Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-17-2015, 07:24 PM   #1
19Fordy

Default Torque tube/ banjo oil seal install

How would you shorten a 1940 FORD torque tube by 1/8 inch? I want to shorten it at the end that bolts to the banjo. The reason I want to shorten it is to compensate for the added 1/8 in. thick flange (on the part shown below) as I am worried that the added 1/8 inch will make it difficult to reattach the rear radius rods to their respective attachment points on the rear. I am also concerned that the added 1/8 in. will make the torque tube move forward, causing transmision problems. Or, would it be better to cut and reweld the rear radius rods? http://brucesrodshop.myshopify.com/p...ube-seal-plate Or, maybe I am over thinking this and there is a better way. Your thoughts are appreciated. Plus, let me know if you have an extra 40 Ford torque tube you don't need. Thanks, JIM
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 07:46 PM   #2
Andy

Default Re: Torque tube/ banjo oil seal install

Does that ride on the coupling?
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 07:50 PM   #3
V12Bill

Why not check with Bruce's Hot Rod Shop?
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:14 PM   #4
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12Bill View Post
Why not check with Bruce's Hot Rod Shop?
That's the same thing I was thinking. He must have some assembly instructions that came with the seal.

another thought.....the flange that's welded on the end of the torque tube may have enough thickness to allow some material removal by turning or grinding, and the mounting holes on the end of the wishbones could be elongated slightly as well.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:15 PM   #5
Karl Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
How would you shorten a 1940 FORD torque tube by 1/8 inch? I want to shorten it at the end that bolts to the banjo. The reason I want to shorten it is to compensate for the added 1/8 in. thick flange (on the part shown below) as I am worried that the added 1/8 inch will make it difficult to reattach the rear radius rods to their respective attachment points on the rear. I am also concerned that the added 1/8 in. will make the torque tube move forward, causing transmision problems. Or, would it be better to cut and reweld the rear radius rods? http://brucesrodshop.myshopify.com/p...ube-seal-plate Or, maybe I am over thinking this and there is a better way. Your thoughts are appreciated. Plus, let me know if you have an extra 40 Ford torque tube you don't need. Thanks, JIM
Trying to install the radius rods with the added 1/8" will bend the axle housing at the bells, and will give you toe-in at the rear wheels. My first choice would be to move the mounting pad for the radius rods back your 1/8". This pad could be welded last,with every thing else assembled, should be real easy.

Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 01:55 AM   #6
Lawrie

Why do you need the seal in there.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 05:32 AM   #7
Terry,OH

There is no need to shorten the torque tube for only 1/8" . I have Bruce's seal in my car with no problems. Rear radius rods attachment are in the same place and reattached without any problem. no force was needed. Do give the speed shop a call.
Yes the seal does ride on the coupling. Make sure the coupling OD is smooth, so as not to tear up the seal.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 09:30 AM   #8
19Fordy

Thank you all for the helpful responses.
Yes, it's time to make the call .
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote