Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-29-2015, 06:09 PM   #1
fmedina

Default 1935 Ford front fender - running board alignment

Hello, everybody. I guess if someone can help me with this.
I
’m repairing the body of my 35 Ford Phaeton, my car was bad repaired on previous works done to kept it on the road, so on many parts of the body were modified and now we don’t have reference of how an original body should be, Although I also have a 1935 Fordor that is mostly original, it have some dents on the front fender and also I can’t get an idea of how the front fender align with the running boards.
On my car the front fender seems to be wider than the running boards. I’ll try to explain. Running boards and front fender have the same wide where they are joined, but if you move to the front of the car, the front fender seems to be increasing in width gradually. On the photo attached is not noticeable what I’m saying, it will be necessary a photo taken from the rear of the car, parallel to the running board.

Can anybody send me pictures of this detail’ to see how it should be? Also drawings of the car (aerial view) were you can see it could be fine.
Best regards,
Fredys Medina
fmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:11 AM   #2
jfcrash

Default Re: 1935 Ford front fender - running board alignment

Hi Fredys,

Here are three measurements taken from the frame to the outer edge of the fender on my phaeton.. moving from the running board to the front of the fender…..

From the point where the fender meets the running board, they are both 13 ¼ inch from the frame

At the wheel opening, its 16 ½ inch from the frame. There is also a fender bracket mounted here between the frame and the fender holding it out to the 16 ½ inches.

At the front end of the wheel opening, the fender is 19 inches from the frame.

Hopes this helps

Jim

I couldn't repair the brakes, so I adjusted the horn louder....
jfcrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:45 AM   #3
Karl Wescott

First, check the frame. As the running board mounts directly to it issues there can cause running board and fender misalignment.

Second, check the width of the body at the lower cowl. If cowl patches or firewall changes have left the body too wide or narrow this could cause issues.

Third, you look to have a huge alignment problem with the bottom of the front door to the center post. Something is going on here that is not right and it could very well be related to the fender/running board issue.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 10:22 AM   #4
rockfla

Fmidina

I can tell you (from working on our 35) we loosened all the fasteners from front to rear (after we checked frame for straight and square and with the weight of the car on the wheels). Then we took a piece of angle steel and clamped the rear fender, running board and front fender (Front to Rear) for relative straightness. We then started from the center of the car and worked outward (making fine adjustments as needed) all the way up to the grill and rear fenders. In our case, being a Custom Coach built German Ford, we had to make a couple of cuts in both front and rear fenders, make new mounting templates to match the running board and fill in a little on both fenders to match up to the front and rear face of the running boards.
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 05:48 PM   #5
fmedina

Many thanks for your help and advice.
I was trying to find a photo where I can explain what I was asking but I could find a good example.
I try to explain on this photo. I draw a red line parallel to the running board, but when the front fender joints the running board, they start to be wider, like the yellow line.

I thought that the car should have a straight line front to rear, and so when we try to align the fenders with the running board we realized that this was not true. The front fender wide is also given for the front fender brace.

Also I can’t take better photos of my car now because I have been working on the fender out of the car, sandblasting and applying epoxy primer

I was triying to find a digram of the car similar to this but on aerial view

Best regards,

Fredys Medina
fmedina is offline   Reply With Quote