Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-15-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
Jeff M

Default Dumb wishbone question

I'm currently reassembling my front end and had a few concerns. First of all, I'm using a different front axle than what I took off. It's still an original axle and it's been checked to be straight etc. My original perch bolts were in bad shape so I found a nice pair of NOS reproductions made in Argentina. These looked to be very old, probably 50's reproductions.

Anyways, I assumed the correct way to install the perch bolts straight was to install the shackles and main leaf to insure they would be bolted down correct. I've read a thread on here about aftermarket perches being too long making the cotter pin hole well below the castle nut. I didn't seem to have that problem, however the cotter hole was running 90* to the axle instead of being in line with it like the originals.

I screwed the nuts on the bolts until they were in line with the cotter holes and they seemed pretty tight. I then noticed I could see daylight between the bottom of the wishbone and the bottom of the axle. Nobody really told me a torque spec for the nuts, just "get them as tight as you can while still getting a cotter pin through". So I make them tighter and the passenger side seemed good to go. Pretty tight, no daylight between the bone and axle and the cotter pin lined up fine. The drivers side still had a little light between the wishbone bottom and the bottom of the axle. I could keep making it a little tighter, but as I did then cotter pin hole was deemed useless. It would make the cotter pin just barely under the castle nut.

My question is, do you think the wish bone is maybe bent? Any ideas on if I did anything wrong?
Jeff M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Dumb wishbone question

The front radius rod (wishbone) should slide snugly over the front axle. If there is any "sloppy movement", then the eyelets are bent. On a sidenote, many of those Argentina (Tommy Trailor) made perches have too big of a tapered shoulder and they cause a misaslignment with the brake actuator.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:53 PM   #3
Jeff M

It did fit snug over the axle before I put any perch bolts in it I believe. I did however have to pull one side to line up the eyelets with the perch bore to stick the other pin in. I assumed this was also a common thing involved.
Jeff M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #4
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff M View Post
It did fit snug over the axle before I put any perch bolts in it I believe. I did however have to pull one side to line up the eyelets with the perch bore to stick the other pin in. I assumed this was also a common thing involved.
It sounds like your wishbone is bent and forcing a twist into one end of your axle.