap into a '66 Mustang using the coil packs and all (not converting to Mustang computer and distributor). Not many people go this way as it is hard to find someone who can program the computer.
markdtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 11:55 AM   #65
cmbrucew

https://www.motec.com.au/m800/m800overview/
You guys might consider this.
Bruce
Old 03-17-2021, 01:19 PM   #66
mrtexas

I installed a FITech unit on my 41 flathead. Didn't try very hard but couldn't get it to work. It ran WOT all the time. Must have been a vacuum leak...
Old 03-18-2021, 09:23 AM   #67
big job

My thought bottom line: Think I'll take a ride for some milk in my 23 touring. Well come out of driveway and WHOOHO a 23 touring car across the street gas station getting a inspection sticker I turn around got behind him. Very nice 'nice as mine'. Middle age guy proud of his ""modern"" electronic distributor? foolishness: Now his turn for the sticker. No start nothing? I say I got a screwdriver in my toolbox. Huh? I say I have four coils no nonsense even If one goes bad got 3 more coils get ya home.
So he didn't a sticker but got a flat bed! Thats what one is up against Injection and computers can not be fixed results you are done, so no thank you. My V8 starts on a dime with out a choke in the coldest temps, and its 6volts too.
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 06:45 PM   #68
Pete

Many have tried and a few have succeeded in making a mechanical fuel injection work on the street with no flat spots. When it works, the throttle reaponse is like nothing you have ever driven.
I have done 2 flatheads, one 296 with an original flat base Hilborn right out of the box and the other using an adapted 2.5 inch BBC unit on a 352 ci engine.
On both I had to make new barrel valve shafts with curves I arrived at by cut and try.
I am all for electronic injection but just sayin' the old stuff can be made to work also.
Costwise probably about the same with used parts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hilborn3.jpg (15.5 KB, 65 views)
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 11:29 AM   #69
Kilohertz

After a crazy busy stressful summer dealing with wildfire threats, work etc., I am getting ready to continue the FI system for the flathead.

I finally found a 2.8L throttle body which has 1 3/8" bores that match the Fenton 4bbl bores. I came up with an idea to use the 4bbl manifold, by rotating the throttle body 45* to match up the left front/right rear holes of the manifold. The bore spacing of the TB is only about 1/8" wider than the diagonal bores of the manifold so very little machining will be required, and the TB mounting holes will be out of the way of the 4 square bolts of the manifold. I would remove that Holley 4bbl adapter and build my own to match up the bores and mounting bolts required, and cover up the other two unused intake bores.

I also have made tremendous progress on the software side of things. I'm using the 1990 GM TBI system and have TunerPro software which allows real world data manipulation of all parameters, fuel, spark etc. and then programs that into a BIN file which I can then burn into the PROM, which pops back into the ECM. I found some EEPROMS which are reusable chips that can be erased in seconds and programmed the same.

I'm still busy at work but have all of this in place for when the snow flies and work slows down.

What do you think about mounting the TB rotated like I describe? I don't see why it wouldn't work. Each plane of the manifold is isolated from left to right. The gasket I used in the picture is from the larger 4.3 TB, the 2.8L has smaller bores.

Looking forward to getting this running this winter.

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0418.jpg (90.8 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0417.jpg (86.0 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0415.jpg (98.7 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by Kilohertz; 11-04-2021 at 11:09 PM.
Kilohertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 07:36 AM   #70
Ken Henry

I think that would work if you go with some kind of throttle cable. Do you have wideband O2 sensor to help with tuning?
Old 10-18-2021, 09:33 AM   #71
Kilohertz

Thanks Ken,

I bought an Innovate LC-2 to tune my BMW bikes this year but haven't opened it yet. I think it is wide band but will confirm.

Cheers
Old 11-16-2021, 08:28 PM   #72
Kilohertz

A quick update on my progress with the GM TBI injection project.

I picked up a scrap piece of 1/2" aluminum from the local machine shop, bought a Rota-Broach set and got to work laying out the adapter plate to mate the 2.8L throttle body to the Fenton 4bbl manifold, paper tracings, center punch, straight edge and a little patience and I have it built, just need the proper countersink bit for the 4 holes to mount to the manifold and thread the holes for the TB and trim the excess material and it's ready to install. I'm going to just hang the computer on the firewall for now, connect the sensors and try it just programmed as is for a 305, fine tuning can come later.

I'll keep you updated as I make progress.

Cheers

PS Ken, yes LC-2 is a wide band O2 controller.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1029s.jpg (99.9 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1032s.jpg (76.5 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by Kilohertz; 11-16-2021 at 10:12 PM.
Kilohertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 06:49 PM   #73
Ken Henry

Interesting, I’m not familiar with the Rota-broach. Seems handy! I think there was another guy on here who was using the GM TBI computer and posted a running setup 4-6 months ago. Will look ok to see if I can find it…
Old 11-17-2021, 07:31 PM   #74
tubman

"Rota-Broaches" while kind of expensive, are very handy for stuff like this for those of us without milling machines. I use them a lot in making my condensers. You will need an arbor, and then you can use a variety of sizes of cutters.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RotaBroach.jpg (6.8 KB, 13 views)
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 11:04 PM   #75
Kilohertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
"Rota-Broaches" while kind of expensive, are very handy for stuff like this for those of us without milling machines. I use them a lot in making my condensers. You will need an arbor, and then you can use a variety of sizes of cutters.

I bought the large set. 11091 I think, it was $250 cdn on Amazon...works as slick as can be...I drilled those 1.375" holes in less than 30 seconds each...very slick. And a beautiful finish as well, very smooth.

Drilled and tapped the TBI body holes today and will cut off the excess material tomorrow....EFI, here we come.

Cheers
Old 11-18-2021, 01:17 AM   #76
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Henry View Post
Interesting, I’m not familiar with the Rota-broach. Seems handy! I think there was another guy on here who was using the GM TBI computer and posted a running setup 4-6 months ago. Will look ok to see if I can find it…

Quite likely this thread in the link BELOW! DD

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...fuel+injection

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 11:53 AM   #77
Kilohertz

I finished making the adapter plate and custom gasket for it and can now proceed with mounting the 4 bbl manifold and throttle body.

It's interesting to note that I used more woodworking tools than metal tools to make this plate. The drill press for the holes and my compound sliding miter saw with carbide blade to cut the outside dimensions, and a router with the roller bearing 45* cutter to radius the edges, both worked amazingly well on the aluminum, cool.

More later....

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1150s.jpg (71.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1152s.jpg (95.5 KB, 38 views)
Old 11-22-2021, 10:18 PM   #78
Scotty's 52 F3

Very cool. Great job improvising. Looking forward to seeing this run.
Scott
Scotty's 52 F3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 10:58 AM   #79
Kilohertz

SUCCESS!!

I have been working on the GM TBI system as much as I can in the past month and have made some terrific progress. I machined the adapter plate for the throttle body, then polished it and mounted it on the engine. I have figured out the harness and for testing purposes have just hung it on the firewall. I am using the stock Chevy 305 ECM just to try my ideas before I start reprogramming the internal EPROM. I bought an external fuel pump that will meet the TB requirements as I didn't want to fill the new tank with gas until I finish the fill pipe fabrication. I also had to machine another GM distributor as the TBI system uses a module and inductive pickup in the distributor. I will detail the ECM minimum requirements later, but for now....a video is worth 1,000 words.

More later.

Cheers

The video link

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pfm21cuj7t..._1356.mov?dl=0
Old 12-10-2021, 11:38 AM   #80
tubman

That's more than a good start! Excellent job!

Lots of wires, though; looks like a bunch of them aren't being used, correct?
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote