Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-04-2014, 04:58 PM   #1
Jeff M

Default Front crossmember bolt hole

How important is the fitment of the tie bolt in this square hole? My crossmember bolt hole isn't perfectly square so the bolt has some space around it. Once in place wouldn't the wishbone keep the spring and axle from shifting? I figured the spring fits in the crossmember fairly tight too.
Jeff M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:07 PM   #2
SeaSlugs

Default Re: Front crossmember bolt hole

well yes and no... are we talking like 1/8" or less of play or are we talking a half dollar sized rusty hole...

ideally you would want it tight (not press in with 30 ton press tight but snug) as your spring clamps are what hold it to the frame. The bolt head would prevent the spring from wanting to shift sideways (slide towards the pass or drivers side) and in theory could throw off your alignment if its not tight.

There have been several people saying their car leans left or right when parked and no-one in it, usually they are asked if the spring pack bolt head is centered in the crossmember hole and the spring to frame clamps are equally tight. So it can make a difference in physical appearance.

The wishbone is a pivot point of all axis' hence the ball shape. It merely keeps the front axle from flopping backwards under the car and keeping the axle from twisting when you go around a turn/hit a pothole/etc. it also allows the front axle to rotate so one wheel can go over a bump while other goes in a dip. Thus when the wishbone ball is worn out the car can shimmy or lurch around going over bumps/dips. It doesn't keep the leaf spring from sliding sideways in the crosmember pocket.

The spring fits in the pocket but not very tightly. You want some wiggle room so to speak between the leaf pack and cross member to allow it to flex and bend without rubbing or hanging up. You would think the forces would compress the spring directly up when going over a bump but in reality its on a very slight arc due to the wishbone ball being stationary. (think of the side view of the car, the wishbone ball doesnt move but the front axle does)

probably way too much info but maybe someones light-bulb will kick on

Last edited by SeaSlugs; 06-04-2014 at 08:22 PM.
SeaSlugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:59 PM   #3
Jeff M

Here is a pic of the hole.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (19.6 KB, 32 views)
Old 06-05-2014, 12:36 AM   #4
Brentwood Bob

do you have a rough dimension? The bottom of the wishbone needs to bridge this hole. This can be welded up to repair it. Much easier than replacing the front cross member. Bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:55 AM   #5
Jeff M

I can get some. I'm just not sure what the best way to tackle it is. Weld it up and re-drill or try to save it?
Old 06-05-2014, 02:03 AM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

I agree with Bob. I'd also like to see dimensions, but from what I see in your picture, I'd hold a copper plate on the bottom side of the hole and weld the hole in to the correct size. Hold the copper in place with a bottle jack.

Years ago I worked on a frame that had NO hole for the spring bolt. I had to find exact center and drill a hole, then file the 4 corners.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:31 AM   #7
Charles Reese

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSlugs View Post
There have been several people saying their car leans left or right when parked and no-one in it, usually they are asked if the spring pack bolt head is centered in the crossmember hole and the spring to frame clamps are equally tight.
1. so, is there a torque value on these nuts?
2. dont mean to hijack this thread, but how critical is the tightness of the spring leaf tie bolt/nut itself (seems the spring frame clamps take most of the compression pressure?)
Charles Reese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:04 PM   #8
Brentwood Bob

Got this confused with the wishbone hole, but same advice applies. you want a snug fit and the only way to do it is to weld up this jagged hole and file it into shape.
Bob
Old 06-05-2014, 01:59 PM   #9
Jeff M

Thanks, I started to weld it shut but my grinder died. Ill grab one tomorrow and finish up. It doesn't sound fun hand filing hard MIG welds.

Jeff
Old 06-05-2014, 03:09 PM   #10
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff M View Post
Thanks, I started to weld it shut but my grinder died. Ill grab one tomorrow and finish up. It doesn't sound fun hand filing hard MIG welds.

Jeff
If you have a Dremel tool or one like it that you can buy from HF, the job may be a little easer.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:54 PM   #11
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Reese View Post
1. so, is there a torque value on these nuts?
2. dont mean to hijack this thread, but how critical is the tightness of the spring leaf tie bolt/nut itself (seems the spring frame clamps take most of the compression pressure?)
i dunno but mine were broken and could see the zig zag hammering effect of each leaf sliding and riding on the bolt instead against each other.

whats left of a spring tie bolt

id imagine rather tightly but it is only a 5/16 diameter bolt so impact not necessary...

Back to origional question: what ive heard done OP is use a modern hex head bolt and file it down to be snug in your hole. Sure it would be best to get the hole back to proper size but it is an option.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:59 AM   #12
Brentwood Bob

dont forget to pean over the nut end of the center bolt. I just did this on a front spring. I left roughly a 1/16 proud and then ball peaned it. I backed the head of the bolt on steel. too heavy to balance and use a prick punch so opted for the ball pean treatment. And yes I used cclamps as insurance.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:25 PM   #13
Jeff M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I agree with Bob. I'd also like to see dimensions, but from what I see in your picture, I'd hold a copper plate on the bottom side of the hole and weld the hole in to the correct size. Hold the copper in place with a bottle jack.

Years ago I worked on a frame that had NO hole for the spring bolt. I had to find exact center and drill a hole, then file the 4 corners.
I went ahead and welded up both sides of the hole today. What size bit did you use if you recall? The top leaf of my spring has imprints of the guide holes so I figured I could use those as a reference to the location of the correct tie bolt hole.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:10 PM   #14
Tom Wesenberg

I measured across the flats of the bolt head and used that diameter drill bit.
I think the square bolt head takes a 1/2" wrench.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:53 PM   #15
Jeff M

Thanks!
Old 06-17-2014, 10:08 PM   #16
Jeff M

I drilled the holes today and it seemed to go smooth. Still need to file the tie bolt hole square. I went ahead and welded up the drivers side crank bearing hole and re-drilled it too.